Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 2.2 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: My Slower Rebuild Thred

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2008, 01:04 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default My Slower Rebuild Thred

Now I know this has been done about 60 billion times but its like it has been said befor give x amout of people the same kit and you will have that many different trucks.

So here it is guy's my little 1/10th scale 2.2 trail based crawler, Jake. My ugly A$$ pride and joy. I Found this one on rcu and decided that I liked it and made a offer. It took 1 month to the day to make the deal happen and get the truck delivered my longest deal EVER!

The truck has TLT axels with a custom made frame (from what I was told it was made by some one here no offence but this frame is JUNK!) it has a Traxxas 3ch radio and 2ch reciever. it has a 55t motor with what I was told to be a 12t speed controller. The transmission is also a TLT. The wheels that is on it is from a wheely king from what the PO has told me, but I dont much trust his word anymore.

When I got the truck every nut bolt and screw was loose and there was no springs on it. So right off i had to get some washers and tighten everything up except the trans it was fine I thought. I have ran the truck maybe 10 times since I got it I have crawled with it 3 times (it sucked) 1 time in the yard over some wood and cender blocks, 1 time over a pile of gravel didnt do bad on that or on the small sand what ever. The rest of the time was just running it around on the beach in Padre Island. Some how during all of this I managed to drop 2 driveshafts (in my yard) a 4link bar and get two breaks in the chassis and tweak the tranny so the pinion gear dont align with the spur gear, all of which happened in Padre.

So with all of this I have decide to just completely redo the damned thing and be done with it.

Here is what I was supposed to be getting............

Here is what showed up! Pictured after I added my mashers and removed the traxxas tires!

Here is the 2nd biggest obstical I ran Jake over the biggest was the gravel pile.

Here is a picture of the break in the frame ther is another break on the other side.

More pictures and info to come. So stay tuned!
bent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2008, 01:09 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Almost forgot the front bumper was so tore up and so busted I just removed what was left and trashed it.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:44 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Well I have located a pede tranny and it is on the way in as is the shocks and springs new 4link bars and possibly some wheels. I also sanded and primed the body then sanded and primed again just as I do with any paint job. I then took and shot a coat of black on it and it messed up the paint is rough and spotty for some reason. Any body know what the easyest way is to remove paint? I have a lead on a frame but will take a couple weeks to get it all in so progress is going to slow down after this. Well here is a picture of it now still with a busted frame.

Old 08-06-2008, 01:20 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Wow, you don't sound bitter at all! It does suck to be dissapointed with a new toy. Looks like that frame needed some bracing. Are you going to build a new one or try to polish the turd you have? It looks like it was built out of an erector set.
slobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 06:19 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Hey I made that frame!!!
It took me over 50 hrs to build and I think it performs great your just to hard on it.....

Just kiddin I didnt build it. But If I were you I would start from scratch!!!!
rcjeepbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 12:12 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

I have to admit..........that looks very familier. It seems like I have seen
it on here before. Or something very similar. Now I'm curious. I'll have to
take a look later. (I'm at work and I'm not suppose to spend as much time
online as I do.)
Good luck with the rebuild. I think rcjeepbuilder is right........you'd almost
be better off starting over.
gyrene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 02:05 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by slobert View Post
Wow, you don't sound bitter at all! It does suck to be dissapointed with a new toy. Looks like that frame needed some bracing. Are you going to build a new one or try to polish the turd you have? It looks like it was built out of an erector set.
Nah man im not bitter just a little pissed is all!

As far as a completlynew build I cannot fund that right now I am going to do good just getting a new frame. I do plan on getting new 4 link bars so that I can trash the thredded crapp and have some tubular ones. I also plan on sifting through all of my lights and see wht I have that will work on the truck. I am also planning a new paint job still undecided on what though, I will either do an americn flag type scheme or a stop light red with grey under it and some pin striping. I am also planning on getting a new front brush gaurd / front bumper made up as well as a diamond plate front and possibly center skid plate. Thats about as far ahead as I have thought I may get some crome axial wheels if I can afford that with new rubber.

Anybody want tothrough some ideas at me feel free to i am open to them all.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:17 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

You win some you lose some, my first so called crawler that I brought was CRAP it was a stick/clod with 27T motors and everytime you thought about touching the throttle it would just flip over. So I took the sledge hammer to it lol.

Don't let this little hick-up get you down, keep building it up and you will soon have a crawler that will crawl with the best of 'em.
SMUDGEBUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 07:53 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyrene View Post
I have to admit..........that looks very familier. It seems like I have seen
it on here before. Or something very similar. Now I'm curious. I'll have to
take a look later. (I'm at work and I'm not suppose to spend as much time
online as I do.)
Good luck with the rebuild. I think rcjeepbuilder is right........you'd almost
be better off starting over.
Yes you are right you have seen this truck posted here before. I posted it so I could gather all the information I could on it and have a much better idea on what I had and was dealing with. See this is the first scale/crawler that I have ever owned.

SMUDGEBUG had that been my truck I would have did some digging and added some weight to the front of it but then that is me so. Not to worry I am going to rebuild it and then we will see if I still have the skills and talent that I had once had on the 1/24 models

UPDATE: I started resanding the body again and working it so that I can get a batter finnish only I ran out of paper. I also plan on just getting me a new frame I didnt find one in the FS section. I have decided to ripp the gold shocks from the rc10t that I have and use them till I can get the appropriate ones for the truck.

SMUDGEBUG
Old 08-07-2008, 03:06 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bent View Post
SMUDGEBUG had that been my truck I would have did some digging and added some weight to the front of it but then that is me so. Not to worry I am going to rebuild it and then we will see if I still have the skills and talent that I had once had on the 1/24 models
SMUDGEBUG

LOL, I did add some weight to the front about 40lb worth of sledgehammer I saved the diffs and that was all I saved.

Glad to hear your rebuilding, can't wait to see pics, I use to customise 1/64th scale models and I actually find it harder to do something on the larger scale.

Last edited by SMUDGEBUG; 08-07-2008 at 03:09 AM.
SMUDGEBUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 11:53 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I am definantly rebuilding Jake and everytime I mention the broken stuff to the PO I get the run around so screw it. I have since REsanded the body so it is now orange and grey and black but is smooth as a babys ass. I am going to try to primer it tomorrow and hope it dont mess up then I want to lay a design just dont know what yet. Limited budget wont let me do what I want to do. Guess that is the joy of it all.

A question for all you master minds out there why is my battery connector not making a good connection and getting almost hot?????????
Old 08-08-2008, 01:23 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Ok guys here is a slight little update. After screwing up on my last paint job I decided to resand it all and start over again. good thing is the body is alot smoother than the first time round except for a couple bad spots in the body not paint. I am waiting on my real fine plastic model car sand paper to get in so that I can do a wet sand and really get things smoothed out. Now befor you go knocking the wheels they are there for sh^ts and kiks I will not be using these on Jake.

Old 08-08-2008, 11:40 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

I have did the wet sand thing and well its going to be a 4 foot paint job so I have it reassembled. The stampede trans is in but needs to be locked, and im cluless on how to do this, and the spur gear put on. I still need to get the k2-3 frame hopefully will be able to do in a week or so. Then after that comes a 1 off front piece. Well here is a picture I did get the rear bumper glued and sprayed. I am getting closer to deciding wht color i want the truck to be. I am thinking of using house of kolor's Kustom kolor for model cars If I can still get it if not I will do a Testers job and clear coat it

Last edited by bent; 08-08-2008 at 11:45 PM. Reason: Added to post
Old 08-11-2008, 10:50 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

0k no more talk about the PO and the bitterness is out the window.

I am going down thursday to get some paint and depending on what is available will determain what I get I have been thinking about a indy silver or a red or blue and even thought about purple, I am a still undecided, will just have to see. I can say that it will most likley be a low rider or nascar color seeing as how that is the only model cars that the store stocks.

I did get a stampede trans as mention I just need to get it locked but have no clue on how to do that. I do have some wheels comming in and possibly some tires as well as a competition frame. Though I may hold out for the K2-3S and just use the comp frame for a different project.

Hopefully come friday I will have some more pictures of the body and of the new parts.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:12 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Finally some real progress for you guy's and gal's. Here is my temparary chassis built I dont know much about building these and dont have no other parts than what I already had so this will be the only stance that I have for this chassis. I am still in the process of getting me a K2-3S chassis. Well here is a couple pictures.

Old 08-15-2008, 12:30 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

0k guy's here it is the last lil update till after I get my new frame and such in. I know the paint job aint great but the paint that was bought wasnt the brand I requested but I can work with it. I am going to get some textured paint and do the bed to make it look like it has a bed liner. Hopefully I will have my new chassis tires wheels and fourlink bars by this time next week.

Enjoy!!!

Last edited by bent; 08-15-2008 at 12:32 AM. Reason: typos
Old 09-04-2008, 05:53 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Ok guy's I have a K2-3L chassis, complete, that is paid for and is supposed to be on the way. I also have a set of 2.2 IMEX swamp Dawgs and possibly some 2.2 Wheely King wheels commming in as soon as the MO gets there, I was out bid on my Black foot bod :-( by a nickle, and I also have some 4 link bars and a set of pede wheels and a set of used tires comming inas well. So be looking for an update soon. This clod body will stay purple untill I can get a few more dollars to get me a new one.

Last edited by bent; 09-04-2008 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Errors Duh!
Old 09-10-2008, 03:20 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

I have made some real progress today and I still have alot more to go. I FINALLY got my K2-3L chassis in today as well as some other parts so now after about 3-4 hrs of slowly working on th truck I have this a 10 almost 11inch tall non crawler. I will have more pics later just need to get other things done first. Here take a look please let me know what you think.

I have also got these comming in and I plan on putting the dawgs on the king wheels and running them.

Last edited by bent; 09-10-2008 at 05:37 PM. Reason: added a pic or two..............or three
Old 09-11-2008, 02:17 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Default Jake Rebuild

I have sinse swapped out the lower 4 link bars on the front for the ones that I had already which in turn made the wheels base a tad longer, an I am considering doing the rear the same way, so that I can have a 12.5inch wheel base. I have also carefully removed the IMEX Swamp Dawgs from the Claw rims and put them on the White ones that is pictured. I was originally going to pull the tires from the HPI wheely king wheels and add the swamp dawgs to them but changed my mind after I seen that there was no chome on the bead of the wheely king wheels. Now all I have to do is modify my pede trans and get everything wired up. After that I will start on the accesorys.

Will post pics a lil later.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:32 PM   #20
Nope..

Honestly, it's too tall. Lower it down some and you should be ok.
Brainstain is offline   Reply With Quote