Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 2.2 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: John Rebuilds The Bog Hog

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2009, 07:55 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default John Rebuilds The Bog Hog

well guys like i said in the last thread i sold the bog hog to John Cena. i ended up blowing the axles out of it and just couldnt keep up with the maintenance. to i cleaned it up and sold it to john. now john is a good friend of mine so he told me i was more then welcome to help him with the rebuild and that i was also welcome to take pics of the progress. so anyway i sold the truck to him as is. it came with a 35t warrior motor, a xl-5 esc, pede tranny, traxxas radio stuff, traxxas shocks a blazer body, full interior 4 custom cut 2.2 rock claws, and 4 2.2 swamp dawgs and no axles-

so the first thing he did was buy himself some brand new axial axles-

he has them mounted on the rock claws for moving around/
before i could get some pics of the front axle he took it all apart because the axle wasnt locked-

he checked it all over to make sure it really wasnt locked and indeed it wasnt, which means now he has to try and find a single locker.

so he put the front axle aside and decided he would start workin on the rear one. so he started by checking to see where the holes were for the top link mount-

then he mared them out and drilled and cut them to fit(sry no pics of it drilled and cut of of the axle)

then after he got it all drilled and ready he tried to put the yoke on the axle but it didnt fit at all-

he tried with all his mite and it didnt move a mm-

so he checked it over and found that the shaft only had one flat side on it so it wouldnt work with a traxxas yoke, which means that now he has to try and get some axial yokes for it-

so he gave up on the shafts and focused on getting the rear end mouted on and making sure there wasnt any problems. so he got the top link mount mounted on the axles and got the shocks and everything hooked up(tires were on just for easier movement of the axle)-

Voila

it looked great until we put the tires on and noticed that one tire was back slightly farther than the other.
good one-
[IMG]
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...esley901-1.jpg[/IMG]
bad one-

john checking it out-

so he took the tires off-

and we thought it was the bottom links that one was longer than the other but nope-

so we took the front links off anf still looked perfect, so he just shortened the bottom link of the side of the one tire that was back farther and it looked alot better-

he also noticed that the shocks were hiting the top links and they were binding alot so he decided he would mount the links in more on the frame part, so he added some spacers-

we checked it all out and no more binding and it looks alot better. also john spent all of his money on buying this rig and he was wondering if someone could help him out by donating a axial axle locker or some axial diff yokes(or even one he dont care he just want to get atleast the rear end turning) so he can get this build really going. he said he is willing to pay for shipping also. -Wes and John
johndeerekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2009, 08:10 PM   #2
j0e
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndeerekid View Post
...the shaft only had one flat side on it so it wouldnt work with a traxxas yoke, which means that now he has to try and get some axial yokes for it-
you could simply drill out the inside of the traxxas yoke and then it will fit.
the set screw will seat on the flat spot on the axle's output shaft.
-or-
you could grind the lip off the output shaft and grind a flat spot on the other side.
j0e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 02:11 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

thanks for the great advice man, it came in very handy!

well me and john headed to the local hobby shop and boght some stock traxxas yokes because we really wanted to get this sucker going-

so we got them out of the package, cut off the little lip thing and got them ready to go on some shafts-

after a couple of hours of taking off the rear axle and drilling a hole through the mega strong output shaft on the axles we finally got the shafts on there-

after we got the shafts on john moved onto putting the axle back on the truck-

then we decided that we would put the front axle back together and see how it does with an unlocked front end. so first he put the big gear back together-

then he put it in the case and put the shafts in-

then he put the bevel gear back inside the other half of the case after we drilled it out for the driveshaft-

than he put the cases together and screwed it shut-

i went to go to the washroom and not 5 minutes later i came back to find him out cold on the sleeping bag i kept in the truck-

so i decided i would finish up the axle for him-

after about an hour i woke john back up to help get the axle mounted up-

so he took off the old top link mount that was make for a tlt axle-

then he set it up on the new axle-

then he drew the holes on it-

then we cut it out and he mounted it up-

it looked good but alot of overhang so we ended up cutting off all of the exess afterwards(sry no pic of it cut up) he also got the steering link makd for the axle-

then it was time to bolt on the tires, and hook up the links to see how it looked-

we got it all hooked up and it looked hilarious-

the front end was waaaaayyyy too far forward so we shortened up the bottom links-

and this is how it came out-

it looked awsome-

john wanted to get some poser pics so here they are-

well after the poser shoot we went to bed(we live in same house but he rents downstairs and i rent upstairs, and thats how we met). i got up bright and early the next morning and made a link from the servo to the axle, and i decided to take the truck for a little test run. i figured i would let cena sleep since he drank quite a bit the night before. i went out with a few buddies and i wanted to see how it would crawl without a locked front end-

it didnt do well at all at crawling because withot a locked front end there was nothing to pullt eh truck over what it was crawling. so we decided that e would try some trail riding. well towards the end of our trail ride there was a little mud pit and it didnt lok all that deep, but man was i wrong:eek i ended up swamping it and getting stuck and getting a budy to pull me out. i didnt get any pics out there but i did get some when i got home. when i did get home john was pissed offfff:notcool

after john finished yelling at me he went inside and told me to give it a wash, but i had to get somebetter pics of the truck without him yelling in them-

after i cleaned it up i talked to john about how it performed, and we decided the next things he is getting for it is a front end locker and some 1.9 rock crushers. -Wes
Old 07-01-2009, 01:27 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

anyway after john flipped on me about it being muddy i tore the whole truck apart and cleaned it and john told me he had odered a locker for the front end and he said he would call me when it came in. anyway a few weeks later i get a call from john and he says to get over here and bring the cam we got a truck to work on.

a package came in from amain hobbies-

so john opened it up-

and looky what ws inside-

some brand new STRC lockers-

so we went to work, first john took the top links off-

then the bottom ones and the shocks-

then we took the axle off and moved it then took the top link mount off-

then off came the steering knuckles-

john showing off his mad muscle-

then off came the driveshaft-

then he took the screws out of the axles-

then we split the axle in half-

kinda dirty-

john took the big gear out-

then took it apart-

john took a look inside to make sre nothing was broken-

then we took all of the gears out-

then john put the locker in and pt the top back on and screwed it on-

then put the bearing back on the gear-

then we put it back in the axle and greased it up-

then the shafts went in and put some grease on the end of those to keep water out-

then we put the casings back together and put grease on the output gear to keep water from getting in, and put the steering knuckles back on-

then screwed the casing back together-

then we put the shaft back on and axle the was fully locked and ready to go in-

a few weeks later me and my dad went to johns again to help him with the rig. he said we wanted to get rid of the top dual indepedant link set-up on top because it was binding wayyyy too much, but he didnt know what to do to replace it. but my dad remebered that for the top links on one of his mud trucks they did a wish bone kind of thing and he said it worked amazing so john said lets give it a try and this is what my dad came up with-
front-

rear-

my dad custom welded it all himself(hes a professional welder and has been doing it for 30yrs+)

anyway john got some nuts and bolts for it and he started putting it together, he started with the rear end-

then he got me to hold the wrench to keep the nut from moving as he tightened the bolt-

after the rear end was all set-up and looking good-

he started on the front end, he put the bolt in-

buttt the bolt wasnt long enough for the front end because my dad made it different so it would clear the shocks-

after going to about 10 hardware stores we found a bolt at my LHS that was justttt long enough so we put it in there-

it was just perfect-

so after that john hooked up the stering links to the servo-

then john put all of the pins and hexes in the truck for the tires-

then john showing off his muscles again lifted the truck so i could get the tires out that were holding it up-

then i put a large yellow barrel under the truck to keep it up so we could get the tires under it-

to get the front tire out john sat on the back and the truck tipped just enought to get the tires out-

then john got off and the truck stayed put(thank god)

then john put the tires on and tightened them up-

john was really exhausted for working on the truck and i think he might have had a little too much to drink the night before because when we got him he wasnt feelin that great-

so john decided he was gunna go to sleep and he said to wake him once i get the interior in-

so after john went to bed i got the truck offon the stand and wanted to see how much articulation this truck had now and all i can saw what a difference-

this truck has much better articulation than before and there is absloutely no binding anymore which mean the wishbones are working perfectly.

after the articulation trial i put the interior in-

then i put the front seat in-

then woke john up and he came and checked it out-

he loved it and wanted to try it-

so while he sat there and waited i got the electronics in-

put the reciever inside the truck-

i put the body and cage on and it looked awsome-

john was extremely pleased and took it for a test run-

pulled back in the drive way 5 minutes later and said something is messed in the rear end and this is what we saw-

the top links popped out and the yoke popped out because of it, so we found we forgot to put a washer in to keep the top link from popping out so we put the washer in and away he went and cam back an hour later and said he absolutely loves this truck -Wes and John
Old 07-01-2009, 03:11 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Looks good man!

I kept having my axles load up with mud. If you see there's two holes on either side on the top of the axles just above where the shocks mount. Fill in those holes and you wont have that problem anymore
Warn Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 05:09 PM   #6

Nice little rebuild you and John did there. I love all these builds with the little guys.
Decimati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 06:04 PM   #7

Default good job

good job on the truck...i liked what you did with the wishbone suspension...good idea
slimm87654321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 09:07 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

You have done a great job with this build. I just have one question. How do you have that much time to take that many pictures . Keep up the good work .
70duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 11:05 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

That was an awsome build, it made me laugh a couple of times. Thanks for taking a new spin on what could have been . . . . .just another build thread.
Sevier Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 11:57 PM   #10
PapaGriz Yo

Wow, that is some kind of industrial sized roll of duct tape. Must be 4ft wide or so.

Awesome build thread.
Why didn't you tell John to just JB Weld the front diff gears though?
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 10:52 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Default Great Looking Chevy

I enjoyed watching the John Cena Show. That rig turned out great.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 11:10 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

Very entertaining write up.
Nor*CalDefender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 08:32 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

warn off road- thanks! and i looked at those hole and man that is one stupid flaw, im gunna just fill em up with glue cent time i got it apart thanks for the tip bud!

Decimati- thanks man!

slimm- thanks, and i cant take all the credit my dad pretty much came up with it.

70duncan- thank you! and yeah i try and find time whenver im not busy me and john get to work on the hog.

sevier crawler- haha im glad you are enjoying the thread man!

Grizzly 4x4- lol, and thanks man! i did but john wanted to get lockers incase he ever wanted to swap the axles into something that dont need a locked front end.

fernando- glad you enjoyed the thread man!

Nor*CalDefender- thank you!

well me and john and a couple other buddies went for a massive trail ride a few weeks ago and got tons of footage but after it all my cam decided it was gunna reformat itself and delete all video, then we went for some mud bogging afterwards but used a different cam and heres all the footage we could get before the batts died- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6Gm273ruSs .

John had so much fun out there and the truck performed amazingly, he was so happy and so was i heres a few pics of john on the truck when we got home.

there was lotssss of mud, and the truck was covereddd.

John got stuck in one of the pits and the rear left corner was way under water.

we took the body off to see how muddy the unders were.

it didnt look too bad. so john started removing everything startinjg with the battery.

then put it on one of the project trucks we are working on.

then out with the reciever.

then John unscrewed the bed.

then we lifted it off and set it aside.

then john unhooked the esc from the motor.

then pulled out the esc and set it aside.

man this sucker was way muddier then we thought.

we had to do some on trail fixing when the nut and bolt holding the top link came out and fell off. electrical tape did the trickLOL.

then onto the big yellow drum it went.

then john took all the wheels off.

heres a pic after john finished taking off one of the tires. there was lots of mud packed in there.

all the tires off.

then john unscrewed and took out the tranny.

after we took the tranny out john got called off somewhere and that was the last i heard from him till a couple days ago he called, he sounded so excited and told me i needed to get my butt over there with the camera.

so i headed over and this is what i saw.

john had taken apart the whole truck, cleaned it, and repainted the whole chassis, interior and the frame spacer things.

this is what the chassis used to look like.

well John got started putting it back together.

i put the screws in.

then in went the rear and got screwed in.

john loved the new look of the chassis.

then in went the servo.

then he put some new velcro down for the esc.

then before getting too far ahead with the electronics he rolled the front end into place.

then he hooked everything up.

he needed help installing the rear end so no pics of that.

then he screwed the tranny in.

the whole truck was looking much better.

then in went the esc.

then we put the bed in and john screwed it down.

then he put his seat in.

re-installed the steering wheel.

i noticed john had put a screw in the rear of the interior and i asked what it was for but john said just wait and see. as soon as he rolled the tire into the truck i knew what it was.

on the trail ride the spare tire kept falling out of the truck so he put the screw in to bold it down. it was perfect length.

bolted it all in and looked great.

then he zip tied the antenna and the sleeping bag to the chassis

then he put one of those smiley things on his antennaLOL

truck looked awsome!

poser shots

enjoy -Wes
Old 07-22-2009, 08:47 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

this is teh best build thread ever!!!! i love it!!!! but you must spend hours doing all this, but keep it up!!!
IWantATurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 02:30 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWantATurbo View Post
this is teh best build thread ever!!!! i love it!!!! but you must spend hours doing all this, but keep it up!!!
haha thanks man! and yeah it takes a while but i think its worth it.

anyway me and john hevent really worked on the truck for quite a while but john stopped by last night with the hog to show me a few things and toget some pics so i could update everyone on the truck. he came by a few days before but i didnt have the camera. anyway my dad did a bunch of welding for john. john decided to get rid of the cage, and my dad built him some bumpers.-

By the way this is my dads old truck and this is what john decided he wanted to base the truck on. he plans on getting some 1.9 steel beadlocks and rok loxs to match the 44" mudders my dad had on his-

john also picked up a new flowmaster exhaust and got my dad to weld it on there-

and john told me not to ask about the velcro, but he said its going to be sweeeet-

john also brought over a bunch of stickers he wanted to put ot, and some new speedometers and gauges-

he also picked up some new license plates since he lost one of them and the other one got messed up-

he also showed me he got a radio installed, finally-

first thing that went on was the niagara drivetrain sticker. one of our local buddies own it. he made the toughest driveshafts around-

then he installed the guages-

then on went the flowmaster sticker which came with the exhaust, and a kc hilites sticker that came with the new lights john got but he forgot them at work so that will have to wait for another day-

then he put the new plates on there-

then john went into his truck and came out wth these windsheild wipers. he said he was tired of not being able to see when he went muddin.

i think they look pretty sweet on there-

then lastly i gave john a few tools t throw in the truck for next time he went muddin since he had no tools-

sadly that was the last pic i got before the battery died. also heres a video from a little while ago that i shot up at my cottage- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyKQwp0iUag&fmt=18 , enjoy. -Wes