Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 2.2 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: first build ....need advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2009, 07:44 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Exclamation Jeep TJ build ....need advice

I thought I'd attempt to make a tube frame for my ax10. Well the brazing just didnt work too good for me b/c i was using a butane mini torch. Thats all i can figure. I was able to get everything together that is seen in the next few pics. But I just decided i'd weld it b/c it is alooot faster. So from here out the rest will be welded.

I started this back 6 months ago and got pissed at not being able to braze fast enough. Since then i've gotten a welder and decided im gonna finish since i had 50 buck tied up in material (brake line and brazing stuff).

I kinda started bass ackwards. I looked at a ton of these custom jeep builds and decided thats what I wanted to make and just went from a build thread i seen on here. I dont have a body to go by so thats why its gettin a lil tuff now lol.

So for starters Ill show what it looked like new after nearly half a day of assembly.

Here is what it looks like now. (the front hoop is just proped up on the shocks and the link mounts are not welded to the tube)

just an above shot of the pic above

and now all tacked up and link plates cut

Now for my hold up, I have no idea how i want to do the hood and front end. I dont think I can fab up a jeep hood and not interested in buyin a lexan body just to get the hood (may not fit anyways since i just started building). So my next idea is just make this a Samuria. I can come close to makein it look like one from what i got i think.

next is my shock mounts. I want it to look somewhat realistic and to flex good too. If i go straight up and down with the shocks will it limit my flex? what is some mounting options i could use on it.

Right now the link setup/drivetrain is stock specs so if I put the shock back at stock spec I know it should work good.

One more thing...how much clearance would be good? In the first mock up pic its sittin at 2 3/4 inches. But i think im gonna go up to 3 to 3 1/4 inches that way the shock wont be taller than the hood and rear end. I forgot to measure the stock clearance before i tore it apart.

Sorry I ramble on and have alot of questions,
Just lookin for some suggestions and what not on where to go from here.

Last edited by YelloTJ; 11-28-2009 at 09:52 PM. Reason: changed title
YelloTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2009, 08:57 PM   #2
RCC Addict

looks like a good start and pick up a mapp gas torch from lowes or home depot. and it work alot better.
rocpede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 02:33 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

well today i thought i'd mess around and try to get it lookin like what im shootin for by using some paper to make it take shape. also tryin to get some ideas on the shock mounts too since i got new places in the rear to work with.

still gotta bend some rear roll bars, i think i may go with this look.
looks like the hood needs to be a lil shorter too maybe. might just be the big bow in it .
Old 11-28-2009, 09:45 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

got a lil more work done on the cage today....

cant make my mind up one where to mount the shocks so i think im just gonna have holes to mount them both ways (top pic more realistic, and bottom pic stock axial for better flexin.)

I also got to lookin at jeeps and realized i got my hood piece too high so i gotta cut it off and drop it bout 3/8" i guess and that will be the top of the front fender.

can anybody tell me the pros and cons of straight up and down? Looks like its gonna limit flex buy i dont know.
Old 11-30-2009, 06:46 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

WTF guys how many times will i have to ask this... over 150 views and only 1 guy has offered some advice on the brazin.( thanks )

Gonna ask again....

"I want it to look somewhat realistic and to flex good too. If i go straight up and down with the shocks will it limit my flex? "

"One more thing...how much clearance would be good?"

"Can anybody tell me the pros and cons of straight up and down? Looks like its gonna limit flex buy i dont know."

I know Im not no big name custom builder on here that everybody keeps an eye on so I can understand the lack of interest but would somebody be so kind to help a first time builder out.

Thanks
Old 11-30-2009, 07:32 PM   #6
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by YelloTJ View Post
WTF guys how many times will i have to ask this...
Easy Tiger....sometimes it takes a bit of time to build up an audience

You have a great start going, so don't get discouraged by a lot of details right now.

As far as your hood goes, have you thought about going with an older Jeep hood.....one that is more flat like an old military style? That's pretty easy to make, and is a pretty decent looking hood. Here is how I did mine...just simple aluminum sheet rolled on a piece of rod:

Yet another PSC Build

As for your shocks, it really depends on what you are trying to build. You have a scale build going, so don't think you need to have a lot of articulation...Make your upper mounts adjustable so that you can decide as you go, how much flex you really need. You won't be getting the same as your stock AX-10, but you will have a much cooler truck when you are done, because it will be yours

C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 06:48 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Thanks for tips on the shock mounting. That is one sweet rig you got goin in that link. The hood looks good too. I may try something like that

Sorry bout the wtf post, this thing is gettin the best of me again. I started it 4-6 months ago and just said the heck with it and now i started back at and just started gettin agravated b/c im ready to be done with it.
Old 12-01-2009, 07:15 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I know what you mean, in fact we all do. looks good like he said^ get a map gas torch, i like the bernz-o-matic fat boy mini torch kit comes with a mini torch [much easier] mapp gas and oxegen

my opinionn http://http://www.bernzomatic.com/PR...3/Default.aspx
CUSTOMHILUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 07:37 PM   #9
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by YelloTJ View Post

Sorry bout the wtf post, this thing is gettin the best of me again. I started it 4-6 months ago and just said the heck with it and now i started back at and just started gettin agravated b/c im ready to be done with it.
DON'T LOSE PATIENCE!!!!!! I lost track of mine as well, but the best piece of advice I got was from 51WillysJeep himself......patience!! If you have to walk away from it for awhile, and come back later that's Ok. You have a great start....don't blow it by rushing it "just to get it done". You're doing good
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 09:59 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

I Finally got the shock mounts made, lowered the hood and added a stinger. Im not really happy with how high it sits and the lack of flex.

whats some ways I can get it flexing better without buying shorter shocks? Im on a really tight budget since my wife isnt working now so try to shoot me some cheap solutions.

I dont have a pic of it flexed out but it prolly wouldnt go 3 1/2 inches.

Old 12-08-2009, 10:11 PM   #11
RCC Addict

you could get softer springs, that will help you articulate a little better, i think it looks bad ass man, good work so far on the brazing, i havent gotten to try that yet but soonn, you should get some styrene and make and intirior and all that jazz keep it up man....
ctrwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 04:33 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrwannabe View Post
you could get softer springs, that will help you articulate a little better, i think it looks bad ass man, good work so far on the brazing, i havent gotten to try that yet but soonn, you should get some styrene and make and intirior and all that jazz keep it up man....
thanx for the compliments, i think i may take the springs off and see what that does. im not up to date of all the leango on here but i think that what people are callin droop setup. As far as doin interior, I hope to do that too if i can ever get the frame done and some body panels made. Its a SLOOOW goin build and workin overtime everyday doesnt help.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:44 PM   #13

you could try cutting and stretching the spring back out to length i used to do it with my paintball guns to reduce velocity for comps it should work
masterofdeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 05:12 PM   #14
RCC Addict

how does it flew w/ the shocks slated in to the center like in the second pic of it.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:42 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

ok i took the springs off and it looks and flexs alot better. Sits at about the height i was shootin for.

The middle pic is how it flexed with the springs and with shock slanted back.

bottom pic is all the flex its got w/o springs

oh yeah dont be hatin on the electronics hangin everywhere. i had to drive it a lil while =) that is just temp.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:20 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

Made some cardboard body templates to go by for when i get some thin enough metal to work with. Still gotta make some fender weels , rear floor and a hood
Old 12-11-2009, 05:39 PM   #17
RCC Addict

it looks alot w/ out the springs. now u need to get some internal springs to help slow the axle movement down when crawling.
Old 12-12-2009, 01:44 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

Well I think i've got a pretty good set of body templates to work with.(Just call it a shoe box crawler lol) the piece behind hood will need alot of work to make it look right on the sides.
I've seen a build on here few months ago where they was using cookin sheets to make body panels from a mold. I was thinkin of using the same thing but I couldnt find any at walmart last night that didnt have humps in the bottom. Where can i get some that are flat and has alot of area to cut and use?
Old 12-12-2009, 01:47 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Looks good ! Metal masher made a thread on some vids he made on how to form those panels maybe it says in oneof the vids ?
ctrwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 02:40 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

go to a local lowes, thin sheet metal dont cost alot, normally can get a 2ft by 2ft square for 10-15 dollars
88gmchog is offline   Reply With Quote