Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 2.2 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Bruiser tranny Q's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2004, 07:57 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Bruiser tranny Q's

I am interested in getting a Bruiser tranny for a scale project I want to do, but I have a few questions.

1- how big/long are they and what is the wieght?
2- are they decently strong?(like enough for a set of 7" tires)

I want to make this as realistic as possible and was going to use the 1/6 scale motor from RC4WD and TXT axles with a 21st century toys Flat Fender body and a steel frame - so would the Bruiser tranny be a good canidate or no?
jeep_boy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2004, 08:09 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Bruiser tranny Q's

the bruiser tranny is extremly heavy. because of their age it is hard to determine their reliability and because parts are very hard to find they are expensive. they are about 7 inches long. i think you would be much better of buying a tamiya big rig tranny because its an actual 3 speed. the bruiser tranny is 3 speed but its 2wd hi, 2wd lo, and 4wd lo. with the big rig tranny you will have to make a transfer case. but it is much more scale.
thegodofclod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 09:17 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

how much are those trannies and how would I go about making a transfer? - dont they make 6 wheel drive big rigs?
Old 10-18-2004, 09:02 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

How about this:

http://rc4wd.com/shop/product_info.p...f0ccff44672ed9

MUD4FUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 02:48 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

nope that thing dont even look worthy for2.2s - plus I talked to a guy who had one in a Bruiser and it gave up on him on the first run.
Old 10-18-2004, 04:20 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Really? I'm surprised, I use a bog standard vintage 1/10 buggy rear gearbox as my transfer box and that has lasted well over 30 hours crawling so far with a 550 motor, 8.4v and even had 14.4v plus a reduction box. Only modification I made was to lock up the diff and then drill it thru to provide location for a new shaft to suit the traxxas sliders. The new shaft is pinned into the diff.

These buggy gearboxes cost only a few dollars off ebay and seem rugged enough. That RC4WD units looks far stronger! What sort of motor/power are you running?

This is a pic from below my crawler chassis during construction:

This is after fitting the reduction box:

Old 10-18-2004, 07:18 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I am not running any power on it cause I am only in the Research and fore-shadowing stage, and thats even before the concept stage - so its pretty far out
Old 10-19-2004, 02:25 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

LOL, a fair way off complete then! good luck with your project, I hope you get a gearbox sorted out. I look farward to seeing the pics of it completed
Old 10-20-2004, 11:19 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I agree that for the size of tires you are looking to use, I would stay away from the bruiser tranny. The big rig trannies are good, but not sure about running them with 7" tall tires unless you are planning to use a 2:1 gear reduction transfer case. As for t-cases, I build one using gears that I found in a junk store that works pretty good in the dually that I built that was in the may issue of RCCA. I have also built a t-case from stock parts of the TLT 1, but I do not like using belts in the drivelines. Rc4wd did have a t-case for the semi tranny, but again, it was only 1:1, so I dont think this would give you the kick that you are looking for. I would consider using either a juggernaut/txt/or mammoth transmission. Remember the mammoth came with a gear reduction unit that was killer for lots of grunt and with the size of your tires, I would consider that.

Nate
sig_p232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 11:03 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

It would be easier to use a TXT tranny since I gots one, but I dont think it will do? Looks like it will hang down too far. I really dont like how the TXT tranns are so tall and when I get a Maxx tranny for my TXT's then I will mock that up and see if it will work. -- For this project I want to make it as realisitic as possible so the more "inline" the trans/transfer is the better.
Old 10-21-2004, 10:47 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

have you considered using a tranny out of an old cordless drill? You will still need to fabricate a t-case, but i know that the dewalt gearboxes out of a 14.4V drill will hold up a lot better then one out of a tamiya semi. I love the little 3 speed gearboxes from tamiya, but i dont think they would take the abuse from the large tires.

Just a thought, check out your local pawn shop.

Nate
sig_p232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 11:45 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

the motor in the 1/6th scale hemi is a crap motor so you will also have to replace that. i know the semi trans is pretty strong but the 7 inch tire may be its downfall. (i didnt remember seeing the 7 inch tire thing so thats why i said the semi trans) the t-case would need a lot of reduction like 1 to 3 at least for you to get some life out of the trans. the shear weight and size of the tires will put an ASS load of wear on your gears. plus if you miss a shift your gonna be buying new gears and re-assembling the trans cus the tires will toast the plastic no problem. just what i was thinking......
thegodofclod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 08:39 AM   #13

Well why dont we figure out the reduction, shall we? Lets assume the stock big rig tires are 2 inches tall. (Pi*2^2)/4 = 3.14159" rollout. a 7 inch tire now. (pi*7^2)4 = 38.484" roll out. if we divide them we will get the ratio needed to compensate for the bigger tires. This = a 12.25:1 ratio needed to comensate for the tires. Now you also need to factor in the axle ratios but they are probably a negligable difference. I dont think you would want to go as fast as the tractor truck, so factor in a double reduction, for a crawler anyway.
outfitter540 is offline   Reply With Quote