Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 2.2 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: advice needed from the ttc vets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2010, 08:00 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default advice needed from the ttc vets

alright guys i have been eyeballing threads and everytime i jump on this is one of the first places i look, what im wondering, and yes my search button works, this is more of a preference and reasoning question, is..what would you guys consider to be a better tranny/transer or motor/tranny combo im gonna start my build here very soon but im stuck on choices and need some advice

1: axial trans with puller/and transfer case
2: summit trans
3:rc4wd disruptor/and transfer

im planning on 3s but am debating 4s, i will have loaded axial axles 2.2 tsl's etc

thanks for your time, and yes smart ass comments are always welcomed and appreciated.(i left my fellings at home so dont worry about hurting them)
boosted4lyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2010, 08:18 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

can't go wrong with the 2 speed summit from what I've seen, Other than it's kind of bulky. If you go 4s it should be the toughest out of the 3 choices. Good luck on your build.
bassinguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 10:02 PM   #3
RCC Addict

if i was building a ttc truck i would use the summit ,i haven't built a chassis with one but if i could that would be my choice .
warriorsimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 11:06 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosted4lyf View Post
alright guys i have been eyeballing threads and everytime i jump on this is one of the first places i look, what im wondering, and yes my search button works, this is more of a preference and reasoning question, is..what would you guys consider to be a better tranny/transer or motor/tranny combo im gonna start my build here very soon but im stuck on choices and need some advice

im planning on 3s but am debating 4s, i will have loaded axial axles 2.2 tsl's etc

thanks for your time, and yes smart ass comments are always welcomed and appreciated.(i left my fellings at home so dont worry about hurting them)
1. This combo is what I use in my Bronco as a scale comp truck and TTC rig. It's the best overall combo as far as building a truly scale truck. Much easier to build around the Axial/t-case than a Summit.

2. The Summit is a truly bullet proof, giant trans. if you're after the best overall TTC specific rig, I'd say this is the one. I'd run a brushless if possible due to the fact that you can seal them up with some silicone sealer and keep the grit out of the motor. Pullers don't like mud and grit.

3. Stay away from RC4WD t-cases, everyone that I know has blown them up.

So, as far as a TTC specific rig, I'd build an SCX10 based rig with a Summit transmission without a t-case, running a brushless motor with a Mamba Max Pro on anywhere from 3 to 6 cell lipo. Good luck.
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 05:55 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

thanks guys thats whats i was after
Old 11-26-2010, 12:04 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosted4lyf View Post

1. axial if putting upgraded gears and outputs/ not real sure about how good the t-case is, never used one. but will need to fine tune gearing options to find the sweet spot for a ttc truck. needs good puling power with top end for mud pits, and high speed for climbing. so one gearing is fun to find

2. summit is fun to build around. nice and big. the tranny seems to be a good allaround tranny for a ttc build. but if going to use it for alittle trail run kind of sucks. with it being a two speed it has some slop in the two speed. what I mean by that the shift arm in the tranny as to move freelly to shift. if you come up to a hill and start to decline and stop. the tranny tends to let the truck move a bit, not much but will move on ya. but other than that you can put alot of power to these tranny, look what they put them in. and have had three trannys with no problams

3. haven't used rc4wd disruptor/and transfer at all. but have got alot of other things from them. to me they build around more of a scale crawler base than all out proformence, so not real sure that going that way would be a smart idea for the ttc truck.

4.and yes smart ass comments are always welcomed

why don't you buy it all and build three different trucks based on your different ops. LOL

5. been thinking this for some time know
what if you took a center diff out of 1/8th buggy, locked it and put like a 87 spur gear on it. then get a monter of a motor like the 2250kv from castle, or tekin, and run 6s on it. the 2250kv motor would have alot of bottom end power, and enof volts to jump just about any rock you want, just thinking some other option for ya. but then again what kind of axles would hold up to that kind of abuse

6. And have fun with your build .what ever your going to use seems that your doing your home work to find the best option for ya. trying to find some thing that fits your driving style as well is the hardest to get shorted out.

Last edited by spyderwebbcustoms; 11-26-2010 at 01:33 PM.
spyderwebbcustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 02:02 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

ya im also tryin to make my mind up before the "fab man" starts building this chassis for me,i'm pretty sure he's not gonna want to redo this thing,right?
Old 11-26-2010, 04:24 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

If you get a summit and a puller I would suggest that you get the super 300 shafts for the front I have destroyed every extra shaft I have and am now waiting on the super 300s to arrive
dominator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 07:06 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for the advice how's that emaxx trans workin for phil
Old 11-27-2010, 07:02 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I'm running the same set-up, summit trans, 2.2 tsl's, axial axles, hilux hard body w/ tubed rear, and am loving it, most fun I've ever had driving a crawler.

If you show next Saturday, you are more than welcome to drive it.
travis c. is offline   Reply With Quote