Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 2.2 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Hilux WRECKER trail truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2011, 06:51 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Hilux WRECKER trail truck

started on my 1st scaler build today, Ive built a few jeep chassis in the past but always traded them off before I put them together, so this time Im gonna keep it. started out this morning with a piece of 1/2" square tubing and split it.

I cut it with the bandsaw, it actually cut a lot faster and easier than I thought it would.

than started the dovetail cuts to give it that scale frame look.

then started on the front spring hanger/bumper, Im tig welding the whole thing for practice for my 1.1 buggy. It welded up nicely, Ill get more close ups later.

and got the front spring hangers welded up as well. I traded for a hilux body today so should see that later this week sometime, I have a pede trans and a wierd buggy trans that Im thinking about using, just not sure yet, Im going to use a set of WK axles that I traded for a while back on here, there locked already, lockouts on the rear already and cvd's up front with aluminum C's and knuckles. Im going to run a leaf spring set up all the way around, but the rear will be quarter elipticle with lower links.

Im thinking about building a steal railed flatbed with a headache rack and having a removable wrecker unit that will have body clips that will hold it on and a plug for the winch. more to come!
crashmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2011, 03:02 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Looks like a good start keep it up.
1mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 06:37 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Default update

well Ive been out of town for a while and hadn't made much progress on this thing for a bit, so I hit it hard the last couple days to try and at least get it driving for this weekends club meeting. 2 and a half days later and a lot of burned fingers she's a roller! still need to get both winches for it and build the wrecker unit, but Ill ba able to drive her tomorrow!

sorry bout the crappy phone pics, its all I have at this time.

most of the suspention is just mocked up here with zip tie's.

how she looked a couple hours ago.

flex shot in the kitchen

one of her belly

im going to enclose the space between the bed and the frame and build a reciever hitch. the rear suspention is 1/4 leafs with a 3 link for the moment, its not near stiff enough though, the weight of the bed is pretty much maxxing them out so tonight Im going to swap it to big bores.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:47 PM   #4

im a sucker for towtrucks keep up the good work
kevkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:20 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Default tires

Well I swapped out the cut mud slingers I had on her for a set of moabs I just traded for. the mid slingers are really still and are very hoppy, and they made it very bouncy. I only got to drive it a little bit around the house today and they seemed to work fine. next time the club meets though a buddy of mine is going to let me try out his 2.2 rok lox so we'll see how those work
Old 04-14-2011, 10:33 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

thanks! I swapped a set of moabs on it the other day and that made a world of difference! I think im going to redue the front leaf springs with a set of rc4wd leafs my buddy primus has, that should get the front end up a little bit. she rides pretty low right now.