Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 2.2 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Big Oly's Rebuild - Phase 1, some new axles..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2011, 12:00 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Big Oly's Rebuild - Phase 1, some new axles..

Wanted to say thank you neillarson for selling me Big Oly, and to Tommy R for building a great truck to start with. I just hope I can do this truck justice.
Here are a few pics from tonight.
Oly as a roller has been sitting her for about a week, and my Wraith kit has been here for longer than that.
So, tonight I couldn't wait any longer. As any rebuild should, we started with a new set of axles..
I am going to be adding some VP bling in the future, and am planning on some other changes to lower the truck and smooth out some of the drive shaft issues the offset pumpkins are causing.
AND YES WRAITH OWNERS, I know the plastic steering linkage won't last more than 15 seconds.. It is just to set the wheelbase and chassis at square... Have faith and be patient....
My plans are not to make any REAL big changes, just small stuff to get her ready for some scaler fun and hopefully a TTC comp in the future.

One suggestion I need from all you guys out there, what motor and speed control do you suggest?
Was thinking about a Mamba Max Pro and a Tekin Pro4 sensored motor. LOTS of torque and will definately motovate this monster.
Seeing as how these are not waterproof items, and she will get wet in the future, guaranteed, I would like some suggestions..
Plan is to mod a S9157 for the front steer, to make it waterproof.

I woul also like to know if anyone can tell me who made the decals for this body? Some are missing and I would like to get a spare made..

Thank you guys.. Enjoy..

They play nice together.

The shocks are a little long for these mounts, so I think I will be looking in to something a little shorter. These are XR10 shocks, so I may go with RC4WD shocks for a more scale appearance.. Any other ideas?

Wheelbase is right at 12.5"... Hmmm Add dig and put her in a 2.2 comp? Might get hurt on rollover...

You can see, she is a little tall in the rear end...

Drive shaft is VERY tight to the lower link. Going to have to improvise, either flip the trans or rotate the axles. Lots of work either way.. I built the axles to the Wraith directions. Knew I should have threw that book away as soon as I opened the box.

This axle has a lot more steering than the old axles. Hmmm maybe I won't need dig, but 4WS may be fun. Hmmmmmm

3 Link in the front, and 4 in the back, right now.

Keep your eyes open for more in the near future.
bigstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2011, 12:13 AM   #2
Gettin’ back on the horse

May I suggest dropping the rig lower and throwing some proper scale tires on there?
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:33 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURTLE View Post
May I suggest dropping the rig lower and throwing some proper scale tires on there?
X2 good idea
demonoid369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:33 AM   #4
RCC Addict

And just so you scale guys know and don't flame me....
This is going to be a TTC style rig, not a class 1... I read the rules and realize I am probly outside them. That is why I have the narrower SCX axles..
Not looking for the scale version of this...

Or this.

I am going for this.

Or THIS...

I can keep going...

UH OH PIT BULLS on a real truck....

And Yes, 54" Iroks do fit on a S-10 Blazer..

Last edited by bigstu; 10-19-2011 at 12:36 AM.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:45 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURTLE View Post
Plan is to get some different shocks, definately needs to be lower..
Thought I put that in there.. Hmmmmmm..

And I have to ask, what is a proper scale tire?
I have a Jeep TJ and wheel quite a lot during the summer. I have seen LOTS of guys wheel with PitBull tires and I have to say, these look pretty darn close to what I see on the trail..
I see guys running pitbulls, the proline TSL's, the Axial Ripsaws, and all the RC4WD tires at the TTC comps... Am I missing something?
Old 10-19-2011, 12:47 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Hey man, I am trying to switch the FJ to an axial trans and I am having some issues with drive shafts too. Let me know what you come up with.
klabeaume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:52 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by klabeaume View Post
Hey man, I am trying to switch the FJ to an axial trans and I am having some issues with drive shafts too. Let me know what you come up with.
Will do..
I have my eye on a bar of Titanium hex stock at McMaster-Carr...
Just need to find someone that can machine the yokes in for the u-joints..
Old 10-19-2011, 12:55 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstu View Post
Will do..
I have my eye on a bar of Titanium hex stock at McMaster-Carr...
Just need to find someone that can machine the yokes in for the u-joints..
Thanks! Those axles look great under there too. I think once you get the stance right those tires will look better.
klabeaume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:11 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Always wanted that truck! It looks great! Let me know if you ever want to get rid of it.
country_crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:27 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstu View Post
And I have to ask, what is a proper scale tire?
The Pitbulls in the 2.2 are too wide. The open lug pattern has been a bit of a source of controversy as well. They're definitely allowed in scale comps though, so if you like them keep them on there.
ecoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:52 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Absolutely country crawler.. I am going to stick with the paint scheme and basic colors. I am all about the retro look.. I have been looking for something big enough to handle the Wraith axles and I think this is it.
I thought about putting BBWBronc on the license plate. She is a big girl and she is HEAVY.. When she is all done I won't be suprised if she is close to 10 lbs.

ecoli, thank you for the info on the Pitbulls. I understand where they are coming from. I have a set of Axial ripsaws from the Wraith kit that will be a second set of tires for this rig.
To add a little more to the scale flavor, I have a set of wheels drawn up that look like the old school mag wheels PJ originally had on Oly.
Seen in this pic..

Either have to get a CNC, which I have been jonesing to do, or get someone with a CNC to cut them out. $$$$$$$$$$

Thanks again guys.
Still need some suggestions for what shocks to use and what motor/sc combo to run..
Old 10-19-2011, 01:22 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Glad you are enjoying it. I just had too many projects.

I would consider the Pro-Line Power Strokes in 3.5", great shocks.. Also flip you shock mounts to get about another 1/4" out of them. 4WS is killer in TTC. Loved it.

As far as the stickers/decals, good luck. I was told they are no longer made. There is a guy on here that will make custom ones, or so I am told but I can't even get a return PM from him.
neillarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:49 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Default cool

I like it looks good but i would lower it and strech yhr wheel base out to maby 13 .5 in for ttc i streched the wheel base out from 12.5 to 13.5 on my wreckluse and it made a bid diff in the performance .I have the pit bulls to and i like them .
wurster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:49 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Big Oly's Rebuild - Phase 1, some new axles..

How did I miss this thread? I love the look of the Wraith axles under there! I always thought the regular Axial axles were simply too narrow. You asked about shocks and I would go with something that offers a lot of oil capacity. When I was running the aluminum Axial axles, I was even running 100 WT oil in the front to help control all that weight. It was over 11.5 lbs. in running trim when I ran it!

I'd lower the ride height so you have about 1/2" of bump travel or so to get the cg really low. The Pit Bulls look okay on there, but I'm not particularly a fan of their 2.2's. The 1.9's however, look fantastic! Too bad they would be swallowed up by this rig!

It took some really nasty spills while in my possession, but the only real issue was when it (unbeknownst to me) broke a tube on a ~20 fall at MSD Nats last year. Other than that, it's been pretty solid in my experience so drive it hard! BTW, I laughed when I saw it still has my old license plate on there!

BTW, these would look fantastic on there!
Gear Head RC 2.2 BL Aluminum Slot Mags (4)

Best of luck with it and I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!
Tommy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 12:21 PM   #15
RCC Addict

ive seen Neil run that truck and im sure your gonna enjoy it as much as he did. if i would of had the cash i would of got it from him. personally i like the pits on there , i run em on my truck and have no complaints.
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 03:04 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Thank you guys.
Progress has been a little slow, but going well..
There is a pile of stainless tubing and 10-32 stainless all thread sitting on the bench, next to the truck right now.
Going to re-do the front links and make some custom bends. The front will be a 3-link with panard bar, and the rear will be 4-link.
Pro-line shocks are ready to go in, but with the weight, they may not be what I need.. Am thinking about some 1/8 scale shocks, or some from a short course truck, like the SC10 4x4 or the Losi SCTE.
They have 13mm diameter springs and will work great with the heavy truck..
The only other big issue is what motor to use.. I have a brushless castle 4-pole that is sitting on the shelf, but am still thinking a brushed is going to be the way to go.
I am thinking two 2S Lipo packs, wired to be 4S, might be fun..
Am waiting for a quote on custom drive shafts right now. Believe it or not, there are industrial companies that make custom shafts. They aren't cheap, but they are going to be STRONG..
New rims with the ripsaws will be on soon, and more to come..

As soon as all the fab is done, she will be stripped down and re-painted. But the body will stay. I love that body..
Old 12-21-2011, 03:11 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Always liked this rig and the Wraith axles just make it all the better.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 04:11 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post
Always liked this rig and the Wraith axles just make it all the better.
I agree And this has been a fav. for a long time
JUGGARNAUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:28 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Plan for more thigs to happen to this rig VERY soon.

Sold the short course money pits, so I have money burning a hole in my pocket again..

I finally had some time to sit down and do some suspension work.
Proline Shocks - Check.
Stainless links - Check.
3-link in the front set up right - Check.
Mayhem Wheels and Ripsaws - Check.

NEXT: HD driveshafts. I really don't like the size of punishers, so I am looking other places. I have an idea and it may come from the industrial market... Shhhh.. Might have more info soon. Pulled the 4pl out of the short course trucks, so the small receiver is IDEAL. S9157 to do some steering and a BRXL to put the power down. Thinking 3s and a 35t motor, or maybe more. I want this thing to motovate..

She is still sitting alittle taller than I woud like, but I am thinking with two batteries and radio gear, and motor, and other goodies, I will be just about right.. 3/8" of up travel and the rest down travel should be perfect..

Anyway, enough gab, on to the pics..

Old 01-06-2012, 01:35 AM   #20
RCC Addict

You are doing this rig justice It was one of the most fun to watch at the msd scale nats. I am definitely watching this!
ScaleFreak93 is offline   Reply With Quote