Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 2.2 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: RC4WD Timberwolf build turns into Hilux Truggy!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2012, 11:57 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default RC4WD Timberwolf build turns into Hilux Truggy!!!!

Hi Y'all just received a new RC4WD Timberwolf black welded kit.

It came kinda pre-built but everything is mostly loose which is a bit odd imho.
Guessing its to encourage thread lock or..............?

The wheels and tires did need building up, and wheel spacers where provided too.

Question. These wheels came supplied with 5 washers and 8 shims. Are the shims just to fit between the rim and hex (when not using spacer) to pack out the wheel if required

OR

Are they an essential to be used with the hex/hub extenders for another type of clearance.

Anyway kit wise heres what I've got for it.

Tamiya 35T CR tuned motor
Novak M2 Dig esc (already had so may as well use)
Spektrum RX
Savox sc-0252 servo
G-made shocks

Am thinking of trying to match this to my other jeep poison spyder replica.

Anyway heres a couple of pics

and lastly the sort of look/paintjob its gonna have

Any advice on this kit would be great fully received!!!

Last edited by northernerbill; 01-28-2012 at 06:45 PM.
northernerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2012, 08:02 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: RC4WD Timberwolf build C.I.L.F.

Clean looking start! Are you going with Lexan, ABS or Styrene for the body?

Not sure on the shims?? I have had to use a single shim on RC4WD wheels time to time in front of the hex to pull the hub face away from the knuckle and prevent dragging. Never more than one. You could start to cause some wobble or strip the hex.
On a current build, I am using a brass shim behind the stub axle drive pin to prevent the stub from sliding too far into the knuckle during wheel side load.
MIPs stick through the wheels further, so I use a spacer or washer on the front side of the wheel, under the bolt with them.
sweli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:47 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Default Re: RC4WD Timberwolf build S.I.L.F.

Hi mate, it's gonna be lexan, door less. It comes with side and rear panels but the rear arch I'm gonna cut very high.
The bonnet will be a hpi jeep, that's the shell rc4wd built the tube frame to fit.

Am gonna have the sat quite squat as think they look odd sat high.

Going to really enjoy this build!
Old 01-07-2012, 12:48 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Ps I think you guys call the bonnet the hood?
Old 01-09-2012, 01:59 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Bit of a photo update to do with body work. i think I mentioned this is going to be doorless so its just 2 section front and rear of body.
The front is the remains of a hpi jeep, and the rear an off cut for now (part of the packaging. Have made the rear as minimal as possible and tried to duplicate a fender less rear arch.

The shot with me holding it down is the ride height i want to achieve. So far its got motor and batteries in there for ballast it may drop a bit more once the spare tyre and other stuff go in.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:00 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Looks good!
Can those Gmades be set up in 50/50 droop?
Did you figure out the washers?
sweli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 04:43 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Cheers mate. No the g-mades are kinda 70/30 in either direction.

I fitted the axial scx10 1.9-2.2 adapters which has dropped the rig about 20mm then I think once its fully loaded with an interior, electrics etc it'll sit near enough were i want it anyway

Now its been dropped the rear upper links hit the chassis when evenly pushed down so had to move them inboard. Now when fully pushed down evenly they just touch a cross member about 2mm before they would have bottomed out.

Articulation its not an issue plenty of clearance so will happily live with that, might put a bit of fuel hose on the link or cross member to protect the paint.

Washers I think so. The thick normal washers are for the outside of the wheel when not using the extenders. The shims are for the front extenders as they come very close to axle housing when all tightened up so its just to pull them away again.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:13 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Ok got the spray paint out (not the flaky kind) and created the unlimiteds big little brother.

Not too bothered about the back section yet needs a bit more design before I commit to stickers etc
Old 01-10-2012, 02:26 PM   #9
RCC Addict

looks great man, but i think it needs some tube work in the door area-just to give it more of a custom look without door skins
FATBOYrs10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 01:21 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Right last night I started on the styrene interior, like I said its not unless a miracle happens or I stumble upon some detail parts going to be a very good attempt. I really don't enjoy doing this sort of thing, its like woodwork and I'm crap at it, plus styrene gives me the itches.

I might do a very boxy centre console and dash but don't bank on it.

Oh and just fitted the aluminum steering knuckles. Sold the traxxas esc and got a second rooster coming ah bliss.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:58 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Phew thank god thats over, I really don't like doing the styrene thing. Its in and it'll do, if i come across an appropriate steering wheel I'll do some more to it but not much more.

Seats for held by velcro as its got to be serviceable , and that way I can get the floor pan out.

Old 01-19-2012, 06:23 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Well got some more done, the light is visible

Fitted RC4WD Mud Slingers

Redesigned the rear suspension mounts and fitted strut brace

Lowered the car as much as possible with the shocks set to droop but don't like the cushion less ride so they are getting turned back

I've got the ally upgrade axles coming so that'll be a nice post very soon
Old 01-19-2012, 10:05 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for doing this ...always wondered about this rig...how's the quality
Postclanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:21 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

looks great so far man I'm curious about the construction of it also, I love the look of the tube buggy!
The-Blacksheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 05:08 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Hi thanks guys. Well my background in scalers etc is the scx10 etc and this is a different beast. Am still to hit the trails as still awaiting a couple of bits to arrive.
Apart from the axle housings and knuckles stock this all metal so solid and heavy. All the ones I've seen sit (for me) at really high ride height which just wasn't an option.
To lower it however has taken some doing. To best explain imagine your goal is to lower the car BUT keep the center skid perfectly horizontal. With the rear at its lowest setting (still way to high) the front is actually at its highest setting.
So this makes for a tricky set up.
In the end I've had to use 1.9-2.2 scx10 height adjusters and then put a strut brace in to strengthen. Not the end of the world and finished looks pretty neat but would be better not having to do it.
I'm mostly going to rock crawling with this so the stock tires had to go and instead fitted mud slingers for the open tread.
One point I haven't ironed out is battery placement. Theres an obvious tray over the front wheels but the shell is designed to be held with cable ties and don't really want to chop out 6 cable ties every battery change, so thats ongoing.
I've got ally axles coming and already fitted ally knuckles as it deserves these imho.
The construction is solid, mine came strangely pre-built but not tightened up or prepped so actually had to strip it all down for greasing and lock-titing which probably ended up taking longer than building from scratch.
You feel like you have a proper piece of kit with this, heavy, metal, solid, BUT thew links for example are all metal which means cups and balls are too which means they have slight play which means they jingle ana jangle which for me is the only real downside of the actual pieces that make this kit.

Anyway a few pics of developments.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:30 AM   #16

Been Looking @ this chassis alot, Thanks for posting pictures up. I have seen 1 in person and it looks good
Wheel_Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 06:02 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Somebody stop me (or encourage me).

I ordered a Toyota Hilux cab with every intention of either putting it on my existing SCX10 or a fresh SCX10 with Scooby doing me a truggy rear end.

Right well since I ordered that shell, which arrived yesterday I have been thinking this timber wolf chassis is mighty fine, I wonder if it would work.

Sooooo this evening I took the timber wolf roll cage off, just a few screws and its out and was left with this.

Offered up the cab and it looks like this

Obviously the steering is at the wrong end etc now but as an executable project what do you think?
Old 01-29-2012, 06:58 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Default Re: RC4WD Timberwolf build turns into Hilux Truggy!!!!

Managed to swap round the axles tonight front to back as it was on the timber wolf.
Gave it a quick test run and all seems happy.

A quick play around with ride height tomorrow then its being shipped off to Scoobbysport for the tuber rear end to be made etc.

Old 02-03-2012, 06:30 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Been working on cab position and a temporary mount so Scoobbysport can work his magic.
The shell is a bit warped so hopefully the lower mounting system on the tube frame will pull it out naturally plus the styrene rear the cab will get.
have set the cab slightly back off centre on the wheel arch just a tad in case I decide to open the front of the wheel arch slightly.
Ran this inn the carpet earlier and it nearly rolled it up lol.

Time to say goodbye to it for a little while while I send it off for the tube work
Old 04-12-2012, 06:29 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Well a bit of time now, got the basic rig just about finished just need to finish the electrics (install the RX) and add some scale bits to the rear bed, oh and a winch and its all done

RC4WD Timberwolf build turns into Hilux Truggy!!!! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RC4WD Welded timberwolf willieone4x4 Scale Videos! 11 02-27-2010 08:23 PM
RC4WD Timberwolf Buildup (Welded Timberwolf added on pg 4) Racer4Life 2.2 Scale Rigs 98 12-09-2009 11:21 PM
RC4WD Timberwolf chassis Racer4Life Videos! 10 07-17-2008 03:09 AM