Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 2.2 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Redneck Chevy buildup (or my attempt)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2006, 05:07 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Redneck Chevy buildup (or my attempt)

Hey guys,

Well, after running nylints for a long time, i decided to try a TLT; i HAD a build page over on Scale4x4, but those guys never really replied to anything i asked after awhile (guess they wanted pics more than i could provide ).

Anyway, specs are this:

PPE chassis kit (great quality)
TLT axles (Locked with JB weld)
Pede tranny with sliders (locked the same as the axles)
RPM Clawz wheels, narrowed about 2 inches (They were rears)
IMEX Swamp Dawgs (star cut foams)
Stinger 20 turn motor (trying something new)
Super Chicken
TQ3 radio (modded for winch)
Maxx shocks

Go easy on it when you see the pics guys; i'm a noob at this

Here we go:

The black mudder

Front shot (don't mind the mud in the grill )

Not much flex, but it's enough (probably the shock mounting; they're angled out more than in. Don't know how to fix it though, cause the shocks rub if i put the mounts on the inside of the chassis)

Body off

First trouble spot, the front shocks. I used the stock TLT mounts for the cantilever arms i think. The shocks can't travel enough without binding; i moved the shocks outside the chassis rails to try and get more clearance, but that didn't work. They're stiff as a board now (those are Maxx shocks, with Traxxas oil and 2 hole pistons in them). Any thoughts? I don't have a lathe or a mill; all i have access to are basic hand tools (not even a drill press) so my fabrication is limited.

The other trouble spot; i can't get my rear wheels to stay straight. As it is right now the truck crabs sideways almost. I've tried every mounting point i can think of (right now it's screwed into the rear link mount), but still nothing. I can adjust the length a bit, but is there a surefire way to get the wheels straight everytime? like some sort of measuring technique?

Excuse my noobishness once again; like i said, i'm new to this.

Last edited by mulletman427; 07-02-2006 at 05:39 AM.
mulletman427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2006, 07:08 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

my only tip is to hold the camera still when you take the pictures, they gave me motion sickness....

and for some of you questions, look at other builds aeound here, that will be the most helpfull thing that you can do.
cvecmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 07:36 AM   #3
RCC Addict

try some softer springs, if those are the big bore maxx shocks losi springs fit, if those are the stock plastic ones I'm not sure if the losi's will fit. oh ya what he said, get a tripod and take some better pics or stay away from the caffine, my eyes hurt
halfcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 09:06 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

No caffeine in my system; just can't hold my hands steady.

It was early in the morning when i took those pics; gimme a break .
Old 07-03-2006, 01:36 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

i would lower it down a little to get a better COG and get a set of losi white S.T. springs! that should make a huge difference
bigflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 01:59 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

beer gogles
blazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 06:38 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazed
beer gogles
Well, i did just turn 21 . Come to think of it, i did kill a six pack the day before; maybe that's what did it

[quote=bigflex]i would lower it down a little to get a better COG and get a set of losi white S.T. springs! that should make a huge difference [\quote]

I suppose it can come down some more; just worried about that big heavy battery (it's up front; i forgot to mention i went overboard and built an 8 cell pack out of sub-C cells ). Hey, i wanted long run times, and the super chicken can take it ; anyway, it's super heavy, so i might end up building a smaller 6 cell pack and trying another mounting position. But it's sure got some kick as it stands; before the re-gear, i could pull the front wheels up anytime i jammed the throttle. I may leave it as, but lower it like you suggested. Does tower have those losi springs in stock? or does somebody have some laying around?

And does anyone feel like something is missing from the truck? I can't put my finger on it, but it feels like something's not there...it's not an exo cage, since a redneck wouldn't put one on his truck . Any thoughts?

I'll keep updates coming as i get to them; bouncing a bunch of things around right now, and goofing with this truck whenever i get the chance to.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:59 PM   #8
RCC Addict

I Live in Maine so i'm a def. redneck, personally..i think what u feel is missing is maybe a sun visor on top of the windshield, and lights on the rollbars, my cousin's got a dodge and he had lights on his bars and took them off and the truck looked bare like that
trickedoutTLT06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 09:19 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

fab some step rails out of brake tubing or something and maybe fab some bumpers, in louisiana we always lift trucks, your not missing much!
swamp_rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 02:49 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Lights eh?

Guess i could try and find a parts tree on ebay; when i bought this body it didn't have them with it.

Step rails and a front bumper are on the way; only thing is i can't braze (not gonna set my parents house on fire ). So i'll try and locate someone who can make them for me. The step rails i think i could handle (just brake tubing) but the front bumper has to be a pretty beefy piece; most of the trucks i see like this have big homemade bumpers on the front of 'em .

Mind you, there is no offense meant to anyone who has a rig like this; i'm basically a redneck too (live in the boondocks around Pittsburgh, don't like the city period, know what i mean.)

Right now though, i've got a spare F350 body on the truck; i can't bear to cut up that clod body for some reason (can you blame me:-P ?) I also painted up a Ram Quad Cab body, but it's too new to be a redneck rig...
methinks i have a slight case of identity crisis with this rig .

Anyway, anyone here willing to do some tube work for me? I can send you the chassis and clod body for fabrication (shameless beg )

I'll keep things coming as i can.