Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 2.2 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Project BLUE BY U

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2006, 10:21 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Project BLUE BY U

Well here is my latest prject it has a little more done than in the pics i just received some more parts from tower, my driveshafts and pinion, so now its ready to get finished might be a few days though cause right now i have strep throat but now is the time to post it up, lmk what you think of it! And yes i no it aint much but its a start!

45t integy 16t pinion
stampede trannie
tlt axles
2.2 moabs Possibly redrocks
stampede wheels with washer beadlocks (not finished)
old clodbuster body (dovetailed front) might cut doors, and have hood scoop
chassis (1/2" square tube)
TLT shocks, shaved and added half a spring
tekin titan golden ESC
Tq3 with periometer
4 wheel steer ^ obviously
4 link plates made with some old plastic

I now im missing somethin or other but if i remember ill post it
Anyways here are some pics since the pics the body has been primed, soon to have a nice blue coat on it!

The reason why i named this blue by u is because my dad used to have a boat named that and he loved that boat but he had to sell it ounce he was paralized, so i figured i would name it that!
I should have some more pictures tomorrow or the next day, dads out of town on a sales meeting!
I now its probaly not the scalest truck on here but by the time im done i hope to have it lookin as close to scale as other have got but, go ahead and flame me if you think it isnt.

Last edited by scalecrawler; 08-08-2006 at 10:28 AM.
scalecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2006, 10:55 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

You gotta love a truggy! Make the pics biggger.
revoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 11:09 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by revoster
Try clicking on them. It's like Magic.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 01:12 PM   #4
Nope..

What are you going to do about the box frame in the back? Usually the tube is the rear frame.
Brainstain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 01:32 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Im just going to leave the frame in the back, just incase later on i decide to put a different body on it, the cage will be able to bolt on. I might cut the frame off a little more not sure though, i also have another aluminum frame that i cut out of 1/4" aluminum on the band saw, but im not sure ill probaly end up selling that one maybe not though? here is a pic of both the chassis, im still working on the rear hoops on both of them but mainly on the steel one, cause i built the rear part of the cage so that it lays atop the frame its all still a work in progress! The frame is all ready except for the rear shock hoops, im going to get frame a roller and running, then go back to doing cage work

This picture is from before i have did a little more work since then/ and since it has been sitting a while it has got some rust on it so i will probaly take it into get bead blasted

This one isnt perfec, somehow when i marked it up the lines wernt straight but you can tell from the pic

Last edited by scalecrawler; 08-08-2006 at 01:34 PM.
Old 08-08-2006, 05:48 PM   #6
Built, not bought

Quote:
Originally Posted by revoster
Try clicking on the pic.They do get bigger.

Looking good so far.
62PYRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 05:59 PM   #7
Moderator Rule Breaker

Looks sweet, mind doing a write up on dovetailing the front ? I guess what I never understand on dovetailing was where do you make your first cuts and then from there ? what did you use to put everything that you cut back together ? bondo ?
eric113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 06:48 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Well here is a short right up on how i did the dovetail!

First i cut the hood out will a band saw, then i removed the front grill. Next i went to get the heat gun and heated up were i wanted to bend, and bent it until i was happy with it, keep in mind that when your done you will most likely have to do some body work. Then put the body upside down and traced with a pencil, the lines on the hood on how far i narrowed it and took it back to the band saw, had to go back to the sander to make it a fit a little nicer. Then i made a little jig type thing so that i caould lay the hood in place and let the epoxy dry, (I used epoxy but any good platic glue would work) after that i measured the front opening and the grill i took the grill and narrowed it up to the size of the front, used some epoxy. Then i got out some model bondo and patched it up and a little sanding and walla your got a dovetailed body.

Well i hope this helps, not the most detailed but it should help anyone wanting to dovetail!
Old 08-10-2006, 08:27 PM   #9
Moderator Rule Breaker

Anything new with this project ?
Old 08-11-2006, 09:57 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

so far no, i have been so busy latly i will hoefully get the tranny mount dont tonight, and i can get some more up to date pics!
Old 08-11-2006, 02:29 PM   #11
Moderator Rule Breaker

if ya could get a pic or two of the cab looking forward ?
Old 08-11-2006, 04:25 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Maybe tomorrow after i am done workin on my sisters brakes i will get some more tube work done and welded up! I might even have it a complete roller! except for the electronics in if i have the time is the only thing!

Here is the pic you asked for eric

and some of the cage work, it will look 10 times better when im done

heres some with it sitting about were it will when im finished, the should look somethin like it, but the body will be lower, and there will be a little more lift

lmk what you think of my TINY bit of progress, im goign to go into paint and show yall what i plan on doing with the rest of the cage
EDIT:
Here is a pic all of the black lines are were i plan on some cage might not look just like it but close

Last edited by scalecrawler; 08-11-2006 at 04:34 PM.
Old 08-18-2006, 05:58 PM   #13
Moderator Rule Breaker

where the yellow cricle is, you cut off the fender ?
where the black circle is where you use the heat gun and bent it ?

Old 08-18-2006, 08:16 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

i didnt cut it off, that is from stock, not sure what it is there for! but yeah that is were i did heat it up and bend it, you could cut it and make it look a little better probaly!
And just so you no i have got NO WERE with this i went on a little trip for 3 days, and i planned to work on it last weekend and well, as usual some stuff came up!!!! And we got a family reunion so i should have some progress here soon, i did get the front hoop made and i bent the front part of the exo a little wrong so it will be a hair different, from my paintshop pic!

Man after doing my clodbuster tuber i am definatly going to solid rod next time!!!! Way easier to get that perfect bend, and not screw everything up!
Old 08-18-2006, 09:35 PM   #15
RCC Addict

that line is there to make it appear to be a fiberglass hood and fender combo....its gay
Got Rocks? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 10:11 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Wow that looks awsome! Cant wait to see updates!
trost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 11:06 PM   #17
I lost my vendor privileges

nice job glad to see you used a clod body not enough ran now a days.i narrowed mine by 2 3/4" in the center need to finish the body work.
clodstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 08:08 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Well here is a little i got done in the past two days, i started on the beadlocks i got one rim done just so i would now what they would look like! And i did more of the cage as i said a couple psts ago i did mess up a little on one peace so the design changed a little, im still not pleased with the front stinger it looks like it sits out there too far since i did mess up on the bend it looks a little different but i like it would have rather had something like the normal but hey thats what you get with hand bending!

Here is the beadlock it looks great IMO after i get them all mounted ill probaly run them like this for a while. Then later paint them blue.

Well i have more to do, i have the front grill hoop made ready to weld on and i am going to do a couple braces(more for look) but it is mainly done, and i am going to cut a little more frame off the back
Tell me what you think of it!

Last edited by scalecrawler; 08-25-2006 at 08:10 AM.