Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 2.2 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: To 'Yota or not to 'Yota

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2006, 07:13 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default To 'Yota or not to 'Yota

Thought I'd let you guys in on my back burner build. I'm thinking after having the body sitting around for almost three years that I don't really like it anymore. So, I need a new candidate for my hauler. I'm thinking Ram Mega Cab on the hilux would look pretty sweet hauling a tandem trailer and my crawler. Only thing about the Ram is the front axle,while still solid on the 2500-3500's it is coil sprung. So that means I'd have to fab up some links and mount a coil on each side. No big deal, just more work and money.
[/IMG]
All Out Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2006, 07:19 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

a mega ab body would be really awesome for a hauler.
Bam Bam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 07:31 PM   #3
RCC Addict

but you would have to make a longer frame
Got Rocks? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 07:45 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I can push the front axle out almost two inches when I build the front link setup. I'm not 100% sure but I think this would more than cover the difference between the 'Cruiser and Mega Cab. I'm even thinking about running dual rear wheels and adding fender extensions to the bed to create a dually 3500 Mega Cab. I figure I can narrow a set of Geo's to fit narrowed HPI 5 stars. Or.... I could use the narrow buggy fronts... The only snag will be keeping the two wheels per side true and together. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 08-20-2006, 08:31 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Well, according to the media there is no such thing as a dually Mega Cab, only short bed SRW. So that idea is blown to smitherines. May have to do a Ford (I just threw up in my mouth) F-650 with the same dual wheel setup.
Old 08-20-2006, 09:34 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

then how did truckin" magazine do a ford chevy and dodge comp. and have a dually mega cab?
XSRCdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 09:59 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Here's what I found, maybe it's out of date...

Now, on to the 2006 Mega Cab introduction. Chrysler Group, George Murphy, representatives uncovered the new truck and drove it onto the stage. It struck me immediately as having a much larger cab than I had been expecting. Some of the rumors prior to this intro were that the bed would be shorter than a normal short bed. The good news is that it is the same short bed as on the current trucks at 75.9 inches long. The bad news for many TDR readers is that there will be no long bed offered with the Mega Cab. It is built on the same chassis as the current long bed Quad Cab and it shares the same wheelbase.

The 2500 has a GVWR of 8,800 pounds with the 5.7 V8 Hemi and 9,000 pounds with the Cummins Turbo Diesel. GCVWR for the 2500 is between 15,000 pounds with the 5.7L V8 with the six speed up to 20,0000 pounds on all of the diesel equipped trucks. Base curb weight of the 2wd 2500 with the Cummins, a six speed transmission, and the SLT interior is 6,939 pounds leaving a payload of 2,061 pounds. The automatic weighs either 25 pounds or 30 pounds more depending on where you look in the press kit. On the high end a 4wd 2500 with the Cummins, an automatic, and the Laramie interior is 7,565 pounds leaving a payload of only 1,435 pounds.

The Mega Cab is also being offered as an SRW model only (more bad news - no dually because of the six foot bed) in the 3500 with a GVWR of 9,900 pounds and the only available engine option is the Cummins Turbo Diesel. Base curb weight of the 2wd 3500 with an SLT interior and the six speed transmission is listed as 7,060 pounds (which looks like an error because the automatic is listed as the same) leaving a payload of 2,840 pounds. On the high end a 4wd 3500 with the Laramie interior and an automatic is listed as 7,617 pounds leaving a payload of 2,283 pounds.