Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 2.2 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Ton Up! C3 Wroncho build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2014, 06:48 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Ton Up! C3 Wroncho build

Well, after finally regaining my free time I learning of a multiple day crawl event in a couple weeks I've wound up starting a 2 week "crash" build to get something ready in time that's more appropriate for crawling than my twin hammers. So, I spent all weekend rebuilding the axles and trans getting ready for the rest of the parts to get here Wednesday.

VP Currie Axles, Wraith width
VP Wraith links
Axial Wraith skidplate
Axial SCX10 chassis with custom shock hoops, truggy cage and bumper
Proline Slash V1 shocks
Vaterra Twin Hammers trans, Hobbico CS-150 shift servo with Gearhead shift servo plate and custom trans to chassis adapter 19/78 gearing
MIP driveshafts
Hitec 7955 steering servo
CCBEC
Futaba 4PL
Proline F250 Super Duty cab
RC4wd 2.2 Predators
Pitbull RB2's
Tekin T45 HD brushed motor
Castle SV3
2100MAH 3s lipo

Now to the build. Sorry for the flash, I still haven't gotten around to putting up the lighting in that part of the shop yet.

TWH trans compared to the Wraith, note the much larger slipper. 19T 48p is about the smallest pinion that will fit with this funky motor mount (at least pinion changes are easy). I also have quite a few 51t 32p spurs since I used to race a xxx-nt and it uses the same gear, I don't currently have a pinion small enough and I'm not sure the 48p gears are going to be a problem. Overall footprint is about the same however the TWH trans is larger, it's not unmanageable though.

Rebuilt some curries I have that have been out of commission too long. I tried them in a bouncer style build and it destroyed pinion bearings and bushings, I hope this makes wraith size rigs much more fun to drive again with less maintenance time. Trans location is possibly not in its intended location, still debating this. The front shock mounts on the axle are for clearance with behind the axle steered CMS.

Last edited by DrewHammer; 07-08-2014 at 06:31 AM.
DrewHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2014, 05:51 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Ton Up! C3 Wroncho build

Well, USPS decided to deliver my parts late, thank god I didn't really "need" them until this weekend.

So, the build thread resumes,

Axial Exo interior, seems to fit pretty well although I won't really be sure until I can trim it some more to confirm
Proline F250 cab as previously mentioned, so much for boat sides, this body isn't tall enough to make it worth it.
Axial SCX10 full chassis from RPP's junkyard (crazy deals on here BTW, these parts are new)
And some other odds and ends that didn't make the pic.

Old 07-11-2014, 07:28 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Got some time this morning to play around with it some. I rebuilt my 7955 servo and I got the scx10 chassis stripped down to just the front crossmember and frame rails and massaged them to the wraith skid width. I'll weld some tabs tomorrow onto the rails that will bolt up to the skid and drop it approximately 1/2" to give me a fully extended chassis height of about 3.75" and fully compressed height of about 2.25". This truck won't be super flexy but should still perform well with pretty much all of the weight below the top of the tires. I also got the cab rough cut to fit a little closer to where I want it, parallax in these photos makes it look wider than the tires. Cab and tire relation will remain about the same with the chassis getting moved up a little and the back of the cab being modded to accomodate it. Hopefully everything clears adequately once the body is actually trimmed and I don't have to "comp cut" it.

The chassis rails will be chopped about where the rear upper link meets the skid and tube work will start from there. Just for fun I decided to try the Axial front towers before I build new ones and I wasn't totally displeased with the location. The chassis has about 1/8" clearance from the axle truss just as it hits the bump stops, which are rubber so they might flex a bit.

Does anyone have any color suggestions for this truck? The beadlocks are just plastidip and they will probably be returned to silver, or painted to match the body.

Sorry pic quality isn't the greatest.

Old 07-13-2014, 08:18 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Not a major update but got all of my cage supplies today and got the truggy back drawn up in solidworks. This at least gives me tube centerlines for bending and will keep it on target for looking like what's in my head. No rear shock mounts pictured but those are easy. The tubes will need some additional bracing inside the cab to keep me from bending it but also simple enough to not worry about drawing.

Also finalized my trans adapter plate, there's a 10* bend in the middle of it that I've been going back and forth on for a few days between welding or bending. I think I know someone with a press brake so I've decided on bending now.

Old 07-17-2014, 04:17 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Made some progress over the past few days. I wasn't really feeling the cage I cage I drew up and I just started bending stuff up that I thought looked good.

I ordered up a 7950 servo since it's starting to get a little on the heavy side as well and a clutch for my wraith trans, I don't think I'll have time to get the 2 speed adapter done before I need to drive it. CMS is going to have to wait as well until after this weekend. Parts are supposed to be here friday (fingers crossed).

Just need to finish out the sliders/boat sides, build shock mounts and add a couple more tubes. Interior and panels are going to have to wait until after the event.

Old 07-19-2014, 01:18 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Made some more progress, Just need to finish wiring/electronics install and put on stickers for the local event tomorrow. As I stated previously not a ton of flex (4.5" of articulation travel) but should be a good starting place for the trails, It's got a ton of room left on the shock mounts for more options.

After the meet this weekend I'll figure out if I need a bumper or not since it may just hinder performance rather than actually do anything. I'll also get to work on an interior and panels for the back.

I'll get pics tomorrow in the sun without a million fingerprints on it.

Old 07-19-2014, 05:21 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

looks awesome! i might have missed it, but what motor is planned?
Hammer! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 12:42 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer! View Post
looks awesome! i might have missed it, but what motor is planned?
Thanks, it's currently up and running on a Tekin HD 45 turn with 20/80 gearing (and a bunch of pinions in my pocket). I'm supposed to go on a night trail run here in a few hours when I'll determine if I go back to brushed on trail rigs. It's pretty peppy on 3s and I know it has tons of torque on demand.

Last edited by DrewHammer; 07-19-2014 at 12:44 PM.
Old 07-21-2014, 02:11 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

The truck performed very well this weekend with no major mechanical failures on the trail. I did bend and/or twist my right rear drive axle although I haven't figured out why yet. The trail run had lots of narrow passes that I know I scrubbed sidewalls on both sides through as well as plenty of holes to drop a wheel down into and put the truck in a serious bind. I may upgrade soon to a BRXL WP and step up to 4s. The truck had adequate torque but I need a little more wheelspeed for the loose stuff and while the motor didn't get hot, I know if I gear it any taller it will. I did some minor suspension tweaks that should help it out more with flex and lowered the truck about 1/2" since the run. Pics and video will be posted when the stuff is compiled over the next few days, for now, here's a couple pics.

Time to tear it back apart and get to work on more lights, an interior and some scale items.

Old 08-01-2014, 06:35 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

I decided to make some changes and test it before I tore it back down. 118mm prolines up front now and readjusted ride height, springs, shock oil. It's also now running a 2400kv sensored setup on the same 3s with 18/80 gearing. Speed seems spot on and it stays cool with torque to spare.

Started mocking up front stinger and exo interior, I'll tear it back down this weekend and braze it all up with some shackle mounts, a fairlead and servo winch mount. Then it's off for blasting, paint and a shelf body.

Ton Up! C3 Wroncho build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TJ Steve's Tamiya YJ to TJ 1 Ton SCX10 Build TJ Steve 1.9 Scale Rigs 54 12-25-2013 11:56 PM
The Half Ton Druggy ( jack!! ) tundra build jrocha 2.2 Scale Rigs 160 07-30-2013 11:38 AM
Jesters 1 ton YJ aka the holiday build JesterSpec 1.9 Scale Rigs 8 01-02-2013 07:20 AM