Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 2.2 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Scale rigs: the most expensive to build?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2006, 05:39 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Scale rigs: the most expensive to build?

I'm thinking about picking up another tlt to build as nothing but a scale rig. No matter what it does or how much it helps performance I want it scale. Coil springs, short four links front and rear, the whole nine yards.

However, it seems that the scale rigs cost alot more to build than any other four wheeling r/c. Most of this I think comes from the amount of time that gets invested in a scaler vs/ a comp or just tlt based r/c.

Meaning I'm going to have to spend alot of time build the links I want vs/ just buying them off the shelf.

Also if I build one I want it to look just like my '03 tj and have the same charteristics on the trails/ in the mud.
terrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-2006, 05:43 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

so????????????the question?

i'm not trying to be an a$$hole but.... i just don't understand what your getting at other than scale rigs cost alot of money....
_Jason_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 05:43 PM   #3
06 Super National Champ

Welcome to the world of crawlers.

The more you can build on your own the cheaper the rig will be to build.

And trust me, scalers aren't more expensive than comp rigs. My comp rig is WAY more expensive than my scalers...except for one.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 05:45 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
And trust me, scalers aren't more expensive than comp rigs. My comp rig is WAY more expensive than my scalers...except for one.
Really? how so? Not asking for a full break down just examples
Old 11-23-2006, 05:47 PM   #5
RCC Addict

$600 in my stick and $200 in my scaler it really all depends on what you use
Got Rocks? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 05:50 PM   #6
06 Super National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrible
Really? how so? Not asking for a full break down just examples
(I'm going with my Super rig)
Clod costs more than a TLT.
40 series tires and wheels are more expensive than 2.2 versions...and you still need adapters.
Two motors for a comp rig
Two servos at $100+ each
Old 11-23-2006, 06:35 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

My scale rig was only about 150 dollars, but then again, it is just an XC.
Crawlerguy851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 06:41 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

I agree with Jason, the more you can do yourself the cheaper it will be. Have you seen his FJ40? That is AWESOME. For one thing they look better and to me (JUST MY OPINION) I think they are MORE one off-CUSTOM. If you haven't seen it yet-check out the BRUISER scaler in the BUY/SELL section:

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50414

That is SWEET. Build a SCALE rig!! Hurry we need pics!!
Hansolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 06:51 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

OMG! 1300$$$ wtf are people thinking? I know its a nice truck and primer black rocks but dang, for that much I could buy real version of that truck, get it legal, take it to the trails, go home, get drunk and lie about how well it did!
Old 11-23-2006, 06:55 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
OMG! 1300$$$ wtf are people thinking? I know its a nice truck and primer black rocks but dang, for that much I could buy real version of that truck, get it legal, take it to the trails, go home, get drunk and lie about how well it did!
LMAO!! I thought that and about 999 other things I could do with $1300.00, but it does look nice.......
Hansolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 07:06 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Yeah, 1300 is kinda steep, but what a lot of people dont take into consideration is the amount of hands on time you have to put into building something like that. Time = Money. If you break it down you can build a tube chassis for less than 60 bucks if you already have the torch, but the time it takes to actually build it and make sure its square is priceless really.

The price of your rig depends a lot on how much you fab. If you build it all yourself you can get away a lot cheaper than buying all the parts from vendors and putting them together.

I wouldnt say they cost more, but they do take a lot of time to get together correctly.
xjman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 08:05 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

The real budget-killer is the experiments that go nowhere.

Hmmm, what if I cut down a set of tires to fit these narrowed wheels...$45 down the drain.
Hmmm, what if I tried out this cool-looking body I saw on eBay...and it turns out not to fit...$40 down the drain.
Hey, what about trying some LED's? $30 up in smoke if you get the voltage wrong.
Think I could make this SW2 into a leaf-spring rig? kiss $65 goodbye

It adds up, believe me. But the ones that pay off are worth the mistakes. Think I could make my own International Scout body, and con someone into making Lexan copies?....
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 08:56 PM   #13
Colt Python/SR9c

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjman
Yeah, 1300 is kinda steep,

specially not even getting the scale axles and having TLT axles on it..

but as already mentioned, it depends on alot as to how much you can build yourself.. I have a ton more money in my super than in my Yota scale truck
TwistedCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 09:04 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Just wait until you start rebuilding scale rigs, then it really adds up!
slugzracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 10:02 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Thats a really nice truck, if I had the money I would buy one. hell I don't even have enough for a tlt only 14 no job yet.
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 10:05 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedCreations
specially not even getting the scale axles and having TLT axles on it..

but as already mentioned, it depends on alot as to how much you can build yourself.. I have a ton more money in my super than in my Yota scale truck
And let me tell you, that Yota is way damn cooler than ANY comp rig I have ever seen.
xjman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 10:14 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Pick your poison...

The majority of people who own a scale truck or five already have a comp rig, a 2.2 rig, a trail rig, etc.

Scale is a way of getting really personal with your truck. Out of all the categories out there, it requires the most time and dedication. So when people build scale items to sell, you are really paying for the precision of their labors. There's "scale" and then there's SCALE. WHat you pay to buy or what you invest in time to make on a scaler depends on your expectations of the final outcome.

I'm personally a fan of 1badjeep's ugly green Bruiser. It is phenomenally sick in my book. That truck is worth at least $2k when you count the amount of time spent. On paper, it is maybe $800 at best without electronics (although I'm sure he'd know better than me). By the time a truck like that is finished, you're almost asking a ridiculous price because you don't want to sell it. Scale is the epitome of the art side of crawling. You always pay for fine art.
radishkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 10:25 PM   #18
06 Super National Champ

Aside from the XR311 I messed with in Korea, this was my first "scaler".

Old 11-23-2006, 10:51 PM   #19
Release your anger..

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan
Well put.

I am building a scale rig because there are no "rules" per say. If I want a 10 inch wheel base or a 14 inch wheel base, it's up to me.

Hard body, Lexan body, tuber, or a hand made aluminum body, it's up to the builder and his vision.

And on and on it goes, my personal favorite is Badger's Mountaineer and JIA's FJ40 rig. But there are many many more I would love to have!

It's not about all out performance at all cost, it's the "artistic" side of the sport!
dez,you hit the nail on the head
it's not the cost that matters it's the amount of detail and hard work you are willing to put in that makes scale trucks worth it
ThinkTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 11:51 PM   #20
Oppan Gangnam Style

you got it. all the time spent on a scale rig that makes it look scale and be able to work as good as possible is worth alot. i can't tell you how many hours i have spent on this thing tweaking and modifying it to near perfection (in my eyes). the ability of this thing with the mini mashers was absolutely amazing! i scored better on some courses than comp rigs with this thing.

for me, scale is where it's at but at the same time, it must perform decently well. a scale rig that works well acomplishes two things: performance and most of all, realism. that to me is almost priceless! how much it costs is determined by the amount of time and money you have in it and what you or someone else thinks it is worth.
chino63 is offline   Reply With Quote