Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 2.2 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: TBF - First time build - Silverado Truggy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2016, 11:26 PM   #1

Default TBF - First time build - Silverado Truggy

I started gathering parts and I am going to attempt building a rig. I'm new to RC Crawling, so please bear with me.

My initial plan is for a 07-13 Silverado extended cab Truggy with slightly pinched nose. Not sure exactly what I will end of with, but it is the starting goal. I do have the Pro-Line 07 Silverado, so it is also a good starting point.

The name: It might get a better one later, but for now I am calling it TBF which could stand for any of the following:
Trial By Fire
Truggy Back Frame
The Beautiful First
The Big F*****
Tires Bigger for Fun

I am partial to Trial By Fire, because I am jumping into this build with very little experience.

Some planned parts:
RC4WD Interco Boggers (have)
CI foams (need to get)
Axial beadlocks (for now)
HH Sensored Puller Pro BL 540 Standard 3500kv (have)
HH TrailMaster BLE Pro (have)
VP SCX width Curries (have rear center & tubes)
LURC FI spools
LURC scale hardware
HS-7955TG (on its way)

Planning on building the entire chassis, have not decided exactly how yet. Right now leaning towards square tube ripped. That would be to just behind the cab, then tube or solid rod for the rest. I have access to a MIG and am fairly confident with it. I've never tried brazing. I will be getting a bender soon (suggestions), and some other tools.

Still need to figure out the transmission, I think I want to move it up front with a toyzuki or similar setup (suggestions please). Was thinking maybe using a Yeti transmission, then I can convert it to a two speed. But maybe a SCX/Wraith to a RC4WD two speed transfer case.

As of right now thinking somewhere between 12.5" and 13" wheelbase. Thinking about trailing arms for the rear and three link in the front.

Still a lot of things to figure out, it will be a fairly slow build.

Suggestions, feedback, tips or comments just to tell me I'm an idiot, are all welcome and appreciated.

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1451714658170.jpg
Views: 564
Size:  117.8 KB

Last edited by ZACHM; 01-01-2016 at 11:28 PM.
ZACHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2016, 01:16 PM   #2

Default Re: TBF - First time build - Silverado Truggy

Looks like your off to a good start.
Jabonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 02:51 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Default Re: TBF - First time build - Silverado Truggy

Just a little advice for the build (since you asked);

I would buy the Toyzuki forward motor mount and transfer case and plan the build around them. If you're determined to build your own chassis square tube is a reasonable start, just keep in mind it'll probably weigh more than an off the shelf unit like the axial frame rails or any others. Square tube is pretty heavy so choose your materials wisely. Chances are, if you think it's strong enough it's probably too strong.

Weight is the big name of the game with these, as with anything else. I have been building my own chassis for a while and have always been amazed at how lighter trucks can pull some amazing lines. Keep your solid rod fairly minimal.

If you can return the 7955 or use it on something smaller. 2.2's really need something like a 7950. I ran a 7950 in my 12lb wraith based build and was able to move rocks with it, and it never got crazy hot either. With a proper BEC I was feeding it 8.4v and the torque was amazing. I'll be reusing it on a smaller build and replacing with a 7980 for my next wraith based build.

I'd visit your local harbor freight or auto parts store to look around at what benders they have. I have a few different ones depending on what I'm trying to accomplish.

Ring Roller - Save on this Gear Driven Ring Roller
Lisle Corporation
470-FH Triple Head 180° Tube Bender with Roto-Lok
DrewHammer is offline   Reply With Quote

TBF - First time build - Silverado Truggy - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1.9 Silverado truggy.. XSRCdesign 1.9 Scale Rigs 245 01-04-2016 12:10 PM
Project: ROCKSTAR!! (Silverado Truggy build) Prime 2.2 Scale Rigs 56 03-28-2014 11:59 AM
XSRCdesign's RC4WD Scaler Build off entry "Silverado Truggy" XSRCdesign 1.9 Scale Rigs 134 01-15-2014 01:55 PM
1.9 Silverado Truggy Tremelle 1.9 Scale Rigs 11 12-22-2010 09:36 AM
Truggy Silverado dirk379 2.2 Scale Rigs 25 10-25-2007 11:31 AM