Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 2.2 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Newbie 2.2 Rubicon build...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2007, 04:27 AM   #1

Default Newbie 2.2 Rubicon build...

I first posted this in the TLT forum but since it is going to be more of a scale rig than a dedicated crawler I figured I should have posted here.

Well this is my first TLT build. I built a little VMG and got addicted so I wanted to try a little bigger build and something that was more scale looking. Once I saw the 2.2 Swamp Dawgs I knew what I had to do. The last experience I had with hobby grade RC was about 15 yrs ago but it's just like riding a bike I guess. It did take me several months of lurking to get up to speed on new esc's, brushless motors, li-polys etc. and I've just scratched the surface it seems. Anyway, I've done a lot of research on this forum and got some great ideas and that's where the credit goes for this build turning out somewhat decent. Thanks for the help, any comments or advice is greatly appreciated .

Specs:
K2-3L Chassis
Mamba Max (ordered)
BM-16 (ordered)
TLT axles
Beadlocks (forgot manuf.)
Wheel Wideners (forgot Manuf.)
2.2 Swamp Dawgs
Pede Tranny
T-maxx shafts
Mad Force Shocks (borrowed from my 1:6 scale project)
TQ-3 radio
HPI Rubicon Body

Now for some pics...

Sorry about the poser pics but I am waiting for the motor/esc to come in before I can get any real action shots...

I have a servo plate/upper link mount ordered to clean up the upper link mounts on the axle. Kinda bootleg right now but it works for testing purposes...

Belly shot. Gotta take out the hex bolts and put in some counter sunk tranny screws...

Poser flex shot on my Hydraulic Fitting Press motor...

Dr. Pepper cans everywhere are cowering in fear!!!

Lemme know what you think! Chris.
cnflxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2007, 10:34 AM   #2
Sinking with the ship

Few suggestions for you... One, you are going to want to lower it, with the tall ride height its going to be very tippy. Two, you need to do something about the caster on the front axle otherwise its not going to steer correctly. Lastly, what scale features should we expect to see in the future/

-Mike
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 11:48 AM   #3
RCC Addict

whats the need for widers in scale?tlt axles should be about the right width for the hpi rubi body
Kranberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 12:55 PM   #4

Mike, Thanks for the suggestions! I do plan on lowering it some. The shocks I used came from a Mad Force chassis I had laying around and I was really only using them to mock up the chassis. I'll make my final ride height decision once I install the body. As for the castor I have ordered a couple servo/upper link mounts for the axles. Hopefully triangulating the upper links will rotate the top of the axle around enough to steer properly. If not I'll shorten the upper links. As far as the scale accesories I intend to use the HPI Rubicon body, I have a snorkel, roof rack, and cooler already I plan to install. I'd also like to make a working winch for it. Thanks again for the advice!

CJ... As far as the wideners being necessary I don't believe they are. I just prefer the look of the wider stance. It also helps me to clear my links and shocks and stuff at full wheel lock turn. Even my 1:1 rigs either have offset rims or spacers. My current 1:1 project is a 99 XJ Cherokee that I'm putting a 14 bolt and Dana 60 in full width. The middle of the 37" Iroks will prolly be directly under the fender . That's just how I like 'em.

Chris.

Last edited by cnflxj; 09-02-2007 at 01:06 PM.
cnflxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:50 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Get it finished?
ScaleReady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:21 AM   #6
RCC Addict

I have 4 rigs with TLTs. Great axles. But they reach their limits, especially with wideners.

After you get your body on and shock length corrected, you can clock the front axle using modified "Cs".
This allows you pinion to point more towards the trans, reducing drive angle stress, and improving ground clearance. While keeping the caster neutral so you can get the most out of your servo.
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axles...ess-steel.html
sweli is offline   Reply With Quote