Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Southwest > Arizona

Notices

Thread: Todays Events! "Everyone Please Read!!"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2009, 11:12 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Exclamation Todays Events! "Everyone Please Read!!"

Today started out as a beautiful day up in Prescott to join NARCCA at Watson Lake for their comp, but that all quickly changed!

First Jason (JasonJones) took a tumble and may have fractured his hand when he fell, but was able to make it through the rest of the day. Hope your doing okay Jason!

Then Brian (briansbodies) one upped Jason by taking a horrible stumble from about 4 ft up on the rocks dislocating his ankle and fracturing it. He had to be taken by ambulance to the nearest hospital, but is now home awaiting an upcoming surgery to install several screws and a metal plate or two in his ankle. Thankfully he had Matt, Justin, and Scott who stayed with him at the hospital and then got him safely home. Thanks guys!
For those of you that do not already know this about Brian he had back surgery in August of '07 and has been out of work since. He no longer has insurance so if any of you can or would like to help out in anyway you can pm SMOKEY or myself for paypal info
Brian I hope you have a speedy recovery and if you need anything please let us know.

Ohh and lets not forget Clint! Clint was picking up his rig by the front tire just before we went home and mistakenly hit the throttle on his remote which pulled his right ring finger in between the wheel and the knuckle. There wasn't quite enough room as you can imagine so the knuckle decided to remove his nail to make it fit. Kolby had to remove Clints front wheel in order for him to remove his finger...not pretty!! I just spent the last three hours in a Chandler urgent care with Clint who was having the rest of his nail removed and several stitches put in. I have video and pics of this if anyone would like to see.

We have all talked at one point or another how dangerous these rocks can be so please don't think that I am taking this lightly. This was the single most horrible day I have ever had in RC rock crawling, but it could have been so much worse! Something like this could happen to anyone of us and the larger our club P.A.R.C. gets the more likely we are to have situations like this one. We are all going to have to be more aware of where we are as a group on the rocks. In my opinion there should be no one other then the judge/judges and the driver on the course while it is being run. The courses get too crowded and dangerous when there is a group of guys gathering around the driver and judge while he or she is running and it is a distraction to the driver. Actually I am really surprised that it has taken this long for someone to get seriously hurt. I am not trying to say that crowds contributed to these events because honestly they did not. What I am saying is that a crowded course leaves a driver/judge no out if he or she should loose their footing and could inevitably take out several people in one swoop.

-Brian

Last edited by bmuzz1; 10-18-2009 at 11:07 AM.
bmuzz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2009, 11:46 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

If you feel its getting to crowded speak up, I'd rather someone get butthurt over it for a moment(which shouldn't happen) than someone get physically hurt.

Don't rush, stop time if you need to climb over/down/up the hill or rocks. That way you can look at your footing instead of watching your rig until your ready to start time again.

Glad everyone is doing okay now
Failedabortion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 12:49 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Muzzy I agree 100%. This was the single most (for lack of a better word) ****ed day i have ever been a part of in this hobby. Safety needs to be the number one top priority and these events. Stop time make sure you have you footing and take your time navigating these rocks. Today's events were all just freak accidents but it could happen to anyone of us so please be careful.

Brian I hope you make a speedy recovery. Please let me know if there is anything i can do to help. For all that where not in prescott today here's an xray reminder of what can happen

SMOKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 06:15 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Now that's a sexy ankle right there... Brian I hope you have a speedy recovery as well... Don't forget to ask the doctor if they are putting in Metric or US hardware.

My hand and ribs feel stiff and sore today, but nothing that can't be managed. What a boner fall I took just walking along, I stumbled as my foot fell in a hole and I ran a good 6-8ft trying to get my balance on the downhill slope and just Yardsale'd out... I'm very glad I didn't end up with an X-Ray like Brians, damn that aint pretty. Thanks Tyler for going back to the car and getting my pain meds.

I want to see the video/pics of Clint's nail biting experience... (pun intended of course!) That sounds like a painful one, what a crazy day...

Those Norhthern guys must think us Phoenix guys just can't handle the Altitude and Perfect weather or something after today's events...
JasonJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 07:45 AM   #5
RCC Addict

WOW! This sure sucks. I hope the three of you recover soon.
This sure takes the fun out of what we do. :-(

-Rick
cars69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 09:00 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Default Hate to see it

Brian was doing good last night when we dropped him off a little stressed but overall in good spirts. I wish him well and if you need anything Brian let us know we will get it handled for you, because I know you would do it for anyone of us Get well and we will get you a 4x4 wheel chair to make it to the comps LOL

Here is another xray
Attached Images

Minitrucker69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 03:08 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Sounds like it was carnage up there. Glad to hear everyone is back & not more seriously hurt.

Climbing around on the rocks is dangerous, but remember: it's just as dangerous at home. I fell down the stairs this AM. walking with a limp, but nothing serious.

Hang in there Guys!

Rich C.
conejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 10:04 PM   #8
Mic
Rock Crawler

Wishes for a speedy recovery for everyone
Mic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 11:08 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

that sucks! i bet they will use 4-40 screws
jamesdicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:21 PM   #10
R.I.P. Chip

Sounds like you guys need to rethink where you are building your courses.

Glad for the most part everyone is gonna be alright.
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:52 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason View Post

I appreciate the concern there Jason. We always consider the dangers for our competitiors trucks along with our competitors when we design a course. The rock ledge that Brian was on, was nothing in comparison to the rock that had the zip line at Nationals 08(just for reference). We will from now on, encourage our competitors to call out for a stop time and relocate their selves in a safe manner if needed.

A pic of the area in which the incident happened.
winkscrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 04:30 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

SARCCA just started using a "time out" for a driver reposition(truck can not move). We started realizing that not everyone is as sure-footed and fast enough to keep up with the rigs in certain spots. Everything is of course within reason.

I hope all that were injured can heal up quick..look foward to crawling with you guys again.
joemomma95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:31 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

Smile Pics before Brian went base jumping LOL

And Brian telling me i am #1

Get well Brian we will see ya soon if you need a ride to the hobby shop let me know I hear they guys got a new boss down there so we need to break her in right
Minitrucker69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 01:51 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason View Post

I am with you on this one Jason. I am not an old pro, but have been to enough comps to see that some lines should be re-thought. Being of the larger variety, its hard for me to walk and chew gum, much less drive my toy car while hanging off the side of a rock ledge. I understand the course cannot be on flat ground( that would be nice for me, I might finish a course with a clean run for once) but maybe make sure that if its a little of kilter make sure and let the driver know if we can stop time to relocate outselves. I am not sure if thats in the rules for a big event, but on the local level, it might be better to bend the rules than bend the drivers.

And on a side note. PLEASE WEAR DECENT SHOES. A guy who will remain nameless (JEREMY TONEY) wears the same stupid shoes to every comp and has fell at every comp I have been to with him, and most of the ones I have not. Its time to retire those bad boys. I got $5 towards a new pair. A decent pair of shoes might help out at least a little.
The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote