Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Southwest > Arizona

Notices

Thread: Super Newb...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2010, 01:25 PM   #1

Default Super Newb...

Yep, I barely know what tire foam is for... I have a built 1:1 crawler (4 door Jeep JK). I got my 9 yr old son a Slash a couple of years ago thinking he could take it out on the trails when we go wheeling. It just doesnt work being high speed 2wd. So, the time has come to get him a crawler.

I was looking at the AX10 (like most newbs). Seems like a good bang for the buck. Then I was reading a little more about the RedCat RS10XT and it seemed like a deal. I understand it is more of a capable crawler right out of the box comparing stock to stock. So, I am kind of leaning that way right now, and I like the price much better.

But then I have a friend who has a used AX10 (built from ARTR) that he will sell me. He will take the electronics off and sell it for around $110. His point is that I can then rob the transmitter, receiver, and esc from the slash to use on the AX10. Does that make sense?

My thought is to ultimately buy the components so we would actually have 2 working r/c trucks instead of swapping things out. So, without knowing which exact components I should buy, I was looking at prices of them. Seems like a decent radio/receiver and esc are going to be over $100-150. Add in the price of the used AX10 and I am about the same as just buying a new RTC.

Does that make sense? What are the thoughts from you local experts? I am also curious about some good r/c shops to use closest to the NE valley. To possibly buy a new truck and/or these electronics... I have been to Franks before, and bought the Slash there. Seems like I overpaid.

Anyway, cool forum you guys have here. Lots of great info, and the local comp circuit seems really active. Thanks for the info...

Jason
RubiJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-2010, 02:56 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Hey Jason
I was/am in the same boat (07 JKU). Here in TX there are not a lot of places close by to wheel, and I needed something to aliveate my crawling itch.
My inital thought was to bring the elctronics over from my old Rustler to a crawler. I ended up with a Venom Creeper ( I wanted to put my own kit together, more fun for me), but as I have started the build, I decided to just bite the bullet and get the Rooster ESC and a 55t motor, now I have decided to just get a 3ch tx/rx, and to sell off my Rustler and old batteries and go LiPo. I have not even got the thing together yet!!
myklt8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 03:04 PM   #3

Newbie here too. Seems like the Losi Night Crawler is a fair package and if you want to put your own touches, the Comp Crawler may be better. I went a whole different direction but those were major contenders. Go online and search out prices, there are deals to be had if you can wait a couple of days.
Castle Rockrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 04:40 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

you can get a traxxas 2 channel for under 90 bucks and the dx3e is 99.99 even if you bought a ax10 rtc you will still need to buy batteries go over to viper hobbies at greenfield and university we can hook you up i won't be in until tuesday mid day i can help you decide which way to go
joe daigle jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 11:06 AM   #5

Thanks guys. I appreciate the input. I might swing by the hobby shop on Mon or Tues before making up my mind. I am leaning toward this used truck. He has a nice Jeep shell on it, a good 55T motor, aftermarket tires (unsure what kind yet), and some high output servo. I can throw on my receiver from our Slash and use that transmitter. So, the only other thing I should by is an ESC... which I am leaning toward the Novak Rooster Crawler based on what I have read on here. So, I can be into the whole setup for under $200.

Old 12-19-2010, 12:08 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

well,ive been runnin rs10 axles with some cheap upgrades(traxxis big bores w/ losi gold springs,kamakaze chassis,stock esc.....)i took 3rd in sportsman @ the narcca summer shootout 2010. I think the rs10 is the best bang for your buck,with all the cheap uprades that are available to make it pretty capable.unless you want a straight-up comp rig,redcat makes a good beginner rig.
dred-eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 12:17 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

losi's are great rigs too.personallyi think moa is the way to go.shafty's work great when they're kitted"out/& dialed,but it takes more to get an lcc dialed in.unless you're gonna be comping,i would go with the rs10.for a few bucks more(look @ the rs10 thread here)you can make it a fun & very capable crawler.
dred-eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 11:32 AM   #8

Thanks for all the input. I wrote another post to this thread a couple of days ago, and added pics of the ax10... It said something about needing approval before publishing what I wrote? Im surprised it has taken so long. Or maybe it was refused for some reason? Obviously, being new to this forum, I dont know all of their rules and SOP's.

I am leaning toward the ax10... It has an aftermarket high torque servo, and aftermarket/upgraded tires. It also has a nice Jeep TJ shell, and is coming from a guy I know and trust (also who has built many, many r/c vehicles). Being an ARTR, it has the alum links, which I think are better than the plastic in the RTC. I can swap in my rx and use the tx from our Slash, so all I would need to buy is an ESC. I also can use the stick packs from our Slash. So, I think I can be into this setup for less than $200 and have a pretty competent rig. I cant get a new rx/tx down the road so both the ax10 and Slash will be operable without having to swap out any components. Sounds like a pretty good way to go.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:30 AM   #9

Well, I got the ax10. Pretty fun and capable rig. Joe, I have to say thanks to you... I spoke to Paul on the phone yesterday, and told him that you told me about Viper, and he hooked me up with a great deal on a Rooster Crawler.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:23 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

sweet i forgot to mention it to them they are a great group of guys you call on a part before noon if they dont have it they will the next day no extra charge glad i could help
Old 12-21-2010, 10:26 PM   #11

Yep, he told me about the Cali warehouse when I asked about the 4 door JK bodies. I have to say... The part was priced at $10 more than their website had it listed, but he sold it to me for $5 LESS than their website had it listed for. All that for mentioning "joe daigle jr" is a pretty sweet deal! Thanks again man.
Old 12-23-2010, 04:04 PM   #12

Hey Joe... Good to meet you today, and thanks for all your help getting me a few more things I need. Once the little guy gets this for Xmas, we will come back and see you for a few other parts. Great bunch of guys down there at Viper.
Old 12-24-2010, 04:22 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

glad i could help out i am sure the little guy is gonna love his present hope you guys can make it out to the gtg in queen valley sunday i have been suggesting it to all the people who have been coming in for crawler stuff this week so i am gonna go out with my comp rigs for some much needed practice