Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Southwest > Arizona

Notices

Thread: NO MORE BROKEN GEARS (xr10 axle mod)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2012, 11:46 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default NO MORE BROKEN GEARS (xr10 axle mod)

tip/trick i learned from my time in kentucky crawling with louisville crawlers

"XR-10 CHEAP EASY FIX FOR BREAKING GEARS
by crazycrawler » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:46 pm

Look at the pic, the problem with the gears breaking (aside from the wrong screw being used in the hole axa465 is supposed to go) is due to the cap ax80063(2) separating from the axle housing under a load and allowing the bearing axa1213 to move and let the gear ax30551 jump teeth resulting in damage.
Lots of folks are going with hardened gears which is a good fix but the gears can still skip/jump, what i did is drill the hole for axa437 to 1/8 inch through the cap and entire axle housing (MAKE SURE TO CLEAR DEBRIS FROM HOUSING AFTER DRILLING) then used a 3x40mm cap head bolt inserted through the bottom of the axle housing up through the cap and used a 3mm nylon locking nut. (DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN DOING SO COULD RESULT IN BINDING OR OTHER DAMAGE) i will probably change the cap head bolt to a button head to keep from hanging up on stuff, i then used an AX30768 machined final gear and left the rest of the gears stock. then i did the carpet test and it held up no pops or gear breakage."

the screw hole closest to enter on the plate can also accept this mod. it works better wen combined with the bushing too. i ran a full season on it before i sold the truck with no issues. before the mod i was breaking gears at every comp.
rock_starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

NO MORE BROKEN GEARS (xr10 axle mod) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
broken gears helhedded EnRoute Berg 38 10-03-2012 11:33 AM
Broken gears before I even made it outside to try out my XR10 Bigaaron Axial XR10 147 10-27-2010 03:38 PM