Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Southeast > Arkansas

Notices

View Poll Results: Which non-dig class should we run in 2012?
1.9 pro 1 7.69%
2.2 sportsman 5 38.46%
both 7 53.85%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: 1.9 pro or 2.2 sportsman in 2012?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2011, 03:01 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default 1.9 pro or 2.2 sportsman in 2012?

What would you guys like to see? Due to the size of our club I was thinking that it would be a good idea to focus on one or the other. We might even see some new people pop-up. All throughout the 2011 season we had 2-3 1.9 drivers and 2-3 2.2 sporty drivers per comp. Maybe those numbers will double if we cut one out? Just and idea.

Which is it? Post up what and why you voted.

I'm going for 2.2 sporty. I like that that I could use the same wheels tires and foams that I use on my comp 2.2. The aftermarket is also much more extensive for 2.2s.

discuss.
helhedded is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2011, 03:15 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

You left out the "None" or "No new additions" option in your poll.

But you might want it to be "2.2 shafty" or "2.2 Sportsman". Sportsman and shafty are two different classes IMO. Just cause the truck has driveshafts doesn't mean the driver is a new to the sport or the truck is entry level.

Cause you know competitive guys like to build super trick 2.2 drive shaft driven trucks and do almost the same as MOA's in the "sportsman" class.

I'm just sayin'.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:23 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

50/50...
ROLANDROCKSHOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:25 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szczerba View Post
You left out the "None" or "No new additions" option in your poll.

But you might want it to be "2.2 shafty" or "2.2 Sportsman". Sportsman and shafty are two different classes IMO. Just cause the truck has driveshafts doesn't mean the driver is a new to the sport or the truck is entry level.

Cause you know competitive guys like to build super trick 2.2 drive shaft driven trucks and do almost the same as MOA's in the "sportsman" class.

I'm just sayin'.
I wanted your opinion on 1.9 or 2.2 sportman. To my knowledge a 2.2 shafty only and a 2.2 sportsman are the same thing. People like to hop up their trucks and that's part of competition. Also... just because a competitive guy has all of the bells and whistles on his sportsman doesn't necessarily mean that he will win either.
Old 10-19-2011, 03:26 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLANDROCKSHOP View Post
50/50...

explain
Old 10-19-2011, 03:32 PM   #6
RCC Addict

2.2 sportsman, it is NO dig and that makes it a drivers class.
jeepcj578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:35 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by helhedded View Post
I wanted your opinion on 1.9 or 2.2 sportman. To my knowledge a 2.2 shafty only and a 2.2 sportsman are the same thing. People like to hop up their trucks and that's part of competition. Also... just because a competitive guy has all of the bells and whistles on his sportsman doesn't necessarily mean that he will win either.
Just wondering if you were trying to be more "entry level" friendly or just get another class going.

Cause you know (and you know you know), Good drivers with nice 2.2 shaft driven trucks will still dominate that "sporty" or "shaft" class, hince still leaving newer drivers in the back of the pack.
Old 10-19-2011, 03:40 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Just wondering if you were trying to be more "entry level" friendly or just get another class going.

Cause you know (and you know you know), Good drivers with nice 2.2 shaft driven trucks will still dominate that "sporty" or "shaft" class, hince still leaving newer drivers in the back of the pack.

That's how things were when I started running the pro class, even before moas were dominating the scene. A beginner has to start somewhere. Just my thoughts. Did you take 1st place at your 1st comp?
Old 10-19-2011, 03:43 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by helhedded View Post
That's how things were when I started running the pro class, even before moas were dominating the scene. A beginner has to start somewhere. Just my thoughts. Did you take 1st place at your 1st comp?
I guess your just trying to get another class going correct? (cause it looks like you didn't read my question, with your response )
Guess I am just a little confused about the definition of "sportsman"
So, I'll pick 2.2 sportsman then.
Old 10-19-2011, 03:51 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I guess your just trying to get another class going correct? (cause it looks like you didn't read my question, with your response )
Guess I am just a little confused about the definition of "sportsman"
So, I'll pick 2.2 sportsman then.
Yes I am trying to be more entry-level friendly and I'm trying to get more drivers to come out.

Old 10-19-2011, 04:31 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

i would think the 2.2 sporty class would be better. altho i still don't qualify. the ability to kinda swap parts from a comp rig to a sportsman would be nice. sure wish the wraith was comp legal. guess i'll just stick running with the scalers.
hoghead5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:26 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoghead5150 View Post
i would think the 2.2 sporty class would be better. altho i still don't qualify. the ability to kinda swap parts from a comp rig to a sportsman would be nice. sure wish the wraith was comp legal. guess i'll just stick running with the scalers.
If you could get your Wraith to meet these requirements then you could run.

2.3 - Class 2 – Class 2.2:

▪ 2.3.1 - Vehicle wheelbase is limited to a maximum of 12.5 inches.
▪ 2.3.2 - Vehicle track width is limited to a maximum of 12.5 inches. This is determined by measuring
the bottom of the outer most edge of the front and rear tires while the vehicle is sitting on level ground.
▪ 2.3.3 - Vehicle is limited to 2.2 inch wheels/rims or smaller at the bead surface. Wheels may be modified provided
that the tire bead surface does not exceed 2.2 inches in diameter. With a tire mounted no exterior component of the
wheel including but not limited to the bead lock ring shall exceed 2.55". Tires may be modified from other sized tires
using only a pliable rubber but must not exceed a total uncompressed outer diameter of 6 inches.
▪ 2.3.4 - Vehicles are limited to 2-wheel steering only.
▪ 2.3.5 - 2.2 Crawler class bodiless 8" overall length, 3" overall width, and 3.75" overall height.
▪ 2.3.6 - Bodied vehicles must be 3” minimum height on sides. No less than 12.5”
total length and full original width, and no less than 5” in center.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:41 PM   #13
RCC Addict

I'd like to see both 1.9 and "pro shafty" run at club comps whenever there's 3 or more entries.

Of course pro shafty would be easier to run at comps since the courses would be the exactly same as pro 2.2.

IMO, a true "sportsman" class should be "run whatcha brung" class to attract the new guys, let them run whatever they may have. That's what we do up here at NWARC when some new guys show up. I know I'd hate to have to run against Ashton and Shane in "sportsman".........
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:53 PM   #14
Old guy

Get rid of that name sportsman.

1.9 or 2.2 Shafty/2.2S pro

The word sportsman should be replaced with novice. The word novice sounds more comfortable to a new guy.

We let them run what ever they got on the same courses as us. we give the 60 point out , let them use the 20pt bypass rule and give them more time.
We had novices finish courses that we didn't, because they had the extra time and points.
ROCKEDUP RICKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:20 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

being new to this i would love to see a "run what ya brung" class. rules being 2 wheel steering, and 2.2 (or less) tires.

i bought the wraith because i wasn't planning on competing and really didn't think much of that was going on around here. i mostly trial ride and play around on the rocks. with a class geared more toward the novice, and not requiring us to modify our beginner vehicles to compete, i think you would get more people showing up.

i would love to try comping, but i'm not going to shorten my wraith to do it. i like it the way it is. maybe i just need to buy a rig and set it up for comps. but until i could try it and see if i like it, i'm not going to fork out the dough.
hoghead5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:52 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

corky comp'd the sportsman class with this 2.2 and did fairly well..
orange ax-10 w the proline cage on it..far left..

im 50/50 ..1.9 and the 2.2 shafty class..
both can be newbie friendly..
Old 10-19-2011, 07:52 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcj578 View Post
2.2 sportsman, it is NO dig and that makes it a drivers class.
bryan's back on..wow!
Old 10-19-2011, 10:00 PM   #18

I've got a Losi 2.2
ANGLEOFATTACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 08:32 AM   #19
RCC Addict

Ok how's this 2.2 shafty No dig class. Anyone can run call it whatever you want, if only 3 people show up then its not worth the drive for me.
jeepcj578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 11:06 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcj578 View Post
Ok how's this 2.2 shafty No dig class. Anyone can run call it whatever you want, if only 3 people show up then its not worth the drive for me.
only 3 people in 1 class or 3 people total?

were lucky to have 3 people in 1.9 or shafty class..