Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: AX-10 "Redbull Rockit"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2008, 12:23 AM   #1

Default AX-10 "Redbull Rockit"

Hello RCC.

Lately I have been thinking about building up a new 2.2 rig. I planned on using my TLT axles I have laying around but decided to try some AX10 instead. I'm really happy I did, the quality, looks and just the overall design of them are a step ahead of the TLT's in my opinion.

I wanted to make it a tuber, but was having trouble drawing up something I liked. So for this time I wanted to find a 1.1 rig that I liked and base it off that. I looked at a few and decided on the newer style Redbull rock-it. IMO this is one of the sweetest crawlers for sure, other than the CC bastard

Specs will be pretty basic, I aint got no money

AX10 axles.

2.2 Rock Claws/ Hybrid 1.9's for rock racing.

4link F/R

Pede Tranny/ I'm unsure on motor/esc setup.

Here's a pic of the Rock it with out its body panels, Under that is what I've got so far, I'm not too happy with it, I think im going to rework the cage just a little ,the lower part of the chassis is also temporary for now.

Thanks for looking, any comments/suggestions welcome.

Last edited by guest; 01-21-2008 at 12:50 AM.
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2008, 04:07 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Looks like a Good Start.
DieselPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 10:29 PM   #3

Now this will be fun. Long story on the RockIt II, but it was designed for what was to be the "NEW" face of rockcrawling courses, extreme breakovers. There was a course built in Salt Lake that finaly stopped the moonbuggy domination we had seen for a couple of years because the course was full of 90 degree or sharper breakover angles. The very low belly clearance of the moonbuggies meant they had to jump over those breakovers, instead of crawling over them. This meant they would tag cones due to speed, or simply roll on landing. After seeing that course, I figured that because of the way it created a very balanced field and some super exciting runs, the event promoters would build more of those courses. I began designing what would become a technical nightmare of a machine that would be capable of just flat-out crawling over HUGE breakovers. At ride height, I had 29" of belly clearance with the CG sitting at 30"...pretty trick and the crawler worked doing exactly what it was designed to do. Unfortunatly, there was never a course built like that again and what was an amazing idea, and a serious amount of R&D, turned into a machine with the performance of a 7 on a 1-10 scale. Had they built more of those courses, it would have become a different game and the RockIt II would have done VERY well.

We won a few events with it, pushed the limits of driveshaft angles with it (38 degrees at ride height, 87 degroees and droop) and I definitly had a blast with it. I miss it a ton that's for sure. It now belongs to Vitaly Gavinski in a very cold Moscow, Russia, where he will drive it to try to retain his Russian Rockcrawling Title, which he won this year in Becca's old CJ that we modified for him.

Looking at your start, you've done a good job on the chassis layout so far. If you get stuck on anything looks-wise, PM me and I'll try to help with a photo.

And I'm sorry but the Lil Bastard isn't even in the same field as the RockIt II...The Lil Bastard actually is in a class of its own, 10 levels above! :-P
RedBullRockIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 11:52 PM   #4

WOW I didn't even know you were a member here. Sweet

Quote:
Looking at your start, you've done a good job on the chassis layout so far. If you get stuck on anything looks-wise, PM me and I'll try to help with a photo.
Thanks, I appreciate that..

One question though, do you by any chance remember your WB and overall length of your chassis ?

Thanks.

guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 05:12 AM   #5
RCC Addict

I think your design looks good ! and your welds look solid. Looks like a tuber to me. Great job.
JUSTGOINGSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 12:07 PM   #6

Wheelbase = 103"

Overall length = 143"

The body would come right to the ends of the tires.
RedBullRockIt is offline   Reply With Quote