Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Upcoming AX10 build. Am I missing anything?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2008, 12:01 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Upcoming AX10 build. Am I missing anything?

I've been running a TLT/SW2 since Jan of last year and have had a brand new TLT kit sitting around since w/plans of building up another crawler (tuber probably). But after reading about the scorpion kits for the last several months, I'm going to build up an Axial kit instead.

I've read thru countless build threads and plan to order most of my parts thru tCS. I just want to make sure I'm getting everything I need in one shot to build a comp worthy crawler.
  • Axial Kit (obviously)
  • Losi Rock Claws
  • Alu or Delrin Axle places for saddle pack battery
  • TCS Aluminum Upper Link/Servo Mount (newb Question-Do I need 2 of these, one each for front & rear?)
  • Axial rear steer kit (Question-If I decide against rear steer, do I just buy the TCS boomerang upper link mount?)
  • TCS High clearance link
  • Novak Rooster ESC & Novak 55 Crawler Brushed Motor (motor & ESC are still up in the air. I'm also considering a Holmes combo of Quark 33 & Crawlmaster Sport)
  • TCS 8 cell Split Battery Pack
  • TCS upgraded skid plate
  • Hitec 645MG (if I go with rear steer, I'll get 2)
Given the above item list, am I better off going with the CKRC Stage 2 mod?

Lastly, there are so many alu upgrades available. How about items like alu knuckles, C-hubs, etc. Are these necessary? I'm not overly hard on my current crawler and have had the same plastic knuckles for over a year now.

My current rig is powered by an integy 55t lathe and cheapie Traxxas XL5 ESC. I can't wait to get my hands on that super smoooooth Quark 33 or something slimiarly high-end!!
patrick_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2008, 12:09 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

If your running rear steer you're going to need 2 TCS Aluminum Upper Link/Servo Mount. Keep in mind that rear steer isn't comp legal, as for the aluminum all the guys that I spoke to at the local comp said they were a must especially if you're running alum. wheels or weight in the wheeks
ScorpioCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 01:13 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Like Scorpio said, I would say the aluminum knuckles, C's and straight axles are a must if you are going to compete. If it is a cold day, that plastic will shatter in a heart beat. Everything looks good, you might want to consider the new Sidewinder from Castle Creations(They make the MM). I have not heard any feed back on it yet, but from the stats and it is very close on the features of the MM. It is cheaper than the Rooster crawler!! Never ran a Quark so I have no feedback on that. I run a 50T Axiom on 10.8 volts and happy as a clam!!
THnCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 01:24 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

If your not going to compete i would say "when it breaks replace it".
If you really have to have them, buy them and just put them on after you break the stock parts.
trailjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 01:54 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I like to not worry about breakage so i would run the alum c's and knuckles, and I think Im gonna use rcp straight axle adapters as well.

If you want to use a novak system I would recomend the Goat brushless, I got one a month ago and Im very impressed with it, it doesnt have any braking or lock issues at all and its smooth as butter.(think It has the upgraded software, most prob do by now)
Ax-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 02:17 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Upgrade your springs too. The stock ones are too stiff IMO.
Flatcrawlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 03:27 PM   #7

You cant run 8 cells on a Rooster Crawler so you would have to get the 7 cell if you got the Rooster Crawler
lIRATIl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 05:06 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatcrawlr View Post
Upgrade your springs too. The stock ones are too stiff IMO.
agreed I'm running the axial red's (soft) in the front and stiff (stock blue's) in the rear, works well.
ScorpioCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 05:08 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the help guys!
patrick_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 05:36 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

don't forget some sweet beadlocks, and do the stage two urself. It's mostly hardware.
dinger is offline   Reply With Quote