Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: simple droop setup

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2008, 07:04 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default simple droop setup

ok here we go. i did a simple droop setup on my ax10. i have the stage 2 setup done on my ax10. and saddle bag batteries.

step one remove the wheeles
(just a comparative picture)

remove the shocks

take the shock apart by removing the end link, pore the shock oil out. and pop the shaft assembly out of the shock body.

then place the spring which i got at ckrc on the shaft, i left the limmiter on the shaft so that it would limmit my up travel.

n
ow just reasemble the shock and mount it, and do it 3 more times and i think it should look like this.
punkafi888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2008, 07:20 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I think that you are going to have some issues running that low of ground clearence.
Josh87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 07:25 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

i was looking at it and i beleve your right. i cant figure out how to get it to sit up just a little
Old 02-04-2008, 07:26 PM   #4
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

Holy frikkin low belly :-P And I thought my Widow was a gut dragger
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 07:27 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh87 View Post
I think that you are going to have some issues running that low of ground clearence.
x2.. something wrong with that setup...the links should be some what level. more then 1'' of g.c....
bill c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 07:28 PM   #6
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkafi888 View Post
i was looking at it and i beleve your right. i cant figure out how to get it to sit up just a little
I would say try a piece of fuel tubing around the shock shaft to limit the shock from closing all the way....but that may be a long piece of tubing.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:37 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Old 02-04-2008, 08:28 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

whoa, for one thing, shrink the pics down a bit. in your face! anyway, you have the right idea for droop but you need spacers or springs on top of the piston to adjust ride height. a little goes a long way so if you take that spacer that you put under the piston and move it to the top, it may be enough. I dont like to use any spacers, just a medium spring slightly taller than the spacer so it wil compress to a little less space than the spacer but gives you more ride height than the spacer.
TRA3905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 09:26 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Not to gank your thread... But like they said, you need to get it higher.

I have a similar setup to you, but i used the stock lower links to 4 link it and some other custom stuff.

I would move the bumpstop to the outside of the shock.
Mine gets over my local course surprisingly well, much better than most would expect.

I think with some Lizard Claws this would work out well.

Oh and it just looks like it's sitting funny b/c of the camera angle.
MattG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 09:43 PM   #10

That does look too low...got any pictures of the suspension in the extended position? I would like to be able to compare pinion angles and such.
Thanks.
TJAugie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 11:06 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

I thought 2.5 inch belly clearance was what most are shooting for. That is where my edge chasis truck sits at fool droop.
winkscrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 04:36 AM   #12

funny I just put a droop setup on mine yesterday. I put a spring on the top and bottom and it sits pretty good. So I would do that. Im also going to put 100wt oil in the shocks over the weekend, to make it sit higher and slower.
Clinton1396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 09:34 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

You could cheat this and start with longer shocks. Then you could get more out of the whole setup. Of course, there could be other issues with that sort of setup, but hey, it works on my WK. Or worked.
cotharyus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 01:30 PM   #14
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotharyus View Post
You could cheat this and start with longer shocks. Then you could get more out of the whole setup. Of course, there could be other issues with that sort of setup, but hey, it works on my WK. Or worked.
But those stock shocks are already 120mm and longer than what I would call "optimal" for a droop setup in my opinion. You'd end up having to go to Savage shocks or something just to get a longer one.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:10 PM   #15

The plate in which you upper links mount on the axle looks a bit on the thin side.
Crossedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 05:03 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Why not fab up a bracket that will leave the upper shock mount lower on the chassis? If the shocks are mounted lower on the chassis the ride height will be higher, right? The low-rider chassis really doesn't seem like it'll work out that great...
joemomma95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 05:52 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Thats a deffinate belly drager. Doesnt seem to me like it would do very well at all.
pncstod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 06:19 PM   #18
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

Not that belly dragging is a completely bad thing....it's just that when you get to a certain point, you'll be hurting yourself more than helping. Mine sits pretty low and drags it's belly all over the place, but it's still sittin' with almost 2" under it.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:33 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

tested it today surprisingly it does better than my sprung setup. but its just the way i drive and it was just tested on a simple setup course. the true test will come when i go down to finish line.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:08 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemomma95 View Post
Why not fab up a bracket that will leave the upper shock mount lower on the chassis? If the shocks are mounted lower on the chassis the ride height will be higher, right? The low-rider chassis really doesn't seem like it'll work out that great...

thats 100% right thats what i did on mine. it also helps any link binding issues. your gonna want some springs under the piston to limit drop and keep the front from pushing you off of steep ledges. my shocks mounted approx. 35mm in front of the stock body post location. this made for a good belly height
mtnyote is offline   Reply With Quote