Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Droop setup and the Edge chassis?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2008, 07:10 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Droop setup and the Edge chassis?

I got my Edge chassis today and i am trying to figure out how to setup the shocks. I have searched and read a ton of posts about shock setup but would like to know whats the best setup for the edge chassis? Should i put the springs under the piston with the stock limiter on top of the piston? Should i run the spring on top of the piston which i guess is not the droop setup everyone talks about. I have also read that some are running springs under and on top of the piston at the same time. I have done quite a bit of reading on here and havent been able to find a definate answer. What is the advantage to running a droop setup versus a standard sprung setup? I am not new to rc but am still in the learning process when it comes to crawlers.....Any help would be greatly appreciated. I will post up pics of the edge build when i get started....
pncstod is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2008, 07:35 PM   #2

I thought the Edge chassis was designed around a full droop setup.
RallyRolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 10:33 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by pncstod View Post
I got my Edge chassis today and i am trying to figure out how to setup the shocks. I have searched and read a ton of posts about shock setup but would like to know whats the best setup for the edge chassis? Should i put the springs under the piston with the stock limiter on top of the piston? Should i run the spring on top of the piston which i guess is not the droop setup everyone talks about. I have also read that some are running springs under and on top of the piston at the same time. I have done quite a bit of reading on here and havent been able to find a definate answer. What is the advantage to running a droop setup versus a standard sprung setup? I am not new to rc but am still in the learning process when it comes to crawlers.....Any help would be greatly appreciated. I will post up pics of the edge build when i get started....

I run mine at full droop. I run the spring inside the shock body under the piston. I then use the stock limiter in the stock location to set your ride height, you may need to add a little more to get your desired ride height. You can get this by using fuel tubing instead of the stock limiter on the shock shaft between the shock body and the shock mounting eyelet. This also helps limit the amount of travel you have because there is such a thing as too much. Double triangulation of the links is a good thing too. I found by limiting the amount of triangulation I was able to get thru obstacles that it would normally get all twisted up in and not get any where. Hope this helps, some pics for reference. The belly height on both is 2.5 inches.

winkscrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 11:00 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Yep what winkscrawler said. I have hotbodies shocks with axial shafts and still limit the articulation. I have 3/8" of fuel tubing on the front shocks and 1/2" of tubing on the back shocks to get the right ride height and I have the TCS springs under the pistion. I thinki it's a great set-up for me.
Trimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 02:39 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Ok guys thanks for the pointers. Im gonna try the full droop with the springs under the pistons and use the limiters or fuel tubing to set ride height. I just didnt want it to sit to low and be a total belly dragger I also already had the double triangulation setup using the spacers on the lower links and will use them again when i start the edge build, hopefully tonight
Old 02-12-2008, 05:30 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

I am running full droop setup and the stock rubber limiters on the outside of the socks and i couldnt be happier. The ride height is perfect with 2.5 inches of ground clearance. I wanna go crawling NOW but its snowing outside. Hopefully this weekend i will try it out....
Old 02-12-2008, 05:54 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pncstod View Post
I am running full droop setup and the stock rubber limiters on the outside of the socks and i couldnt be happier. The ride height is perfect with 2.5 inches of ground clearance. I wanna go crawling NOW but its snowing outside. Hopefully this weekend i will try it out....
I run the same setup pretty much. Stock limiters on the outside, but 3/8" of fuel tubing under each piston. The fuel tubing keeps the articulation under control and the limiter on the outside sets the right height just about perfect.

Where in CT are you pncstod? I'm over on the west side in New Milford (above Danbury), but we have club members all over the state (www.ctrockcrawlers.com).
MattH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 07:22 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Matt i live in North Branford about 10 minutes from where you guys go crawling--Branford Point. Branford Point is actually the only place i have been crawing and its a great spot. We went there last sunday and are gonna go again this sunday as long as its not 30 below outside If you wanna meet up shoot me a pm! We have three guys from Branford Hobbies that have crawlers.... I was thinking of joing the club but am still very new to the crawler thing. Me and my son race 1/8th truggies and monster trucks at madness. Been into the hobby for years--im 37 and we race at RC Madness in enfield.....
Old 02-12-2008, 08:13 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Glad to hear it worked out for you!!!
Trimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 12:37 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

Trimmy--why do you want to limit the articulation? I thought it was a good thing?