Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Different kind of Dig question???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2008, 05:31 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Different kind of Dig question???

So i just sold off my Wheely King. Woo Hoo! Now im looking into picking up a new AX10. It will be used primarily for trails and just bashing around really. I look around here quite frequently just dont post a whole lot. Great guys and info on here too BTW.

Anyway, i see where Visionary has that new bolt on dig set up and i think it looks and apparently works killer. Well because im not gonna be in any comps or crawling any major rocks im wondering can i use that dig setup for a 2wd/4wd switch? Im thinking i could switch the tranny around so that i could unlock the front and just let it freewheel when i want to run in 2wd. So...what do you guys think? Any advice is much appreciated.
NCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2008, 05:35 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

That would probably work, I don't see why not. But why run 2wd?
spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 05:36 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCrawler View Post
So i just sold off my Wheely King. Woo Hoo! Now im looking into picking up a new AX10. It will be used primarily for trails and just bashing around really. I look around here quite frequently just dont post a whole lot. Great guys and info on here too BTW.

Anyway, i see where Visionary has that new bolt on dig set up and i think it looks and apparently works killer. Well because im not gonna be in any comps or crawling any major rocks im wondering can i use that dig setup for a 2wd/4wd switch? Im thinking i could switch the tranny around so that i could unlock the front and just let it freewheel when i want to run in 2wd. So...what do you guys think? Any advice is much appreciated.
It'll work fine like that. Then when you decide you want to compete you can turn it around and you're ready.

Video request, hit dig while you're moving fast and pull a stoppie!

Don
VF
billet works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 05:45 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:

Yes you can do this if you want.. Build your AX10 as the manual provided states then simply add the VF Dig unit. You will have to adjust the end points on your radio or adjust the throw link so it will change from 4wd to 2wd and not engage the brake. The VF dig has 3 positions 4wd,2wd and 2wd/brake.

Hope this helps
SkR8pN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 05:49 PM   #5
RCC Addict

I would be curious to see a "stoppie" done this way. I wonder what would go first, the diff, the driveshaft, the tranny, or the dig? LOL I would pay to see what would happen. Hmmmmm maybe a test of VF's strength is needed?!

I am just kidding of course. I am still counting down the days until I get mine!!!

If you want just 2-wheel drive it kind of sounds like you might want that for handling characteristics. If that is the case you would also want a working rear diff for turning response. Might want to consider that if it is your intention to go 2-wheel.
O.C.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 07:17 PM   #6
Keep it real

I tried that before with another tranny, and there was too much drag/resistance in the front axle that it wouldn't go anywhere but on flat ground in 2wd, the fronts would just act like anchors. But that was just my experience...yours might be different
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 07:34 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinner View Post
That would probably work, I don't see why not. But why run 2wd?
I guess ive got some redneck in me with what i want to do with the 2wd/4wd. I wanna get it stuck in 2wd and then hit the button and get all 4 tires slinging and pullin' out! What can i say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by billet works View Post
It'll work fine like that. Then when you decide you want to compete you can turn it around and you're ready.

Video request, hit dig while you're moving fast and pull a stoppie!

Don
VF
Thats what i was thinking too. Use it now for a 2wd/4wd selector, then as a real dig if i decide to get into competition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanis View Post
I tried that before with another tranny, and there was too much drag/resistance in the front axle that it wouldn't go anywhere but on flat ground in 2wd, the fronts would just act like anchors. But that was just my experience...yours might be different
I thought about that. Once i get the new truck ill yank the front driveshaft out first and run it that way and see what happens befor i invest in the dig.

BTW im planning on running all this on the X-trail chassis. If i could have my way id have a two speed tranny and a 2wd/4wd selector! I love all the cool stuff you can do with these trucks. Its a nice break from nitro RC's.

Thanks again.

Last edited by NCrawler; 03-03-2008 at 07:37 PM.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:16 PM   #8
RCC Addict

i have thowt about doin that aswell in my scale rig 2 wheel drive will turn sharper than when its in 4.. plus it adds a scale fiture to my rig.... wish i could put a air locker in there to lol... get some vids up when you get it done marcus
lowridinjuggalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 01:48 PM   #9
Oppan Gangnam Style

Quote:

If you want to d othat, you will need to leave both diffs unlocked or at least rhe front one. Otherwise it will be like Tanis says. Been there done that, very poor performance. I say give it a shot and see what happens. Who knows, you might have a better setup for that than I have.
chino63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 05:08 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Yeah i may try it out. I was also thinking it might would perform better in 2wd if the front diff wasnt locked. Does anyone know if there's a diff that will fit the axial axles? I know the Axial lockers are supposed to be able to be used in a Wheely King, i wonder if Wheely King diffs will fit a AX10?

Its all in the future anyway, i havent ordered my AX10 yet. I was just thinking it might be cool being that new bolt on dig just came out. Ill definately post up some pics and tell how well it performs if/when i do get it all done.

Thanks
Old 03-06-2008, 07:50 PM   #11
ghetto fabulous newbie

Quote:
Yeah i may try it out. I was also thinking it might would perform better in 2wd if the front diff wasnt locked. Does anyone know if there's a diff that will fit the axial axles? I know the Axial lockers are supposed to be able to be used in a Wheely King, i wonder if Wheely King diffs will fit a AX10?

Its all in the future anyway, i havent ordered my AX10 yet. I was just thinking it might be cool being that new bolt on dig just came out. Ill definately post up some pics and tell how well it performs if/when i do get it all done.

Thanks
I think a while back I read that the Wheely King spider gears are a direct fit.
Anyone want to confirm this???

Also why spend $75 for a dig that you dont even want to use the brake thats on it? you can build a dig with no brake for like $5.

Last edited by yotachump; 03-06-2008 at 07:55 PM.
yotachump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 08:09 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotachump View Post

Also why spend $75 for a dig that you dont even want to use the brake thats on it? you can build a dig with no brake for like $5.
Cool on the gears, hopefully someone will chime in. I agree on the money spent on the dig when i wont even be using it properly. I just like how neat and clean the setup looks. Homemade digs look ghetto most of the time, not ALL the time. I dont know alot about them as ive never been interested in using a dig on my old WK so i never really researched them. Maybe ill look around and see if i can find a dig that looks clean that i might could duplicate.

Anyone with a nice clean looking dig setup on their truck? Id love to see em.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:17 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotachump View Post

im wondering why sold the wk in the first place...seems like a better choice for what he wants to do with it and wayyyy cheaper
wheelspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 08:37 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelspeed View Post
im wondering why sold the wk in the first place...seems like a better choice for what he wants to do with it and wayyyy cheaper
Really? Thanks for your helpful addition to my thread.

I bought the WK befor the AX-10 came out. It was a nice truck for a while but i like the Scorpion better. I like the axles much better as well as pretty much everything else about it.

I plan to get a Scorpion and use the X-trail chassis to build me a nice scaler. That my friend is why the WK got sold.