Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: RTR vs Kit for a new guy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2008, 09:46 AM   #1

Default RTR vs Kit for a new guy

Ok, so here is my dilemma, I am ready to start playing around with RC Crawling after seeing it for last couple years, but not getting involved. I have been 1:1 rockcrawling for 13 years or so, so I have welders, various tools, and some decent knowledge of mechanics / how to fix my rig, etc.

I personally am leaning pretty hard toward the Axial RTR that is coming out in a couple weeks for a couple of reasons but had a few folks say I should get a kit instead. I have read the various FAQs on here about what to buy with a Kit, etc and most of them are pretty high end / Comp build suggestions (afaik...newbie remember)

So Pros / Cons or other suggestions welcomed, here is what I THINK that I know so far:

RTR kit has plastic links (Con - strength), a 27t motor (too fast I think?) and most recently someone mentioned the controller itself I would not like (no reason given)

On the plus side... it is assembled (I think...could be wrong), and for me that is kinda big / free time is an issue.

It is CHEAP(er) than buying a kit and then buying the servos/motors/radio etc to complete it, etc.

It is compatible with all the other Ax-10 stuff...so IF the links break, I can upgrade - alot of KIT guys end up upgrading anyway??

Same thing with the motor for another 30 or something I can have a 2nd motor, one for crawling and still have the 27t for faster fun?

So...compared to a Kit, I get a complete machine...I can upgrade the pieces as needed and for $260ish I have room left over in budget vs a Kit PLUS radio / servos / motor etc to do those upgrades with??

Am I crazy...this sounds like a heck of a good place to start and then I can add/upgrade as things fail or my desires to get more "hard core" change?

I know the local NC club just added a stock class this year..so an entry level rig like RTR would be a good place to join in there anyway??

Ok, thanks in advance for the thoughts on this!! I have been holding onto the cash for last several weeks resisting the urge to go buy a kit and instead wait on the RTR (due anytime on the shelves!!)

Sam
JeepNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2008, 09:49 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

I didn't read any of your post, go with the kit so you know how to work on it, fix it, and upgrade it.
Thorsteenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 10:00 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorsteenster View Post
I didn't read any of your post, go with the kit so you know how to work on it, fix it, and upgrade it.
I'm with him.

You are obviously mechincally inclined, but the best way to do any form of R/C is ALWAYS kit form instead of RTR.

When you build the kit you know your car inside and out, plus most companies throw in slightly inferior pieces to save assembly time on their end so that means you get a slightly better product when you buy a kit.

RTR you are stuck with Axials choice of electronics, kit form you get to choose what YOU want powering your vehicle.

Just buy the kit.
ctruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 10:01 AM   #4

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorsteenster View Post
Cool...thx for taking the time to listen!!

Did you buy your car in parts and assemble just so you knew how to work on it / fix it / and upgrade it? I DO understand what you are saying just wish you would have taken the extra 10 seconds to read my post / I am not terribly worried about not being able to fix my junk when it breaks.

Just busting ya chops a bit!
Old 03-13-2008, 10:43 AM   #5
NIK
Pebble Pounder

i would buy the kit as you get better quailty bits in the kit,you say you dont have much time you will build the kit it will take around 2 hours plus you paint the body how you want it.you will also find you will upgrade the esc etc anyway so why buy it twice
NIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 10:49 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for taking the time to type a bunch of shit nobody will read!
Thorsteenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 11:00 AM   #7
ghetto fabulous newbie

buy the kit.If you buy the RTR you will want to upgrade all the electronics anyway.
yotachump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 11:07 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Honestly it sounds like you have already made up your mind.
I purchased the Axial kit over a Wheely King myself because one: I knew I would have to change many of the stock parts due to them breaking or just being crappie IMO, and second: If you look at the big picture in the end you will have spent as much if not more money and time upgrading a ready to run. Sure you can play around with it for a few days or maybe a few hours before you break something, but is it worth it
Just my .02!
bmuzz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 11:20 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotachump View Post
buy the kit.If you buy the RTR you will want to upgrade all the electronics anyway.
Ok, so the servos and esc, and remember I have done very little RC crawling except with a buddies...what makes them (rtr version) undesireable? Is it plastic internals or (I had that with my stadium truck, had to rebuild a few times)

The ESC...too slow/reaction time or...lousy communications with the controller in your hand, etc?

I am just trying to find out WHY the items themselves are not particularly "good" for a fun car to learn on?

I do understand that for full on competition you have to have the highest quality parts just like the difference between my Land Cruiser on 33" MTRs vs my old Wrangler on 36" TSLs. One is a mild wheeler the other I hit the hardest stuff I could find...

To truly build a comp rig, near as I can tell I would skip the kit and just buy the axles and then go from there?
Old 03-13-2008, 11:21 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I contemplated getting the RTR myself but went to the kit instead. I went to the kit because I like to know my machines inside and out and with this being my entry to crawling and kit building itself, I figured it's an advantage to get the kit because of all the "what ifs" that may break. On a regular racing vehicle I go for the RTR though. I know enough about them to be able to mod what I need to without building it myself.

As far as you personally getting the RTR. If you don't have any other spares for RC such as radio and such, I think that you would be best doing that for the time being. All in all it's your choice and I know you're just asking for opinions but If you can save up the extra few bux needed to get the kit assembled and running, I think you would be happier that way. I got my 55t motor for like 16.49 from RPP just so you know.

Hope this input helps you out and welcome to the crawling side!

-Tim
Tim_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 11:27 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

Ok. Here is my take on it. IF you get the RTR like all other say you are getting cheaper components here and there. I say get the kit. As for electronics. You could get yourself a Traxxas TQ3 radio and reciever off of Ebay from $0.99 all the way up to $30. And is perfect for what you are going to need. Then a strong steering servo. For entry level I would say go with the Hitec 650mg. It goes for about $30. at my local Hobby Shop. Then for a motor and ESC. I just got the Novak Rooster Crawler and Fifty Five Motor (55T) for $108.00. And paint for the body is maybe $10. Depending if you want more than one color. So that is only about $173 over the kit price to have some good electronics and a decent radio. Def. a lot better than what you will get in the RTR. And don't worry about free time to build it. YOu will find it. Like they said. It is about a 2 to 3 hour job. Not too much to put together. Also if you can't find much free time. How can you drive it. But what ever you decide it only matters if you are happy. Oh and if you want a 27T motor I am sure there are people on here that have the stock Tamiya motors that would pretty much give you one. I know if you were local I would just meet you and give it to you. They are a dime a dozen. I hope some of this helped.

Later,
Brandon
bvitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 02:17 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I totally agree with all that has been said - get the kit, get to know your truck - if you're like the rest of us - you will be hooked and having the better pieces & parts will save you time & money in the long run
Yawzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 02:19 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

I agree that the RTR would be a good entry level crawler/toy but if you are even entertaining the idea of competing or upgrading, the kit would be a better bet. When I got mine, I decided to get some good electronics because I knew this is something I would be into for a while and they would last. My vote is spend the extra $ and get the kit, although I do see your perspective.
txrenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 02:36 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

If you buy the RTR, you will be back on here in one week telling us how you should have taken our advice, and bought the Kit. So do your self a favor and buy the KIT.
El Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 02:51 PM   #15
Like a boss...

I'll make the opposite argument for you. I'd say get the RTR only if you are unsure about whether this is something you will stick with and enjoy.

That's really the fundamental difference here...the RTR will give you instant gratification and a "taste" of rock crawling at a affordable entry point. That's perfect for people that aren't sure if this is really what they are going to get involved with.

It's very similar to buying the Ready to Fly airplanes. RTF airplanes will give a taste of flying, they work well and the cost is low.

You're on a site with essentially hard-core enthusiasts with this aspect of the hobby. For this crowd, the kit will always make sense.

If you like it, you didn't spend alot and if you don't, you didn't spend alot.

However I will say if do you think it is something you are going to enjoy and really get into, then the kit is a better value long term. You can upgrade the RTR as you go but you will ultimately spend more when it is all said and done.

Too me, I feel it all depends where you think you are interest level wise....
mann0mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 02:51 PM   #16

I am listening...and seriously thinking about the KIT, I guess I am still trying to figure out the "cost" (besides the knowhow of putting together) that I am missing?

My Local Hobby Shop price:

$240 for the kit (yes I know I can get for $225 shipped but the $15 of goodwill / karma is worth it to me)

$265 for the RTR

if I add $25ish for the links from the KIT, or other aftermarket, that puts me at $290.

So for $50 I have a motor, servo, ESC and controller right?

If I turned around and offered to sell the items below for $50...I am guessing even for cheapie backups these are worth that $50? If I got $50 out of them on ebay/wherever, then for the same $$ I now have a pre-assembled KIT?

PT# AX24004 27t motor,
PT# AX24250 Axial ESC,
Axial Radio: 2 Channel
Servos: 1 Hi-Torque (Standard Size)

Is there some other part that we have not discussed besides the plastic links, that we know is cheap compared to the KIT version?

I know I get the SOLID rear axle so no rear steer...I guess I am just trying to see what I missed?

http://www.axialracing.com/ftp/ax10rtr/
Old 03-13-2008, 03:01 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Get the Kit!!

When some of us Colorado crawler got together to build one for Zach our Daughters and Sons helped and did a good portion of the build! It is an easy build as far as RC kits go... If you are anything like I was when I got started... and still I spend hours on here every week so just disable your computer for a few days and get-er-done!

Here is the Zach Build link.
Live build for Zach begins now!
racerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 03:10 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Doesnt the RTR come with open diffs too? You will have to completly take the axle apart to lock them, thats half the build time of the kit.
tjscrogins99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 03:31 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepNerd View Post
I am listening...and seriously thinking about the KIT, I guess I am still trying to figure out the "cost" (besides the knowhow of putting together) that I am missing?
There are a number of aluminum parts in the kit that are either replaced with plastic parts, or simply eliminated. So the RTR will be basically the same as the kit, but just not as strong / stiff.

As mentioned by others, the real question is are you just trying to save the build time or is this a try-it-out thing? If it's the latter, then definitely go for the RTR. But if you know you'll keep it and upgrade bit by bit, you'll spend a lot less time, money, and frustration building the kit with good parts to begin with rather than replacing parts one at a time.

BTW - a friend of mine lives in Kernersville - small world!
lmiwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 03:32 PM   #20

Here is a question, will the parts for the RTR bolt up to the x-trail chassis? I would like to make a scaler just to play around with, nothing crazy, and it would be nice to get this RTR and just buy the chassis.
ReklessOffRoad is offline   Reply With Quote