Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Do the Dew build thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2008, 11:38 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Talking Do the Dew build thread

So after much debate and thought I finally came to the decision to buy a kit over RTR. I'm horrible at building kits but just couldn't pass up the chance to build this bad boy. Quick history of me I've never owned a crawler and know nothing of them so this is an all around adventure for me. Got off work tonight and ran down to my local shop and took home a freshly stocked kit.

this will probably take me a week or so to build so I'm doing a section at a time. Lastly for those that just love the green so much it's gonna stay on this bad boy as my rig's are Mt. Dew themed, so it falls right into place for me. thanks for lookin.

I'm gonna try and take a pic with each section to show my progress.

Starting from scratch

1 1/2 hours later I've got axle's!!!!!
DanTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2008, 11:43 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Building is always fun. What else you putting in it?
O.C.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 01:03 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc J33P View Post
Building is always fun. What else you putting in it?
For the most part it will remain stock. I'm still deciding on what ESC and motor to go with as I am on a budget, but am starting to lean towards the Rooster with a 55t. My radio is a Airtronics MX-3 and its gonna have a HiTec 5925MG for steering. the servo is my back up servo for my T4 and I dont wanna run it so I'm looking for a 645MG but the 5925 will do for now. Batteries will just be race packs re worked into axle mount batteries.

im sure over time I'll change things but rollin stock for now until I decide something needs changed. thanks for looking.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:06 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

For about the same price, Integy makes a metal geared 190oz servo. I've got one in the crawler, and one in the nitro MT. 2 yrs in the MT.
It's a little stronger and a little faster than the 645.

http://www.integy.com/cgi-bin/webc.c...d=3841&p_catid=
BigRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 10:17 AM   #5

Quote:
Rooster with a 55t
I use a Rooster w/an Novak 55T...love it..fitment is excellent. Keep posting pics..
Rockhabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 10:31 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Sidewinder and 55t. Cheaper than the Novak, more flexible, and better customer service. Plus, you can buy it from our vendors.
Mortimer Snerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 12:49 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Keep us posted on this build, I'm intereseted to see how it turns out for ya

I'm running an Integy 55t lathe motor with a 12t pinion and have no problems with it what so ever. I've been running an average of 2 - 3 hours 10 days out of the past 14 days and the brushes are still nice and fresh. I got it from RPP for like 16 and some change (not counting shipping). But I ordered a few other things at the time too so it was a good deal to me.

-Tim
Tim_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 07:03 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_B View Post
Keep us posted on this build, I'm intereseted to see how it turns out for ya

I'm running an Integy 55t lathe motor with a 12t pinion and have no problems with it what so ever. I've been running an average of 2 - 3 hours 10 days out of the past 14 days and the brushes are still nice and fresh. I got it from RPP for like 16 and some change (not counting shipping). But I ordered a few other things at the time too so it was a good deal to me.

-Tim
Thanks for that info man. makes me feel good about my starting motor choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRocks View Post
For about the same price, Integy makes a metal geared 190oz servo. I've got one in the crawler, and one in the nitro MT. 2 yrs in the MT.
It's a little stronger and a little faster than the 645.

http://www.integy.com/cgi-bin/webc.c...d=3841&p_catid=

thanks for the heads up! Ill check out that servo and see if I like it. i am a bit biased towards HiTec servos as they are all I've ever really run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimer Snerd View Post
Sidewinder and 55t. Cheaper than the Novak, more flexible, and better customer service. Plus, you can buy it from our vendors.
I'm so very torn here on this one. I like the sidewinder with its ability to run brushed and brushless motors.....Good thing Ive got time yet before I really NEED an ESC and I can then make up my mind.

more pics coming later tonight as I go off to build more! =)
Old 04-03-2008, 10:35 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

ok great progress made tonight. I could ahve gone further but my freaking boss changed my start time for work tomorrow so I gotta cal it for the night.

Axles with some links done

Holy Moly i almost forgot how to build shocks!!!

Oh the joys of the transmission. Had a few hang ups here but not bad overall.

And this is the point at which I stopped. this part of the build was very confusing to start as again I have no previous experience with crawlers so trial and error on placement of screws and the like.

Overall for a guy that has neverdone this before the instructions are easy to understand. biggest thing I've found so far is to not get rushed and hurry things. I'm gonna have to decide on a ESC very soon as the build is going faster than I thought it would go. thanks all for the views and comment's its greatly appreciated. Cya tomorrow night I'm sure. =)
Old 04-04-2008, 07:33 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

The ax-10 was my very first ever and my first step into the crawling world. Looking good soo far, My fav part of actual building my kit was just doing the transmission. For some reason it was fun..lol. Kinda like it was a successful heart surgery on my beast or something..lol.

Other than that, the best part is driving after putting it all together..Very fulfilling.

Keep us posted! I can't wait to see the Dew theme done with the truck aswell.

-Tim
Old 04-04-2008, 08:33 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

Looking good Dan - thanks for the play by play!
OldShovelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 05:22 PM   #12

Lookin good man, take your time, especially if you're using the rock lozard tires and haven't cut the foams. those tires are stiff as hell... my suggestion, some hammers, or losi rock claws.
CrawlKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 10:56 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

no progress tonight as my mother in law was involved in an accident involving her ATV on the ranch, so we got home late on I'm gonna go on a ride along with my brother in law tonight who's a local cop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_B View Post
The ax-10 was my very first ever and my first step into the crawling world. Looking good soo far, My fav part of actual building my kit was just doing the transmission. For some reason it was fun..lol. Kinda like it was a successful heart surgery on my beast or something..lol.

Other than that, the best part is driving after putting it all together..Very fulfilling.

Keep us posted! I can't wait to see the Dew theme done with the truck aswell.

-Tim
yeah I'm looking forward to getting it finished. The paint job on the crawler wont be near as good as what's on my T4 but thats by design. Don't want to pay 40 bucks on a shell thats going to get messed up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShovelhead View Post
Looking good Dan - thanks for the play by play!

Its my first picture based build thread and it's been great so far! thanks for all the support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawlKing View Post
Lookin good man, take your time, especially if you're using the rock lozard tires and haven't cut the foams. those tires are stiff as hell... my suggestion, some hammers, or losi rock claws.
Yeah I'll start off with the stock tires but am starting to lean towards the Rock claws, time will tell what I really need.

thanks to all who have looked at my build and for all the comments.

Oh and heres a pic of the T4 its going to be partnered with.
Old 04-05-2008, 11:56 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Good progress and frustrations as well. Last night's ride along was par for the course. nothing much happened, 2 almost DUI's but just not enough to book them. =P

After very little sleep I was awake and ready to hit it again. I'm still very impressed over all how easy this thing is to build and I'm getting oh so close to being done. Went to my LHS yesterday after work to buy a ESC and speedo and they are out of stock until tuesday at the earliest so no running this weekend for me. =(

so a few hang ups probably due to me being over tired. remember guys these have threads that go different directions!!! Boy my hands hurt....

Also pay attention to what way your placing things on the truck, I put both on upside down or backwards which ever you prefer.

lastly heres where I sit until later when I'm back home to work on it more.
Old 04-05-2008, 04:13 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Ahh that brings back memories of what my AX10 looked like it was brand new, ... you know, before the modifications began.
stampedeproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 08:00 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Any new updates for us?
Old 04-08-2008, 08:11 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Yeah i'm still waiting for my LHS to get my ESC and motor in stock, should be in tommorow by the time I'm off work. Once that drops Ill be back in business. thanks for checkin in look for pics and an update hopefully tomorrow.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:23 PM   #18

Gonna run the stock body?? Or something different?? My AX-10 is my first crawler and was my first kit.

It didn't take me long to ditch the Betty body and go with a bug shell!!
Rather-B-Huntin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 03:22 AM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rather-B-Huntin View Post
Gonna run the stock body?? Or something different?? My AX-10 is my first crawler and was my first kit.

It didn't take me long to ditch the Betty body and go with a bug shell!!
For now just run the betty body. I dont mind the overall look of it and its gonna get beat up so why not use it to start.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:11 AM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Oh the horaa!! things went very well tonight. I'm now at the point where I require paint! LHS had the ESC and motor in stock today so after a nice 13 hour work day i went and picked it up. After dinner with the parents came home put the wife and kid to sleep and got to work....

Servo installs fairly nicely.

Bout an hour later we have this!

I'm very pleased over all with everything.

And best of all I loved seeing this.

Batteries are going to be mounted on the front axle's so COG should remain the same. Just waiting on the TCS battery holders to hit the house. I do think I'll adjust the shocks a bit to lower my ride height as it does seem a bit high right now but, I'm sure that will come after I've had a chance to run the truck and see how it does over all. I also will be waiting on graphics for the inside of the Betty body as I don't want to pay our local paint guy 40 bucks to do me up a body that is most likely gonna see some damage, so its graphics for the inside and rattle can paint over top of them. Thanks to all who have commented on my stock build, I'm sure allot of you have seen tons of these, but it has been nice for me to actually document my build and see my own progress with some encouragement to boot! Next post shoujld contain a mounted and painted body.