Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: BTA steering I had to give it a try

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2008, 08:58 PM   #1

Default BTA steering I had to give it a try

Threw this together this afternoon, even more steering travel after I shaved down my aluminum knuckles. Doesn’t flex at all except for the servo horn which I also have in aluminum. Did it the easy way (I think). Batteries removed for clarity but they clear just fine. Save the comments about the tires on backwards LOL!

BT@VF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2008, 09:14 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

man i like that a lot that is a good idea and design.
caddyshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 09:25 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

real nice....how did u bend the links without kinking them?
saul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 09:34 PM   #4
RCC Addict

HA HA I was looking at that and was like man wut chassis is that it's killer...... I was thinking man it looks alot like the slingshot then looked who posted and was like DUH lol! Once again nice chassis and I can't wait to get my aluminum knuckles so I can put stand offs on them and not worry about breaking them with my 333oz servo. I have now broke 5 stock knuckles in stock location/mount. Oh man I can't wait to order my chassis, dig, and the rest of my goodies to finally start building my comp rig.
PipeDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 10:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by saul View Post
real nice....how did u bend the links without kinking them?
Acetylene torch, real carefully.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PipeDreams View Post
HA HA I was looking at that and was like man wut chassis is that it's killer...... I was thinking man it looks alot like the slingshot then looked who posted and was like DUH lol! Once again nice chassis and I can't wait to get my aluminum knuckles so I can put stand offs on them and not worry about breaking them with my 333oz servo. I have now broke 5 stock knuckles in stock location/mount. Oh man I can't wait to order my chassis, dig, and the rest of my goodies to finally start building my comp rig.

Everyone that has driven my prototype slingshot has really liked it so far (I'm a proud papa) It makes things look really easy. They should be ready to ship tomorrow or the following day. Thanks for the comments, I know theres a critic out there somewhere....hit me.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:35 PM   #7

Was the gain in steering travel after you shaved down the aluminum knuckles or installed the bent rods?
Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 12:20 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT@VF View Post
Everyone that has driven my prototype slingshot has really liked it so far (I'm a proud papa) It makes things look really easy. They should be ready to ship tomorrow or the following day. Thanks for the comments, I know theres a critic out there somewhere....hit me.
OK heres a couple:

You just raised your center of gravity a little bit.

If you roll and hit that servo arm on a rock it will bend or break even if it is aluminium.

Looks a little funny.

Never had much of a problem with the steering up front, I just space it up a little.

Did I say it looks a little funny?

If you have time to build that you have time to send me my digs

How does that sound? Did I do good?

The best thing about crawlers is trying something new. It used to be everything we did was a trial/error thing, now you can buy almost anything.
ZUKMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 01:10 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Alright this may be a stupid question but what is the benifet? i see you have alot less to get caught on in the front that way and possibly a small amount more of turning radius. anyone please correct me if im wrong
TeamDeweyRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 07:17 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Default pigeon toed

are you sure you have retained proper steering geometry...?
the servo swings through a vertical arc..thus changing the toe as it rises and falls losing or nullifying the ackerman effect...that would work if servo was mounted vertically...servo swings thru horizontal plane..
also you better have a really good servo..good hit on wheel would want to "toggle"the other side...(like a vise grip clicking)
back to the drawing board huh
have you done search...looked at some of my BTAs n OTA set ups..they work
good luck!!
gadge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 09:21 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadge View Post
are you sure you have retained proper steering geometry...?
the servo swings through a vertical arc..thus changing the toe as it rises and falls losing or nullifying the ackerman effect...that would work if servo was mounted vertically...servo swings thru horizontal plane..
also you better have a really good servo..good hit on wheel would want to "toggle"the other side...(like a vise grip clicking)
back to the drawing board huh
have you done search...looked at some of my BTAs n OTA set ups..they work
good luck!!
I know the geometry is off, but is hardly noticeable even with the servo arm at a 45 (full steer). The idea was to work around my current upper link mount and saddle packs until our new upper link mounts are done so I can run the upper links parrallel then I could flip the servo horn over and do the links again. There are a few rocks at our local spot that kept grabbing the steering link and it was driving me mad so I decided to do a qick fix. Yes the servo is very strong and the horn fits under the body. You really cant even see the system with the battery packs and body on. Thanks for the comments.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:07 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

I think it's a great idea. run it until you break it (I doubt it will happen) or come up with something new!!!
Trimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 11:43 AM   #13

With the packs and body on.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:49 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Wow, really looks like a great idea. Looks good, looks like it will work good and gives it a nice clean look in the front
JBHardwear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 12:30 PM   #15

Quote:
The idea was to work around my current upper link mount and saddle packs until our new upper link mounts are done so I can run the upper links parrallel then I could flip the servo horn over and do the links again.
So does that mean the Slingshot is working better with parallel uppers instead of the curved & triangulated uppers you have installed?
anti42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 02:17 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by anti42 View Post
So does that mean the Slingshot is working better with parallel uppers instead of the curved & triangulated uppers you have installed?
Nah I was just going to run it that way (parallel uppers) so I could have my servo horn facing down in between the links for the BTA steering instead of the way it is now. I will be trying the parallel uppers setup soon, I'll let you know how it works out.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:25 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Yes I'd like to know that too! Also how much does a front tire/rim weigh? That's quite the buldge? Foam and wut kind? Let's hear all the little secrets lol!
Old 04-09-2008, 02:36 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by PipeDreams View Post
Yes I'd like to know that too! Also how much does a front tire/rim weigh? That's quite the buldge? Foam and wut kind? Let's hear all the little secrets lol!
Wheels weigh 4oz each, I do not currently run weights anywhere. Right now I have memory foam installed, that combined with the narrow 1in wide wheels accounts for the "buldge".
Old 04-09-2008, 02:43 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Nice I like it. WHat foams? There's a million memory foams... which do you prefer?
Old 04-09-2008, 02:51 PM   #20

Quote:
Nah I was just going to run it that way (parallel uppers) so I could have my servo horn facing down in between the links for the BTA steering instead of the way it is now. I will be trying the parallel uppers setup soon, I'll let you know how it works out.
Ok, I see. Sounds like fun doing all these changes to find out what works for you! From the drawings in the other thread about the new upper link/servo mount they look deeper (or is it longer? ). Will you cut a slot in it for the servo arm to stick down through?

Also, have you guys been working on a front servo/lipo battery plate yet for this chassis?
anti42 is offline   Reply With Quote