Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: battery placement and options

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2008, 01:35 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default battery placement and options

hi guys. i am going with lipo on my axial and want to use the longest lasting battery that will be compatible w/ my edge chassis. does anyone have advice or pics of which lipo battery would give me the longest run time with still being compatible, and ideas on the best way to mount it on my rig? thanks!
jedsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2008, 01:58 AM   #2
Like a boss...

Axial makes an offset servo mount that will allow you to move your servo off to one side and place a battery pack next to it.

I can fit a Thunder Power 1320 Mah 2 or 3 cell Lipo there with no issues.

Based on those dimensions, the 2000 MAh from them should fit as well. Common Sense RC makes a 2000 Mah that should fit too.

Also what many guys will do is make a tray out of lexan or styrene and place them on the upper links. You can use and get a little bigger battery in those situations too.

I suggest you poke around on some different build threads with pics and you'll find an idea that suites you.

-Mike
mann0mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 08:41 AM   #3
RCC Addict

If you go to this link: http://www.maxamps.com/categories.php?cat=13 then Click on the Axial logo to take you to the complete list of packs that I have work directly with Axial on to get as many different options available to fit all the different battery monuting options that are available. We ahve the only Li-Po saddle pack that will fit on the TCS front plates. We have several packs that will fit on the Axial Optional servo/battery tray. And another solution is a tray monuted to the upper links on the front. Depending on what motor system and esc you have will be a deciding factor also can you run 2S packs only or can you step up to a 3S pack? For runtime a 1720 2S will take you 30 to 40 minutes an 1100 will take yo 25 to 30 minutes and 860 saddle will take you 25 minutes and a 1550 will put you around an hour and the 2000 will go way over that. If you have a 2S set up our 3300 will well you know a lot of run time. All the packs have the measuremants list under "more Info" so you can see for sure what will fit before you order. If you have any questions just ask.

Jason
JAM MaxAmps.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 05:28 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Jason

Of the two saddle packs you carry. I noticed one is 7.2 and the other is 11.1 volts. What kind of runtime can I expect out of these packs?Which do you recommend?

Thanks
BMAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 11:50 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMAC View Post
Jason

Of the two saddle packs you carry. I noticed one is 7.2 and the other is 11.1 volts. What kind of runtime can I expect out of these packs?Which do you recommend?

Thanks
if you are comparing both 860 packs, they should both have the same run-time, its just that the 11.1v will have more punch than the 7.2v
the higher the mah number, the longer the run time.

Last edited by jedsled; 04-19-2008 at 11:53 PM.
Old 04-19-2008, 11:52 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM MaxAmps.com View Post
If you go to this link: http://www.maxamps.com/categories.php?cat=13 then Click on the Axial logo to take you to the complete list of packs that I have work directly with Axial on to get as many different options available to fit all the different battery monuting options that are available. We ahve the only Li-Po saddle pack that will fit on the TCS front plates. We have several packs that will fit on the Axial Optional servo/battery tray. And another solution is a tray monuted to the upper links on the front. Depending on what motor system and esc you have will be a deciding factor also can you run 2S packs only or can you step up to a 3S pack? For runtime a 1720 2S will take you 30 to 40 minutes an 1100 will take yo 25 to 30 minutes and 860 saddle will take you 25 minutes and a 1550 will put you around an hour and the 2000 will go way over that. If you have a 2S set up our 3300 will well you know a lot of run time. All the packs have the measuremants list under "more Info" so you can see for sure what will fit before you order. If you have any questions just ask.

Jason
thanks jason, i guess i didnt see that brand-specific feature on your site. i will def be gettin ahold of ya when i figure out the dimensions of the mounts available to use. thanks for the info!
Old 04-20-2008, 07:19 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedsled View Post
if you are comparing both 860 packs, they should both have the same run-time, its just that the 11.1v will have more punch than the 7.2v
So what would be better more or less punch? And will the 11.1 v be too much volatage for a spectrum receiver?
BMAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 09:16 AM   #8
RCC Addict

I can 25 to 30 minutes with the 860 saddle pack. As Jon Homles says volt up gear down. And the battery pack voltage won't hurt the receiver. You just need to see if your esc is li-po ready and how many cells it can handle The Novaks will do 2S while the Mamba's and Sidewinfder can do 3S max.

Jason
Old 04-20-2008, 09:57 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I can 25 to 30 minutes with the 860 saddle pack. As Jon Homles says volt up gear down. And the battery pack voltage won't hurt the receiver. You just need to see if your esc is li-po ready and how many cells it can handle The Novaks will do 2S while the Mamba's and Sidewinfder can do 3S max.

Jason
it looks like i'm stuck w/ the 2s because of the novaks
Old 04-20-2008, 10:18 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
The Novaks will do 2S while the Mamba's and Sidewinfder can do 3S max.

Jason

If you want to keep the warranty.

I've seen Mambas on 4S with 4000ishkv motors in 8th scale buggys .
Youtube it. One guys reads the temps of everything, surprising.
BigRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 07:59 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

I am running a 6 cell 4500mH pack over the front axle. (3 cells over the servo and 1 on each side of it) Looks kind of like a bracket. That pack runs for a long time. I am not sure of the actual run time, but I can play around for about 4 hours before I need a charging. By them I am ready to go home.
ForumSn0w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 11:25 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForumSn0w View Post
I am running a 6 cell 4500mH pack over the front axle. (3 cells over the servo and 1 on each side of it) Looks kind of like a bracket. That pack runs for a long time. I am not sure of the actual run time, but I can play around for about 4 hours before I need a charging. By them I am ready to go home.
do you have pics? what are you using to secure the battery?
Old 04-23-2008, 12:56 PM   #13

Quote:
Every time you up the voltage, you will lose a little runtime.
newfrontier45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 03:18 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

Quote:
do you have pics? what are you using to secure the battery?
Hopefully that shows up, but I secure the battery on top of the servo with zipties. This is my old setup with the coilover springs and the old servo, and I have the LOSI Rock Claws now.

ForumSn0w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 06:21 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Go with the three cell, you will crawl forever. Also they now have a split pack lipo fo rbuggies that would work great!
crawlbe4youwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 07:31 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlbe4youwalk View Post
Go with the three cell, you will crawl forever. Also they now have a split pack lipo fo rbuggies that would work great!

If your talking about our saddle packs for the B44 buggies these are to big for a 2.2 cralwer and they are only 7.4 volt packs.

Jason
Old 04-25-2008, 05:01 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
If your talking about our saddle packs for the B44 buggies these are to big for a 2.2 cralwer and they are only 7.4 volt packs.

Jason
jason, will maxamps be comin out with a campatible lipo saddle pack for the ax-10?
Old 04-25-2008, 07:06 PM   #18
RCC Addict

We already have a compatible saddle pack for the front axle of the AX-10 it's an 860 mAH saddle in both 7.4 and 11.1 volts. It will get you around 25 to 30 minutes of runtime with a 55T lathe motor. You need the TCS front battery plates to use them. These are the biggest Li-Po's that will fit between the front center mounted servo tray.

Jason
Old 04-25-2008, 10:02 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

would anyone know if a novak crawler esc can be ran with a 9.6V with a 8 cell pack SAFELY ??? I don't want to hurt the esc, 10v seems too high to me.
toytech93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 07:12 PM   #20

yea 8 cells is to much i run a 7 cell in mine got the tcs mounting plates and mounted them on the front axal
rockcrawler2642 is offline   Reply With Quote