Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Any help with gearing???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2008, 11:47 AM   #1

Default Any help with gearing???

Im running a 14t and a 87t and not happy with the performance. Too much speed in my opinion. Looking for smoother lower torque. I just cant seem to get the smooth slow crawl out of it. Does anyone have a better gear ratio to be running? Or could alot of this be with the stock radio system I am running with the RTR kit? Obviously aftermarket high end ones would be better, but is the radio alot of the problem or even any of it?

Thanks!
Venomos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2008, 11:58 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

I am having the same issue. I have come to the conclusion that a radio with throttle expo would help because you could add a decent amount of negative exponental and make 75% of your pull on the transmitter account for only 20% throttle to the motor. Seems like it would be smoother. 14t is still pretty high on the pinion, going down to a 12tooth would help also
scott1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 11:58 AM   #3
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

RTR motor? What battery? You can't gear down much, but you could get a 35 - 55t motor. A nicer ESC may also be what you are looking for.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 12:25 PM   #4

Its the RTR kit stock motor and esc at the present time. Presently I am running a cheap 7.2 1500 battery that is TOP HEAVY...LOL! Going to order the axle saddle pack tonight since no one local has one. Keeps flipping over and over. But I plan on big things for this critter, but only have the stock stuff really to play with this weekend and trying to have a little bit of fun with what I have. But don't want to waste money on unecessary stuff which is why I have all the questions.
Old 04-19-2008, 12:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
RTR motor? What battery? You can't gear down much, but you could get a 35 - 55t motor. A nicer ESC may also be what you are looking for.

What do you recommend for Motor and ESC? I was going to change them out eventually but if that is whats screwing me up then thats what I need to do now then.
(Wife is going to kill me. Just bought this Scorpion and a new 16.8 Emaxx and ordered the 6000mah dual lipo kit with charger, so she was a little bent)
But what could you do for me for a nice kit that I wont have to swap out later down the road? I need to get a different stronger servo too cuz I have no control over the wheels when pinched in a tight spot.
Old 04-19-2008, 12:29 PM   #6
Keep it real

Like JRH said, swapping out your motor and ESC will give you the smooth low end you are looking for. Mamba Max, Sidewinder or Tekin FXR are the best you will find.
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 12:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanis View Post
Like JRH said, swapping out your motor and ESC will give you the smooth low end you are looking for. Mamba Max, Sidewinder or Tekin FXR are the best you will find.
Much appreciated! Thank you!!!!
Old 04-19-2008, 02:52 PM   #8
WVB
Quarry Creeper

As what was recommended to me, 35t motor and castle sidewinder. But since Tekin came out with the FXR I would say that. I have a G11 that still works like it did the day it came out of its $150 box 10 years ago..!
WVB is offline   Reply With Quote