Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: My work in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2008, 02:52 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default My work in progress.

Figured I would start a thread about my first rccrawler. It's kinda taken me a while to decide on parts, mainly electronics, but with the help of a couple of the folks on here I finally got this thing up and running. As of right now it has an Integy 45t motor, Sidewinder esc, CCBEC, TCS 8cell split packs on the front axle, boomerang and servo plate for the 4link setup, driveshaft rings, several ounces of the stick on weights, Losi Claws, and a 645mg servo. I'm running kinda a semi droop setup, and so far I think it works great. Starting out it had some bad torque twist but I swapped my internal springs around a little here and there and got rid of pretty much all of it.

I never woulda really thought I would enjoy this thing so much, so now I'm already making plans on what all to change around on it, getting my lower links inside the chassis, adding dig and several other different ways of making it better, and I also wanna build another one with an edge chassis a little later on. For now though it has surprised me at what all it will do, and I'm constantly trying to find bigger rocks to mess up the body on. I know the front bumper/winch wont last too long. If you look closely you can see on the passenger side bottom corner of the grill where I've already broken a piece out.

Lemme know what you think.

Last edited by MCSCOTT; 04-21-2008 at 02:55 PM.
MCSCOTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2008, 04:24 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Nice build - great body & paint job !! I usually reserve that statement for the ladies.
Yawzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 06:17 PM   #3

Did you use longer bdy posts to get that body to fit?
kschaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 07:47 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

...told ya' I wasn't the only one that liked the paint!

NinJato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 08:56 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kschaper View Post
Did you use longer bdy posts to get that body to fit?

If I would have left the body posts where they were originally it would have been fine I think without being longer because it would have pulled the bottom of the body in some. However, I moved them up on the chassis some, and used some spacers to make them longer. I've drug them over alot of stuff now and haven't had any trouble yet, but this isn't really a comp rig by any means, so I wasn't too worried anyway. Once I trash this body I'm gonna get another one and bend the bottom in under the door and move the posts back down, and I think it might be ok like that. Like I say though, it's a work in progress, because I can already see some changes I want to make here and there even though it goes better than I ever thought it would. I'm a Jeep guy, so it was only naturaly that I had to use this body for it though.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:01 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinJato View Post
...told ya' I wasn't the only one that liked the paint!

Yup, and thanks to those that like it. It's kinda a different look, and with the way I went with the black the areas that the tires end up rubbing the paint off a little should be easier to touch up every now and then than what the green would be. So far it's held up great though, but I already see a few things I would like to have done differently on it, so most likely it'll get a new body swapped on after a few months of abuse.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:22 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

I like how you did the the flames. Did you trace them yourself? Also could you tell me what Green that is?
MaxxPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 09:31 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxxPain View Post
I like how you did the the flames. Did you trace them yourself? Also could you tell me what Green that is?

The flames were actually a mask I picked up of several different ones, only I kinda used them differently than they were intended. I used the outside part and shot the green first, backed that with silver to kinda seal the color a little, and then sprayed the black. The green is the Faskolor keylime green metallic that alot of folks have used on the Scorpion to match the green anodized parts, and I think it turned out to match perfectly. I actually spent alot more time on masking that what I normally would have, and didn't have a clue what it would end up looking like when I got it done.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:52 PM   #9

lookin good MC.
Rastus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 06:35 AM   #10

Thanks fr the info. I have the same body and I like how you "flat fendered" it.
kschaper is offline   Reply With Quote