Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Trying something a bit different

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2008, 11:07 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Trying something a bit different

...with the suspension. I'm running my factory shocks in a 3/4 droop with internal springs & full travel in the front, but in the rear, I set it at about 3/4 droop, and then limited it to only about 3/16" of travel. My thought is to take all of the torque steer out of it on climbs. I got the idea from reading about torsion setups on clods.

Anybody try this before?

As long as it doesn't rain, I should be able to give it a test run in the morning, and see if it helps or not. If it doesn't work, it should take less time to go back to my old setup than it'll take to charge the battery, so I'm not out anything but a little time.

Until then, thoughts & comments are welcome.
EvilTwin v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2008, 12:20 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default no suspension in the rear?

what type of rear susp u runnin? 3-link/4-link/ double tri/ sgl tri /lower tri up parallel
with the proper set up u can have both!!!
it is doable!!!!
got pics?
gadge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 06:39 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadge View Post
what type of rear susp u runnin? 3-link/4-link/ double tri/ sgl tri /lower tri up parallel
with the proper set up u can have both!!!
it is doable!!!!
got pics?
I don't have pics yet. I want to give this a test run first.

I currently have homemade 4 link plates front & rear, and I cut the skid to inboard the lowers. Other than that, front suspension is factory. I am using bent lowers and I cut down the straight lowers to use as longer uppers, and mounted to a new mounting point.

I have the Stage 3 skid plate on order, so it will have better lower triangulation in a day or two.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:33 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Only 3/16"? Is that becuase Stone Cold said so?

Thats gonna look funny runnin around with only the front articulating. I think that would hurt more than help.
Who knows though?
At least your experimenting

I'm sure you will, but update with findings
BigRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 12:35 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I only got about 5 minutes in before I lost a set-screw on my front drive shaft. I didn't get to sidehill or get to anyplace where it used to fully articulate, but on the entry to the course, there's a very steep 2' climb in which I usually carry the right front tire and occaisionally flip backward or lose traction. This time, it climbed it easily with all 4 wheels on the ground. On the stepped downhill to to a tight off-camber 5" climb, it handled it as easily as ever. There was significant body lean, but at no point did it seem unstable.

I was very happy with the improved climbing ability. I just hope that it doesn't hamper the off-camber performance.

I need to get the front shaft fixed & I'll report more later.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:37 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

btw, with 1:1's I'm a big fan of the feel of a leaf spring rear w/ coil front which gives considerably more articulation in the front than the rear. I realize not all 1:1 concepts translate so well, but I figured it was worth a try.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:47 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Having 1:1 exp is hepful I reckon.

Sounds good so far
BigRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 05:38 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Well, I got about 45 minutes of test time in today.

I've been trying to find anyplace in which I lack stability due to lack of articulation in the rear. I have yet to find any place in which I'm don't have the same if not better driveability. On steep climbs, I no longer have any negative torque affects. I can climb hills that are considerably steeper than anything I'd before have considered, while keeping both front tires firmly planted.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to run it vs any of my friends to see how it compares. I'm really liking this setup so far, though.
Old 04-26-2008, 07:42 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Ran it for a while with a buddy and his somewhat stock suspension AX10. He has Moabs (I'm running cut Lizards) w/ 7oz in each front & 3oz in each rear, and he has the batteries on the axles, but still stock suspension geometry. While I was lacking in tire, mine seemed considerably more stable on climbs, and far less likely to flip over backward. At no point did I notice any off-camber sections that I couldn't handle that he could.

Unfortunately, i don't have any friends with a more comp oriented setup to compare it to.