Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Newb needs some help and advice on what to do about his RTR AX10 please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2008, 10:24 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Newb needs some help and advice on what to do about his RTR AX10 please.

Hey,

I just bought an AX10 Scorpion, RTR, and I gotta say that I'm a little bit dissappointed. For one, the 14t pinion that the instructions say it was supposed to come with, is missing, for two, the links on the ends of the diff. (plastic) bent in the first 1/2 hour testing it out on the carpet in the house.

I quickly realized that other than the $300 I spent on this "RTR" crawler, I am going to have to spend a significant amount above and beyond just to crawl over shoe boxes in the living room without bending parts.

Here is what I think I need immediately:

End suspension links/tubes for front and rear axles, metal of course, and also steering link bar, metal too. I am going to get a 12t pinion asap as well. Battery box over the front axle is high up there as well.

I found this thing is way too fast as is with the 20t pinion. I need to crawl, not sprint.

Also, am I risking burning up the motor by using it to hold position/brake while crawling?

Another thing, what does 27T refer to on the motor? Turns? What does more or less turns do for you?

If I get a brushless motor with a drag brake am I going to need to replace certain electronics?

One last thing, why are some of the links in pictures bent? It looks like this would expose the universal joint at the diff to damaging rocks/whatnot?

Any advice or input appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited by Master Basher; 05-11-2008 at 10:52 PM.
Master Basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2008, 11:03 PM   #2
support@rc4wd.com

How much are you looking to spend? For starters.
roborg5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 11:29 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by roborg5000 View Post
How much are you looking to spend? For starters.
Budget is not a concern. I've dropped $3000 in the last month on an Aftershock, LST2, Muggy (Losi), 8ight-T Truggy, and spare parts, and I will eventually have this rock crawler running right, and how I like it, I just have a ton to learn and however much time I can find to work on it before that happens. This is my first electric.

Don't go suggesting some $500 motor/electronics combo though. I'd like to think I have some sort of moderation to my spending.

Thanks.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:09 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

First off, the kit is what you should have went for, especially since you are use to modifying. Since it is to late for that, I suggest you get the 30* bent links for the Axial, Look into the Novak rooster crawler combo for around 100 bucks, upgrade your steering servo, get either the saddle packs and batt plates from tcs or go lipo, get the 12-14 tooth pinion. Well that will be a good start.
JBHardwear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 01:15 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

thanks JB. I didn't get the kit because I don't know enough about rc to build it outright. I have only two other trucks right now, 2 in the mail, and I really don't know about am vs. fm vs. 2.4ghz controllers and such. I'm going to be learning fast but I'm not there yet.

I'll look into what you said.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:23 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

most would say that the 27 turn is too fast, I for one agree with them, the most common motor is a 55 turn this is what I run, basicly the less turns the faster the motor, the more turns equal a slower motor with more power. I would also recomend the tekin fx-r speed control, its a little expensive(115$) but you can get an integy 55 turn lathefor only 20$ to go with it, heres the review on the fx-r Kaetwo's Tekin FX-R Review...

as far as the links and other aluminum parts go try tcs http://www.tcscrawlers.com/
they also have a number of options for getting your battery weight low.

as far as brushless goes, you would have to replace your esc and motor, but from what I've heard your going to want to replace the P.O.S. esc anyway, so look into it, I would HIGHLY recomend gong to the electronics section of the forums to do some research on the matter before making any choices. the cost can be roughly the same or alot more than brushed. personally I prefer brushed, it tends to be a bit smoother unless you get high end brushless

I would recomend a good servo too, this is one area that you don't want to skimp on, I run a hitec 5955tg(110$), yeah its expensive, but I never have to wory about my steering power or stripping a servo gear. trust me servo's matter!

the bent links are for increased clearance, yes it exposes your driveshaft, but not enough to really hurt it, the gains are worth the risk.
screaminsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 01:28 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Basher View Post
I really don't know about am vs. fm vs. 2.4ghz controllers and such
if your buying a new radio, I would recomend getting something with endpoint or traval adjustments. I changed radios recently to one of these and it accually increased my run time due to not constantly stalling out my servo

I would also look into one that you could use for you other vehicles too

Last edited by screaminsavage; 05-12-2008 at 01:29 AM. Reason: cause I'm a dumbass who can't spell
screaminsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 01:42 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

thanks screamin. That answers some of my questions well. The turns of a motor especially. I am one who thinks a 27T is way too fast. Now I have somewhat of an idea of what to look for.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:20 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Being in the same boat as you, here is what I have come up with so far:

1. get a different motor. I got a 65turn integy motor ($20.00)
2. Make a plate, or buy something that mouints the battery on the axle, then get a split pack for the axle, or go lipo
3. If you go lipo, you have to get a different ESC (these get a bit pricey)
4. for the links, you can run the bent ones, or the strainght ones. Either way, they are a ton strongert that the stock plastic
5. Some new shocks. The stock ones are toooo long an tooo stiff. I am going to run some Traxxas big bores
6. GET A NEW SERVO!!!! I ran through 2 of the stockers in 20 minutes. It really does not matter which servo you get, as long as the gears are METAL!!!!

Remember, this is a learning process. EAch one is totally different from the next person. Get parts, and learn how they go together. Go to your local hobby shop, and see what they have. When it is all said and done, this car is YOURS to play with. Make sure you build it the way you want.

Dima
Flatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 08:42 AM   #10
RCC Addict

7: Get a new ESC. Novak Rooster crawler would be good.
8: If you're looking for a radio, just get an extra receiver to work with ones that come with your Losi trucks. Or, better yet, buy a 2.4 system and a bunch of receivers and outfit all your hotrods too.
9: If you're really serious about this project, you might think about selling the RTR and purchasing a kit and start building.
10: Support your local hobby shop (if they are into crawlers) and get ready to have some fun with r/c rock crawling. It's a blast.
JPH Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 08:00 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

thanks for the replies. I got a 45T Integy motor and a 14t pinion and things are much better. I can't believe this cheapo Integy motor seems to have a much better brake than the stock axial 27T motor. That is awesome, and unexpected, but so far I don't see the truck rolling when on incline without throttle input.