Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Pinion VS Motor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2008, 01:11 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Pinion VS Motor

On an AX-10/ In terms of wheel speed, what would the difference be between a 17 tooth pinion and 55T motor or a 14 tooth pinion and a 35T motor?

With 7.4 volts, which setup would be torquier and which do you think would get better run times?

Thanks...
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2008, 06:03 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvo View Post
On an AX-10/ In terms of wheel speed, what would the difference be between a 17 tooth pinion and 55T motor or a 14 tooth pinion and a 35T motor?

With 7.4 volts, which setup would be torquier and which do you think would get better run times?

Thanks...
Theres alot of choices, im running axial tranmissions in both my crawlers. i have a 21 tooth pinon with stock spur and 45 turn motor and get sick torque out of it! and im running 7.2 3000 mah batteries deans. I also am runnning a 55 turn with totally stock gearing and notice that the 45 is has more torque when there isnt a huge load but when the tire gets real bound up the 55 has more power but the 45 has more hop. The best gearing set up i ever ran was on my wheelie king with a 45 turn mtr 21 pinon and 96 th spur.. it had torque and speed but i noticed that my stock esc also got a bit hot so i had to upgrade. hope that helped.
Toycrawler5481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 06:38 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Wow. That's a big pinion. I tried a 17 tooth and it barely fit. How did you get one that big in there?
Old 06-26-2008, 01:33 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvo View Post
Wow. That's a big pinion. I tried a 17 tooth and it barely fit. How did you get one that big in there?
i had no problem at all, the stock one that comes on the axial rtr should be a 20 tooth pinion, and i just took the one off of my wheelie king and thats a 21 and it fit right in...thats really wierd. send a pic if you really cant fit it in ... i have never had a problem. anybody else encountering this problem? otherwise my advise is run a 45 turn motor with 20 to 21 pinon with stock spur...(should be a 87th i believe) you get nice torque with a bit more top end to gun those hills and hop if you need.
Toycrawler5481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 01:47 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

The AX-10 kit comes witha 14 tooth pinion standard. I stole the 17 tooth off of a TLT I had sitting around.

Anyway... I have decided to keep the 14 tooth and the 55T motor, but switch battery systems to a 3C Lipo.