Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Anyone Used Metal Axles?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2008, 07:02 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Anyone Used Metal Axles?

Was looking for some input on metal axles. I am looking at the ones offerd by golden horizons.
jc052685 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2008, 07:12 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

They are a great way to waste money. There is no advantage over the stock cases.
Josh87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 08:51 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh87 View Post
They are a great way to waste money. There is no advantage over the stock cases.
x2. I really can't think of a better way to waste money than that. They'll get hung up way more than a plastic case. Save your $.
tsaun987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 09:11 PM   #4
RCC Addict

I agree - they aren't necessary. They may and some "bling", but as soon as they get scraped and gouged up, that won't really matter. And while of course it's your decision, personally I don't like the looks of the GH units. If I were to buy any aluminum axle cases, it'd be the RC4WD units that look just like the stockers.

Just my two cents.
Mad Scientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 09:17 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

It just a thought but I would consider metal axles if they split apart on a horizontal cross section instead of the vertical like stock. That way I could keep the stock plastic tops and use the metal bottom ones to add weight below the center of the axle. Its hard to place weight below the center of the axle in a 2.2 class vehicle and maintain ground clearance.
j33pownr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 09:22 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by j33pownr View Post
It just a thought but I would consider metal axles if they split apart on a horizontal cross section instead of the vertical like stock. That way I could keep the stock plastic tops and use the metal bottom ones to add weight below the center of the axle. Its hard to place weight below the center of the axle in a 2.2 class vehicle and maintain ground clearance.
Have you tried weighting your tires?
Mad Scientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 09:42 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Yes. I was just trying to think outside the box and come up with a way to mount weight under the axle. Kind of like a clod with 2/3c packs in the wheels under the knuckle. That way the weight is down low and you retain the stock ground clearance. You really cant get the weight lower than that with out running steel bb's in your tires. To do that you need to remove your foams and also on steep inclines the bb's would roll to the bottom of the front tire moving the cog outward ever so slightly.
j33pownr is offline   Reply With Quote