Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: steering setup

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2008, 09:57 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default steering setup

I keep breaking the left side knuckle were both links connect, i have a set of aluminum ones on order but is there a better way to do the steering linkage as i dont want to start breaking the alum knuckles. the servo is a jr9100t and has been moved to the right for placement of a lipo. are there any advantages of using a split linkage? does the split linkage give more ground clearance and make it easier on the knuckle arms? here is a pic of what i have.

or will this linkage set up work better?
mudboger07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2008, 10:28 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Does your TX have EPAs? The 9100 is a pretty torquie servo, and without properly setting the EPAs, could easily put a hurting on plastic hubs.
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 07:12 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

ya im running a dx6 radio with the epa's set, they seem to break when i get bound up on the rocks... it actually bends the steering arm were the 2 links meet...thats why i was wondering if having each link mounted low on the arm would help with the twisting?
Old 07-03-2008, 08:13 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

It looks like you have both links above the knuckle - this puts extra strain on the arm - try putting one above and one below - I did this before I got the aluminum ones - worked good.
Yawzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 09:46 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

I'll try that tonight,
Old 07-09-2008, 08:25 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

so did you try anything different? I don't think my Hitec 645 will break a knuckle, but I'd still like to pretty much copy your rig. JUST KIDDING
helhedded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 10:11 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by helhedded View Post
so did you try anything different? I don't think my Hitec 645 will break a knuckle, but I'd still like to pretty much copy your rig. JUST KIDDING
Ya i got a set of alum c's and kncukles....lol i just hope the jr9100t doesnt break them.......lol now to upgrade the shocks......
Old 07-09-2008, 11:05 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudboger07 View Post
Ya i got a set of alum c's and kncukles....lol i just hope the jr9100t doesnt break them.......lol now to upgrade the shocks......
It shouldn't break them but you need to sandwich the knuckle with the steering rods.....i have never broken mine and i have a 333oz servo
boost_aholic97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 12:05 PM   #9
varcor.org

the single rod setup you have pictured is mine. i've had no problems with the knuckles but they are aluminum. i'm sure if they were plastic, i would break them especially since i used spacers to move the steering rod high. the spacer increase the leverage on the knuckles.

however, i had your setup before with the tie-rod and drag-link above the knuckles and never broke a set, even with a 333oz servo. i think the issue is just the strength of the plastic knuckles so swapping them to the aluminums you should be fine.
swell searcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 12:08 PM   #10
RCC Addict

the z9100 is about what 340 or 380ish in/oz of torque? thats alot of torque. if your bound up and there is no give in the steering system, your either going to brake, bent some thing, pull out the threaded rod on one piece, or burn out the servo.

in this situation, wouldnt a servo saver be a good thing? it would need to be adjustable somehow, but set it up so it is very stiff. so in most cases it shouldnt effect steerting, but in those cases like above, getting the tires pinched in, the servo saver would give at the high end torque instead of bending/braking a part, or burning up a servo.

is there an adjustable servo saver for these units on the market?
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 12:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmahh View Post
the z9100 is about what 340 or 380ish in/oz of torque? thats alot of torque. if your bound up and there is no give in the steering system, your either going to brake, bent some thing, pull out the threaded rod on one piece, or burn out the servo.

in this situation, wouldnt a servo saver be a good thing? it would need to be adjustable somehow, but set it up so it is very stiff. so in most cases it shouldnt effect steerting, but in those cases like above, getting the tires pinched in, the servo saver would give at the high end torque instead of bending/braking a part, or burning up a servo.

is there an adjustable servo saver for these units on the market?
You are putting way too much thought into it. I have a 5955, alum knuckles with both links above the knuckle. No breakage and I have not fried a servo. If the servo does go I'll call Hitec for a warranty.

In all honesty you really should be able to tell when the servo is stalling out, when that happens, let off the steering a bit. $100 bucks for a servo is quite a bit for me and I treat them nicely. Don't be stupid with it and you will be fine.
whoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 01:17 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by swell searcher View Post
the single rod setup you have pictured is mine. i've had no problems with the knuckles but they are aluminum. i'm sure if they were plastic, i would break them especially since i used spacers to move the steering rod high. the spacer increase the leverage on the knuckles.

however, i had your setup before with the tie-rod and drag-link above the knuckles and never broke a set, even with a 333oz servo. i think the issue is just the strength of the plastic knuckles so swapping them to the aluminums you should be fine.
Thanks swell searcher, i liked your set up, i figured with the aluminum set up it would be harder to break a knuckle but just wanted to see witch set might be better, in yours it seems to give more ground clearance from the arm. but so far witht he new knuckles im not having a problem "yet"...lol but like whoodie said just back off the steering if its binding to much...