Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Articulation, Links & Shock Angle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2008, 08:35 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Articulation, Links & Shock Angle

1. How much articulation is enough??

2. Does shock angle "(F) /------\ (R)" or "(F)I-----I(R)" affect on articulation?

3. WHich is better, longer upper link or shorter upper link?
Speed Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2008, 08:51 AM   #2

Default twisty rigs

In my opinion right out of the box a scorpion has more than enough articulation. They twist too much. I think I do a lot if sidewall driving some places in my course. I would not modify anything to try and get more(tho' I'm not sure you could.)

In a perfect world of off-roading links would all be the same length and parrellel with each other. That is hard to achieve, so try to get them(upper links) as long and as low on the frame as possible. It will really help with the torque twist if you do.

Shock? well they will determine ride heigth any angle you put them but I am not so sure what else they will change so someone else will need to answer that for us.
spencejbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 10:54 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Upper and lower links should be parralell. The flex issue is biased to ones personnel opinion. I like to limit my articulation, a ton of flex will get you in trouble in a hurry on the rocks. I would recomment setting your shocks up to give you 3 inches or ballpark of belly clearance. Also placing the shocks to the furthest position on the axle makes your rig more stable and predictable.
Bananaclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 11:03 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

You can also put the stock travel limiters or pieces of fuel tubing on the inside of the shock under the piston. I put 3/4" fuel line on the inside of the shock and the stock spacers on the outside and get 45-55 deg of articulation. My ride height is right at 2.5" which IMO is a very happy medium.
chops1sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 11:53 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I built my kit with only the one spacer on the outside of the shock body. I had too much articulation and it hurt me in the comp. My rig was over articulating, which caused me to have a small amount of rear steer. So even though it was slight, all of the articulation caused the rear axle to articulate at an angle. This "rear steer" put my lower bent links in a bind, and the torque from the brushless sytem would just rip the set screw right out of the rod ends. After the first time I used heavy duty traxxas rod ends, same problem. I ended up going through about 4 rod ends at the comp, and it cost me a lot of points. I'm building a GC2 comp rig, but I also have two other axial based rigs. If I run anything with stock geometry, I will be limiting the articulation a lot, and running a dual traingulation skid plate, along with the stage two upgrades and lowering the ride height to get the links parallel.
CharliesTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 03:16 PM   #6

why is everyone telling him to run his links parallel. No rule says they have to be...and there is way more to it than them being parrallel on how they react and work. Do a search on anti dive, antisquat, roll center etc...
C Pook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 12:37 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

hmm... thanks guys... I learn alot from all the answers.

BTW, they are not "telling" me to run parallel links... it's just an opinion which most think is better... of course all the considerations must take place for antisquat/dive, roll centre, CG etc.... but we cant really have it all... so one have to resort to the best they can achieve...
Speed Demon is offline   Reply With Quote