Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: strc tranny plate with inboard lower links...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2008, 08:13 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Question strc tranny plate with inboard lower links...

so i installed the new alum. strc tranny plate with the inboard lower link mounts and thought it was going to be awesome.....but, after running it i am really not liking it. Anyone else notice how bad the alum. hangs you up? even the stock plate had better gliding ability. its like an anchor...not sure if it is going to stay on or not. possibly a coating to apply??? Any comments or suggestions?
drilldeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2008, 08:16 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by drilldeep View Post
so i installed the new alum. strc tranny plate with the inboard lower link mounts and thought it was going to be awesome.....but, after running it i am really not liking it. Anyone else notice how bad the alum. hangs you up? even the stock plate had better gliding ability. its like an anchor...not sure if it is going to stay on or not. possibly a coating to apply??? Any comments or suggestions?

No personal experience with the piece but I stick to Delrin and such for a reason.
jwcustomwurks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 08:22 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I may depend on the rocks. My STRC plate slides over the broken concrete on my home coarse MUCH better than the stock plastic one. I also used button head screws instead of the socket cap screws so they don't snag on anything.
FL Knifemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 08:27 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL Knifemaker View Post
I may depend on the rocks. My STRC plate slides over the broken concrete on my home coarse MUCH better than the stock plastic one. I also used button head screws instead of the socket cap screws so they don't snag on anything.

all my bolts are countersunk wherever contact might occur....where can a guy get this derlin stuff??? is it pricey? i am about to put the stock cut plate back on and run it instead...waste of 15 bucks!!!!
Old 07-13-2008, 08:31 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

look in the vendors section.
there is a company selling delrin skids with double triangulation.
Mac10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 08:32 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
all my bolts are countersunk wherever contact might occur....where can a guy get this derlin stuff??? is it pricey? i am about to put the stock cut plate back on and run it instead...waste of 15 bucks!!!!

Delrin is VERY easy to work with.

http://www.smallparts.com/products/d...s/sde-sbde.cfm
Old 07-13-2008, 08:32 PM   #7
TEAM MODERATOR

IMHO,delrin is the best skid material. The aluminum will work decent when new,once it gets beat up a little,it'll start hanging up even worse. Even with a delrin skid that's beat all to pieces,it'll still slide better than a new aluminum skid. Aluminum bling has it's place,not in the skid department though....unless you got a shelf queen.

PM yotachump,he's got some nice delrin skids.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 08:33 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Yeah, had the same experience. Try TCCrawlers for a delrin plate.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 09:06 PM   #9

the reason i got the alum plate was due to the chassis twist! give some take some!
jmdave69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 01:08 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks for purchasing our products. I think it really comes down to preference and more importantly what kind of rocks you're crawling on. We have request similar to yours in making delrin skid plate, yet at the same time we have guys requesting that we put grooves in our existing plate so that...get this, it hangs in position better on the rocks . We will offer delrin plates in the future (and continue to offer our aluminum plates as well) the only thing with delrin is...we can't anodize them

Steve Wang
teamstrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 01:26 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwrighttt View Post
look in the vendors section.
there is a company selling delrin skids with double triangulation.
last i checked he was sold out but is in the process of knocking out a couple more.
that reminds me, i should go check if he has ne in stock yet

*****CDW AX10 Delrin skid plates for double triangulation*****
NeXt559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 01:26 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

hes still out of stock on them............i think ill run the stock one till there are more avail....anyone want a slightly used silver strc inboard link tranny skid??????????????
Old 07-14-2008, 01:29 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamstrc View Post
Hi,

Thanks for purchasing our products. I think it really comes down to preference and more importantly what kind of rocks you're crawling on. We have request similar to yours in making delrin skid plate, yet at the same time we have guys requesting that we put grooves in our existing plate so that...get this, it hangs in position better on the rocks . We will offer delrin plates in the future (and continue to offer our aluminum plates as well) the only thing with delrin is...we can't anodize them

Steve Wang
i live in western colorado so im running on all surfaces from mostly sandstone and conglomerate to granite and man made surfaces....its a total anchor on sandstone but a tiny bit better on granite....i shoulda thought it out better i guess...really wanted the nicely built inner link option tho....:-(
Old 07-14-2008, 02:19 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Spray some PAM on it, nothing sticks to PAM! It should slide right over after that mod!
boost_aholic97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 02:27 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

Quote:
i live in western colorado so im running on all surfaces from mostly sandstone and conglomerate to granite and man made surfaces....its a total anchor on sandstone but a tiny bit better on granite....i shoulda thought it out better i guess...really wanted the nicely built inner link option tho....:-(
I see, yes, I believe sandstone has a much rougher and "edgy" surface than say for example river rock cobbles (which are more rounded rocks, I only know this because I just finished a rock garden in the backyard that have a combination of sandstone and river rocks ). We will offer delrin skid plate in the future as well, as the rock crawling hobbyist become more and more technical, we will follow with more technically specific option parts as well.

Sincerely,

Steve Wang
Old 07-14-2008, 02:29 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by boost_aholic97 View Post
Spray some PAM on it, nothing sticks to PAM! It should slide right over after that mod!
or maybe just WD40? PAM maybe too enticing for ants in the field

Steve Wang
Old 07-14-2008, 02:45 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

I'd like to compare a hardened steel plate to a Delrin one for rock slideability :-P I could be wrong but I think the hard steel MIGHT work better and provide the rigidity needed.
Old 07-14-2008, 03:57 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

I bought a decent delrin skidplate from stage3racing, then modifed it to move my links in even closer towards the center. The main issue I found with their product was that the tranny mount area isn't machined out, so the tranny sits higher up in the chassis.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 07:05 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

i have found a poly material at a local plexiglass shop that is infused with some sort of grease type material that when it is compressed or slid across it self lubricates....or so i have been told....its used on sliders and channels of sorts....im going to try and talk them out of a piece that i can try either to add to the strc piece or fab a new plate all together. anyone tried this yet????
Old 07-14-2008, 07:28 PM   #20

Or one that is already made.
Stock tranny bolt patten as well as R2..

http://www.ckrccrawlers.com/shop/ind...roducts_id=962
vascular is offline   Reply With Quote