Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: completely redesigned my axial

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2008, 01:18 PM   #1

Default completely redesigned my axial

Ok, so this may be a mild build to some but it was a complete change from my old one.

Specs:
Itegy 65t
Tekin ESC
Castle BEC
DX3r and receiver
645mg servos
Axial tranny
Hot racing aluminum C's and knuckles
Losi rock claws 4 oz of weight in each
Modified stage 2 kit
MIP Shafts and drivelines
HPI springs front 60wt oil
Traxxas big bore springs rear 70wt
All shocks are setup 50/50 with internal and external springs
2.5" ground clearance

As it sits on 10/02/09:

Last edited by flexcj5; 10-17-2009 at 10:53 AM.
flexcj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2009, 10:51 AM   #2

Its been over a year since I built this thing. Never had much time to play with it until the last 6 months. I have beat the hell out of it time and time again. I'm very happy with my suspension setup and overall performance, but battery life and steering leave a lot to be desired.

I'm going through steering servos like crazy. Not tearing up the gears but overheating them. By over heating, I mean the servo is too hot to touch.

Battery life is directly related to my six cell saddle packs I'm sure.

I'm in need of a new body and a cleaner wiring setup. Also considering going to aluminum axles as the plastic is starting to wear and I've stripped a few of the screw holes.

So, after all of this, I need suggestions on where to go next.
Old 10-17-2009, 11:01 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

i think it looks good, I thought of gettin Alu axles, till i thought of how may stock ones i could get for the price of Alu. Some may say the stock ones might slide better. Good job, good luck
cornsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 01:19 PM   #4
RCC Addict

i've thought about the alum housings but figured the plastic slides better like said above. what voltage is your bec set at, might just need a stronger servo. toss that tamiya plug for a deans, and the switch to 3s lipo is worth it (even 2s is better than 6 cell)
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 01:27 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

he is running hites servos i dont no anyone that has good luck with them im running jr an never looked back
slowride1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 09:48 AM   #6

Yeah, I need to go to dean plugs but I've been lazy. I'd have to convert may charger and other cars. Considered going to lipos. Probably a good idea.

Been running hitec servos. Blowing through the 645 Metal gear ones. Just put on a HSC-5998 Digital but I'm not a fan of it at all.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:56 AM   #7
Suck it up!

I run the 645mg and the 5645mg and the only problem I have with them is stripping gears. What is your bec set at? Does your steering move freely when the servo is disconnected from it?

Definately get rid of the Tamiya plug, go Deans or Traxxas.

Aluminum axles are a waste of good money. Mine are super worn on the bottom, hell, I even shaved them down to be smoother and they are holding up fine for several months now.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 11:39 AM   #8
RCC Addict

you might need to slow the frame rate on the tx for the non digital servo's.
Old 10-18-2009, 12:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
I run the 645mg and the 5645mg and the only problem I have with them is stripping gears. What is your bec set at? Does your steering move freely when the servo is disconnected from it?

Definately get rid of the Tamiya plug, go Deans or Traxxas.

Aluminum axles are a waste of good money. Mine are super worn on the bottom, hell, I even shaved them down to be smoother and they are holding up fine for several months now.
Hmm, I have no idea on the BEC now. It was designed for my setup when I ordered it but thats been awhile. The steering moves fine on its own. After awhile the servo overheats and quits turning.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:03 PM   #10

x3 on the alu axles. a buddy of mine with alu axles gets caught up all the time, and mine just slides right over, and he has about 500 buks more in mods, but my almost stock truck crawls better....lol
brilamb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:41 AM   #11
RCC Addict

The truck looks good! I remember when my was lookin like that! On the servo, it should be fine with 6cell I run mine and my wifes off 8cell with no problems. It sounds like your endpoints might need adjusting some. That is a easy one to overlook and can really heat up a servo!

-Jason
KrawlOff-Road.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:08 PM   #12
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawler Hobbies View Post
It sounds like your endpoints might need adjusting some. That is a easy one to overlook and can really heat up a servo!
X2

Check them endpoints and your BEC settings. Gotta be one or the other if your steering is not binding up...make sure the balls in the links aren't stuck. It is possible to drive the threaded stud into them too far and pinch them.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:19 PM   #13

Any recommendations for the endpoint settings? I'm willing to bet that's my issue as I've never done much programming to this thing.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:25 PM   #14
Suck it up!

I run a different radio, but I start with my setting super conservative. Turn the wheel one way, start punching up the endpoint untill either the servo runs out of room, or something runs into something else (tires against shocks etc), then back it off just a tad. Do the same thing for the other side.

The whole point is to not overstress the servo by having it try to push against something that isn't going to move, be it an internal limit or an external one.
Old 10-19-2009, 04:21 PM   #15
RCC Addict

money says the non-digital servo don't like the fast speed the tx is sending to it. turn the frame rate down.