Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Binding Issue...Need some help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2008, 08:01 PM   #1

Default Binding Issue...Need some help

I just got my crawler set up and was testing it in the living room only to find out I seem to be having a huge binding issue. When I turn the truck to the right the left rear tire comes up off the ground. It does it whether the rear steer is engaged or not. I also just noticed when I turn the truck to the left it doesn't turn very well...it does almost like a crab walk...and that is when the rear steer is not engaged.

I've included a couple of pictures...the first one shows the rear left wheel coming up when I'm turning the truck to the right. I know the truck is nothing too pretty to look at like some of the others on here but I could really use some help.

I'm running the Axial ESC that came with my RTR truck, a traxxas 2215 receiver, an Integy 55t motor and have the rear steer kit installed as well.

Can anyone help me out with this?
Thanks

evaderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2008, 08:23 PM   #2

Sounds like it might have a problem with one of the axle internal parts. Only way I know is to do a little diagnosis. Pop the dogbone off the yoke of the rear axle and try turning the wheels. See if it seems too stiff or tight. Then try the front. Dont really think it would be the transmission. You may have to take the axles apart and check that all the bearings are fully seated. The bearing in the axle that is in the center where the driveshaft gear goes in can be hard to get fully seated. If it isnt it could be causing the gears inside to mesh too tightly and could cause stiffnes and binding. But, thats just something to check. Hope you figure it out.
thetoptanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 08:28 PM   #3
RCC Paint & Graphics

Just throwing this out there but does your pass. front tire grab the lower link when you turn right because in the first pic it looks very close. If it does this could be causing your suspension to bind when its rolling and thus lifting your rear tire.
Rockthrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 06:03 AM   #4

ok, thanks I will check those things. I also just noticed that when the truck is on the ground and not turned on it doesn't roll freely when I push it...it should shouldn't it?
Old 07-26-2008, 07:19 AM   #5

no it shouldn't roll freely, there should be some resistance. i had the same problem back in the day and it was suspension setup, and screwing around on carpet didn't help issue. it would turn great one direction (the side with torpue twist) and hardly turn the other way. very frustrating
wyocrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 08:03 AM   #6

when I put the truck on the floor...hard wood floor not carpet and push it the tires don't turn it just sort of slides on the floor for a bit...if I push it a bit harder then the wheels turn. On my other crawler...the RTR with the stock motor it turns alot more freely...is that normal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyocrawler View Post
no it shouldn't roll freely, there should be some resistance. i had the same problem back in the day and it was suspension setup, and screwing around on carpet didn't help issue. it would turn great one direction (the side with torpue twist) and hardly turn the other way. very frustrating
how did you fix the problem?
Old 07-26-2008, 08:58 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

The higher the turn motor, the harder it is to turn. 55T motors are all about torque so it resists turning more. Your 27 turn rtr motor is more about speed and has less torque=turns more freely.

Its like roll starting a car. You cant do it in 1st gear = 55T motor
You can do it in 3rd gear = 27T motor.

Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 09:18 AM   #8
RCC Addict

lol i have this problem too

and have come to the realization that there is no problem w/ your rig.
the reason that wheel is coming up is because the diff is locked and there too much traction on the carpet.
*from what i know the main point of haveing an unlocked dif is to prevent this from happening. basically think of it as a race track. the there is less realestate on the inside line of a turn compared to the outside.

im pretty sure that when you take it outdoors you wont have this problem or at least not have it as bad depending on the surface your on

and when it comes to the wheels not turning as far as it should this is mainly beace you have way too much traction on carpet. carpets like velcro to your tires.
to demonstrate: bind one of your wheels w/ your hand and try to drag it along the carpet. notice how much resistance there is now try and do the same thing on concrete. huge difference in amount of traction.
just for fun ive actually taken some carpet and nailed it to a piece of plywood which i put against a wall at about an 80 degree angle. and was able to scale all 10 ft of it quite easyly as a matter of fact

Last edited by NeXt559; 07-26-2008 at 09:39 AM.
NeXt559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 01:55 PM   #9

I run mine on carpet and it might barely pop up an 1/8th inch for a split second if I throttle it real hard. But, I have soft springs on front and a thick spacer on the left rear shock and stage 2 kit installed so I might not be of much help.
thetoptanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 05:03 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

what servo are you running on the front? judging by the looks of the battery on top of it it looks like there is a lot of weight on the front axle. With all the weight on the front and none of it on the rear it might be trying to move the back end (less traction) instead of turning the fronts (more traction). the tire is probably lifting because it is trying to traction roll the back as it slides over. as for turning sharper to one side than the other it is probably due to torque twist. sorry if some of this doesn't make sense, too much caffeine and not enough sleep leads to a little rambling.
twig8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 05:48 PM   #11
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Take the pinion off the motor and make sure the rig rolls freely. The tire lifts with only steering input, or when you give it throttle?
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote