Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Driveshafts Falls

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2008, 09:32 AM   #1

Default Driveshafts Falls

guys

any of you have experience this.

newly assymbled ax10 . play it about 20mins when suddenly the driveshaft falls off on the floor . the part that was removed near the diffcase ( pinion side rear) i check the setscrew on the yoke its there ( its not loose) its tight because i put loctite on the setscrew and dried them for 3days . i also check the other setcrew on the yoke transmission side its still there but its also loose. all yoke transmission side is loose and 1 on the rear yoke falls.

any idea?
aljeann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2008, 10:07 AM   #2
RCC Addict

I had constant problems with the set screws. (Even with LOC-TITE). I used my Dremel and ground down the point of the set screw to a flat surface....then reinstalled and tightened (and used LOC-TITE). All is solid now.
xirtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 11:30 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

what i did was, use an extra set of set screws and put them in the extra holes on the shafts with lock-tight. (i'm probably not the only one that did this.) mine kept on comming loose and that seemed to do it for me. if you dont have any laying around, your LHS should sell them. just bring one to the shop or even the shaft itsself to make sure the threading is the same.

BuzzKilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 02:00 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I have found the main problem to be with the bottom of the threads. You need to run the set screw all the way down and back before you try to attach the drive line assembly to the axle or trans. This will insure there is nothing in the way preventing you from getting a good clamp on the pinion or out drive shaft.
winkscrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 08:05 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

also thread lock
breitenbach14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 08:19 AM   #6

ive done mine today

ive drilled my transmission pinion with a smaller size drillbit and put a smaller (next to the size of the setscrew) i think its 7/32. now u have a tight fit and screw it with loctite, i think its stronger than the stock. my only problem is my hardenned pinion i cant drill it.
aljeann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 01:03 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by aljeann View Post
ive done mine today

ive drilled my transmission pinion with a smaller size drillbit and put a smaller (next to the size of the setscrew) i think its 7/32. now u have a tight fit and screw it with loctite, i think its stronger than the stock. my only problem is my hardenned pinion i cant drill it.
But now your output shaft is weaker because of the hole. I tried locktite and 2 set screws per yolk and they still came undone every run, then I ground another flat spot on the output so both screws now sit on a flat surface and havent had a problem since.
Ax-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 02:58 AM   #8

sorry to high jack but thought as it is on the same thing as you, and not waste a new thread, i have gone to take off my yokes and i can get the ones off the transmission but i cannot get the ones off the diffs, undone the grub screws and all that, tried to use a screwdriver as a little leverage but still no hope, anyone had this happen or any suggestions to fix this,
whitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 06:21 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Would a pinion puller for R/C electric motors work?

Check out the E-Flite ELFA212

Narly1
Narly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 06:29 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

You can also use green locktite between the two joints. I've used it to hold the outer race on bearings to the frame on helicopters to keep the outside from spinning.
tk5028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 08:10 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitty View Post
sorry to high jack but thought as it is on the same thing as you, and not waste a new thread, i have gone to take off my yokes and i can get the ones off the transmission but i cannot get the ones off the diffs, undone the grub screws and all that, tried to use a screwdriver as a little leverage but still no hope, anyone had this happen or any suggestions to fix this,

Heat it up a little and pry it off with a flathead. I had to really reef on it to pry the old ones off but they came off.
Hildy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 08:28 PM   #12

what do i heat it up with. Just a cigarete lighter or do i need like a little blow torch
Old 08-12-2008, 01:39 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hildy View Post
Heat it up a little and pry it off with a flathead. I had to really reef on it to pry the old ones off but they came off.
did that this after noon worked a treat. Cheers now i just have to figure out how to get the stripped grub out of the yoke at the other diff