Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: This blows!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2008, 04:43 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default This blows!!!

Well this morning I pulled out my tranny and DNA dig to send it to DNA so that he could set it up for me(another story another time). So my rig was without a tranny. A friend of mine when he ordered all his crap from CKRC he got the upgrade package with the R2D2 tran and a bunch of other stuff. So he had his stock transmission already put together just sitting in a box. So I went and borrowed it for the weekend. I put it in and went outside to test it out and I was out there maybe 4 minutes and I barely even had the tires in a bind and something stripped out in the transmission. So I brought it in the house and pulled it apart and the small gear between the bigger output gear and the input gear stripped about 2 teeth off of it. So now I have no tranny again. I swear this is getting ridiculous trying to get parts in here that can handle anything. I have beat the piss out of mine and have not had any problems with my tranny and I stick his in there and stip out that gear in less than 5 minutes. And of course we do not have a local hobby shop so I cant just go and try to find another one. I guess I will be ordering upgraded parts for my tranny. Ok rant over.
robert97dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2008, 05:08 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Well I did find out why it broke. And now I know why I havent had any problems out of mine. He left the pin out that goes through that gear and the 2 bearings and keep the gear in line. Without the pin there is a little bit of room for the gear to move around some. I am gonna take and cut down a drill bit and maybe if the gear is held in place it will get me through the weekend. I did find that RC4WD makes a steel gear set for the these tranny too.

Old 08-15-2008, 06:03 PM   #3
ghetto fabulous newbie

You can also buy Hot Racing aluminum tranny gears from TCS.
yotachump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 06:52 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Robert swear to god you have paid your dues to the crawler gods it's going to get easier soon hang in there man.

Last edited by Stormin2u; 08-15-2008 at 07:48 PM.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 07:36 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotachump View Post
You can also buy Hot Racing aluminum tranny gears from TCS.
I saw those too. Not sure but I would think that the aluminum would be better just because of the weight. The nylon ones have held up this long as hard as I am on them and I havent had any problems out of them. I put the cut down drill bit in there and just went and bashed on it for about 2 hours and 3 battery packs and no problems at all!! Thats pretty good when I can go that long without breaking. So far I have been lucky at the comps I have only had to take on repair and that was when my dig was not working because I messed up the remote. I had the linkage zip tied to the chassis to hold it in 4wd and I guess the tie stretched and I had to take a repair to tighten it up.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:44 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Actually the indifferent materials will last and work great for the gears.
The aluminum ones are hard anodized, like a case-hardening for alum. I'd run the HA alum output, plastic idler and HA alum input.
JeepinDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 10:58 PM   #7
TEAM MODERATOR

Aluminum outputs are just silly. Why bother?

I'm running the HR aluminum gears in my Axial tranny thats in my super class rig. 10t puller on a 3 cell with a VERY heavy throttle finger. No issues at all. Stout little tranny once they are set up right.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 11:05 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Don't look at me , I didn't rec'd alum output shafts, just the gear.
Traditionally the output shafts and output gear are an assembly, not like the above pic.
I have one steel output shaft and I'll prolly make a a steel output shaft for the DNA.
JeepinDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 04:12 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert97dodge View Post
I am gonna take and cut down a drill bit.......
I might be going out on a limb a bit here, but the AX-10 tranny design looks very similar to several other 1/10th electric trannys, most notably the Associated Stealth.

It might be possible to sub in an idler shaft from one of these other kits.

I don't have an AX-10 tranny apart to measure the idler gear shaft to compare to, but I can tell you that Axial shaft runs on a 5mm (aprox 0.197") ID bearing and that the Asso shaft is 3/16" (.1875") in dia. and 11/16" in length.

Hopefully this saves you some time making a new shaft,

Narly1
Narly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 06:56 AM   #10

i dont know what you are doing to strip tranny gears but ive twisted 3 stock drive shafts and 4 stampede shafts and the trannys still fine
ax10ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 07:07 AM   #11
RCC Addict

So what you are saying is that you sent your whole trans into DNA for them to set your dig. You borrowed your friend's trans and it broke because he didn't build it properly and now you are mad at ...... What? Your friend? Axial? Who?

If built right the gears in the trans will last as long as it takes the cases to wear out where the shafts sit. Then slop will develop and the gears could conceivably strip. Otherwise it's called USER ERROR.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 07:55 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreCee View Post
So what you are saying is that you sent your whole trans into DNA for them to set your dig. You borrowed your friend's trans and it broke because he didn't build it properly and now you are mad at ...... What? Your friend? Axial? Who?

If built right the gears in the trans will last as long as it takes the cases to wear out where the shafts sit. Then slop will develop and the gears could conceivably strip. Otherwise it's called USER ERROR.
I am not mad at any one. I was saying that this sucks that I broke that in 5 minutes. THEN I came back and stated that the reason why it stipped out the gear was because the tranny was assembled with a part left out. I am not blaming Axial by any means. I am actually really impressed that the stock gears have held up in my transmission as long as they have. I drive my rig very hard and it takes a lot of abuse so if it holds up then it must be a decent part.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:32 AM   #13
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ax10ny View Post
i dont know what you are doing to strip tranny gears but ive twisted 3 stock drive shafts and 4 stampede shafts and the trannys still fine
Quote:
Originally Posted by AreCee View Post
Try putting some horsepower in your rig. The tranny gears will strip pretty easy. I'll be the first to give props to Axial for this tranny. It's a great set up. Everythings got it's limit though. In most 2.2's,the stock gears will hold but the outputs are weak. I'm pretty sure Axial didn't really design this tranny for a 2 horsepower outrunner or cobalt pullers on high voltage. Once they are upgraded though,they'll hold their own running more power. I've gone through 2 sets in my 14r running either a 3025-8 or a 10t puller on a 3 cell. In my 2.2 running a 35t,they look new.

I've got aluminum gears in my 14r tranny now and there's no issue. I can hammer that rig as hard as I want....or until the spur strips. My fuse is the spur,everything else will hold.

Last edited by Reflection; 08-16-2008 at 10:38 AM.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 12:58 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

I noticed RPP has the aluminum spur gears now too. I have already broke a rear output. That is when i went to the dig unit. If I didnt have a dig then I would have the chormoly outputs.
Old 08-16-2008, 01:36 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I noticed RPP has the aluminum spur gears now too.
Stay away from aluminum spur gears...you want your spur gear to be your "fuse".

Quote:
If I didnt have a dig then I would have the chormoly outputs.
You can still run a chromoly output on the front. I use a (long side) CDW 6mm chromoly output (with my DNA dig unit) for the front to clear the spur gear and I use the DNA rear output for now until i get around to machining a 6mm chromoly output for my DNA dig unit.
Trugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 01:46 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trugg View Post
Stay away from aluminum spur gears...you want your spur gear to be your "fuse".

You can still run a chromoly output on the front. I use a (long side) CDW 6mm chromoly output (with my DNA dig unit) for the front to clear the spur gear and I use the DNA rear output for now until i get around to machining a 6mm chromoly output for my DNA dig unit.

I would be interested in buying a chormoly rear output when you get around to machining one!!!
Old 08-16-2008, 10:03 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I would be interested in buying a chormoly rear output when you get around to machining one!!!
Im not going to be selling any.... Sorry, but i will only be making 1 or 2 for personal use.:-(
I would love to be able to sell them, but I would never "step on another companys toes", especially DNA.
Hopefully they will come out with a their own chromoly dig outputs, that would be nice.
Trugg is offline   Reply With Quote