Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: HBZ AX10 Build Stage 2: East End Machining, Mayhem, and CDW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2008, 10:08 AM   #1
Im Brandon

Default HBZ AX10 Build Stage 2: East End Machining, Mayhem, and CDW

HBZ AX10 Build Stage 2: East End Machining, Mayhem, and CDW

After my initial runs with the HBZ tuber and ARTR drive train I was quite impressed, however there is always room for improvement.

I knew the axles definitely needed some strengthening. I have seen a few STRC parts and the machining looks great as well as the colors.

I did some research and ran across East End Machining in the vendors forum. Visited their site and was blown away! They have a TON of parts in stock for the crawlers and their inventory continues to grow. It was nice to see a full line of STRC parts also available so I placed an order and all my parts arrived in a few days.

Check them out at: http://www.eastendmachining.com/

For this build I also decided to change out the wheels. The Axial beadlocks are nice but I wanted something with a metal hex and more weight. Mayhem Engineering beadlocks were perfect for this build. Great looks and heavy. They held the Pro-Line Hammers perfectly. I am leaving these tires on this rig, they hook up really well. Only thing I might do is put some grooves in the lugs similar to what Franky Rizzo did.

I was lucky enough to win the CDW Axial outputs from Yotachump in his giveaway thread last week. He shipped them out to me right away and they will be the perfect addition to this rig. That Cobalt puller has broken plenty of parts and the stock axial outputs are definitely a weak link.

Another product you might see is the new FubarCrawlers AX10/Berg custom engraved stands. Keep an eye out for these in the vendors section soon!

Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2008, 10:14 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Man that looks nice. Gawd I can't wait for my Warthog to get here.
ElkySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 10:52 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

It's looking great, Brandon. I can't wait to get started on my build with all of the STRC parts that I've got coming. I'm also looking forward to an ARTR tuber build.

I think the STRC orange parts look great with that project, and it's definitely giving me some ideas.
CharliesTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 11:14 AM   #4
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

What, it's not a Berg !!!!, Just joking that is a great looking rig. East End Machining has a great web site with a lot of parts.
chip cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 11:28 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

great lookin wheels. have you stripped out the hex in the axial's yet?
smm_cbf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 02:12 PM   #6
Im Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkySS View Post
Man that looks nice. Gawd I can't wait for my Warthog to get here.
Thanks you ElkySS, you are going to love it! Such a nice tuber

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharliesTheMan View Post
It's looking great, Brandon. I can't wait to get started on my build with all of the STRC parts that I've got coming. I'm also looking forward to an ARTR tuber build.

I think the STRC orange parts look great with that project, and it's definitely giving me some ideas.
Looking forward to seeing your build Charlie. I agree, the orange is perfect! Way more bling than I am used to, but I think its growing on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip cross View Post
What, it's not a Berg !!!!, Just joking that is a great looking rig. East End Machining has a great web site with a lot of parts.
Wait until you see what Stage 3 will be for this build Not bergs but something very similar, And brand NEW

Quote:
Originally Posted by smm_cbf View Post
great lookin wheels. have you stripped out the hex in the axial's yet?
Yeah I have stripped a few, but just from driving too hard. They work just fine and cant beat having beadlocks included in a kit!
Old 08-24-2008, 02:47 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

How long did it take for you to get yours from the time you ordered it to some shipping info? I placed my order on Tuesday. From what I hear they have been catching up on orders for the Pro Comp so I hope it ships soon. I also placed an order at RPP for the new Losi Rock Carvers that are on Pre-Order. I have no idea when they will ship either. Be nice for them both to show up at the same time.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:10 PM   #8
Im Brandon

First thing I wanted to do was take care of the plastic nuts that are included with the ARTR kit. I made sure to swap all those out for SS nylocks.

Removed the axles:

Here is a quick comparison pic between the STRC (silver) and the axial straight axle shafts

Everything bolted together really smoothly and the STRC parts from East End Machining look killer!

For those who were worried, here is a pic of the HBZ Carbon fiber side plates after some use, they haven't shown any signs of wear compared to the plastic skid and aluminum links

Old 08-24-2008, 06:35 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

wow your building what i want my ax10 to look like some day lol.
superdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 06:46 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

very nice
Georgerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 08:01 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Slick rig, the orange is just too sweet
CreepyCrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 12:36 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Damn you Brandon you need to tell me when you get all this kool stuff.
drumbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 02:58 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

How do the steering knuckles compare to the RCP knuckles as far as steering throw?
LIKES2CRAWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 03:44 PM   #14
Im Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdude View Post
wow your building what i want my ax10 to look like some day lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgerm View Post
very nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreepyCrawl View Post
Slick rig, the orange is just too sweet
Thanks guys The orange is a little bright for my taste but it has grown on me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumbeater View Post
Damn you Brandon you need to tell me when you get all this kool stuff.
From my friends over at capital one, they sent me this sweet card that lets me buy anything I want

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIKES2CRAWL View Post
How do the steering knuckles compare to the RCP knuckles as far as steering throw?
The STRC knuckles are copies of the stock AX10 knuckles. Its not hard to get the extra throw from them though
Old 08-25-2008, 04:02 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

My Pro Comp shipped today... Can't freaking wait. I am currently stripping all of the green off of all of my links and such. Going to try to polish them all up so they kinds match the chassis.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:41 PM   #16
Im Brandon

Updates

Check out the CDW outputs for the axial tranny! I was lucky enough to win these in a giveaway, perfect for this build.

Ordered some Venom D-Shaft collars from East End Machining as well. The allens they came with didnt fit the set screws. Sent an email off to Venom to see if they care. Other than that they slid right on and should do the trick. This rig is currently powered by a Holmes Hobbies cobalt puller and 11.1V so keeping the driveshafts on were a serious problem. I wonder what the weak link will be now?? You can also see the CDW outputs installed, they fit perfectly.

Front and Rear axles mounted, here is a pic of the rear. I have some work to do on the front.

So I couldnt stand having the servo so high, and centered on the axle. When its in the middle you end up with a short drag link which basically wastes the power of the servo during the end of its travel. I took the servo plate and made a few modifications

Now I need a new lower servo mount

Finished! Big difference. Now I also have more room and easier access to my battery pack.

Last edited by Brandon; 08-25-2008 at 07:11 PM.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:04 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

thats one sick lookin rig. keep up the good work
88toyota88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 07:12 PM   #18
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

I dig the black & orange scheme. Too bad they didn't offer the shaft collars in the matching orange.
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 08:41 PM   #19
WWW.THEROXBOX.COM

Dude, That is looking sweet ......... My Warthog also is getting ready for its stage 2 build... all the parts are finally here....

keep us up to date on the stages ....
The Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 10:01 PM   #20
Im Brandon

Last bit of work is complete. Steering is finished with a new SS drag link. Wheels are back on.

What do you guys think?