Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Tuber Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2008, 06:29 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Tuber Questions

Is the Warthog really that much of a performance upgrade? Just curious. Not that badly priced, and am wondering how it stacks up to the stock AX-10 chassis design. I'm still a little new to crawling and am looking for a top notch upgrade and wanted to know how tubers do overall. I'm looking into getting comp ready, just for when one rolls my way.

Also, I assume the tubers are comp legal, but just want someone to confirm that to.
FireWire79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2008, 06:48 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Just about all the tubers people sell are comp legal including the warhog. Tuber have pros and cons to traditional chassis setups. It is all how you set them up.
Tubers can be much more difficult to flip over in comps once you are upside down, and they usually are much heavier that a plate chassis, so you need to adjust (put more) wheel weight to get the COG (center of gravity) below the tube frame.
The pros are that they are smaller and can squeeze through tight spots without getting hung up, you have more options for how you want your rig set up and I think they just look better. But it really all depends on how you set up your ride, both tubers and traditional chassis are highly functional when set up correctly. And how much you practice driving counts alot as well. If you like the warhog then go for it, the important thing is that you get what you like, it's you rig.
Wild Snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 06:52 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I just ordered one of these. If you want a tuber and don't want to blow lots of cash, check these out. The first pics of these tubers are not how they are currently, Trost has redesigned them so they don't look so boxy, check out pages 4,5,6 for newer pics. Good luck
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=109267
Wild Snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 07:22 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the tips. Looks like I'll be getting the warthog. Comes with all the panels and covers a little more of the front end of the rig and can offer a little more protection.
Old 08-29-2008, 07:47 PM   #5
RCC Addict

i ve been looking at a tuber latly also. at first it was between the Warthog and the Edge from TCS.

then i seen the DMG aluminum cage and its pretty nice as well.
another really good looking tuber is the new Sinastir X-79 unit.

i, myself, liked the look of the DMG unit, but once i seen it all mounted up, for some reason i lost the luster it had. but none the less if a very compatible unit and does look good.

the Sinastir also looked good alone, though i do like the looks of it much better once installed, but looks is a personal thing.
www.teamsinastir.com

EDIT: i want to add, i dont own any of these units. havent made up my mind yet. just what cought my eye as a nub crawler looking at the same thing.

Last edited by Timmahh; 08-29-2008 at 10:21 PM.
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 08:08 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Good call on the sinastir tubers. looks nice, clean colors, and looks like it can take a beating.

Looks like most people are running droop on their tubers. Any reason for this? Is droop really that much better than the traditional style setup?
Old 08-30-2008, 04:35 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireWire79 View Post
Good call on the sinastir tubers. looks nice, clean colors, and looks like it can take a beating.

Looks like most people are running droop on their tubers. Any reason for this? Is droop really that much better than the traditional style setup?
Because they are so stinking top heavy and people have a hard time getting the weight low unless they set them up with droop shocks.
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 10:06 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Weight being such an issue with tubers, has anyone created a list of tubers chassis and their respective weights?
Tommy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 10:33 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

I just upgraded to one of the Pro Comp Warthog chassis. Ran it at my first comp on Sat. It did really well. I could tell a major difference in the way that it stuck to the rocks. There were places that I know my stock chassis could not have made it and the Warthog did it without any problem. Not to say that it is not without it cons, but I have not found them yet... I did break a lot of stuff this weekend but none of them were due to the chassis. I think it was my driving that broke so much stuff.

And I run sprung front and read. I think I got my CG pretty low.
ElkySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 10:53 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Nice! What kind of dig are you running? I'm hoping there's ample room for a DNA/VF dig in there.

Tommy
Tommy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 11:19 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

I have one of the DNA digs from a ways back. I just put in a 7T puller as well and it fits nicely.
ElkySS is offline   Reply With Quote