Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Droop suspension for Ax-10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2008, 03:03 PM   #1

Default Droop suspension for Ax-10

I was wondering how to set up a droop suspension for the ax-10, i heard that you have to put internal springs but what springs do you use and how do you put them in?

thanks in advance...
pyromaster55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2008, 03:10 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Depending on what type of shock oil weight you are using, you may not want internal springs. Typically the springs will go on top of the piston in the shock. You can experiment with that, though. Just mess around with different set-ups.

here is what a bunch of people are doing... read up.
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/searc...archid=2074334

Last edited by helhedded; 09-04-2008 at 03:13 PM.
helhedded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 03:19 PM   #3

kool thanks
pyromaster55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 03:39 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I am using the stock axial shocks with spring under the piston in the shock. I am using 1000wt oil in the shocks. I like droop way better than sprung shocks. I also put 2 stock spacers on the shafts outside the body for ride height. My GC is right at 2 1/4" You just have to try it for yourself. I like it.
chops1sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 11:13 PM   #5

do you have any pics of the droop setups that you are running i am curious as to what you are using and how it looks
dancomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 07:34 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancomer View Post
do you have any pics of the droop setups that you are running i am curious as to what you are using and how it looks

I'm actually rebuilding my axial shocks for droop. In my opinion the Losi crawler shocks (that I recently picked up) are too short for droop. So now I will have 2 sets of shocks, one sprung and one droop. I went by the lhs yesterday and picked up some traxxas big bore caps and some green slime. Hopefully the green slime will keep them from leaking. I can take some pics tonight and post them up for you.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:23 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I used teflon tape on my stock axial shocks to prevent them from leaking and create a tighter fit for the cap. The caps no longer pull off and I got rid of the o-ring.
mulepic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 10:51 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by helhedded View Post
I'm actually rebuilding my axial shocks for droop. In my opinion the Losi crawler shocks (that I recently picked up) are too short for droop. So now I will have 2 sets of shocks, one sprung and one droop. I went by the lhs yesterday and picked up some traxxas big bore caps and some green slime. Hopefully the green slime will keep them from leaking. I can take some pics tonight and post them up for you.

Which chassis are you running? I can see the Losi's being too short if you are using the AX10 chassis...but if you are using the shorter comp chassis, the Losi's are quite nice. I tried the HR all alum ones on my shorter comp chassis, and they were just too long. (I am running this in full droop with NO springs.)
xirtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 10:52 AM   #9

Quote:
I can take some pics tonight and post them up for you.
that would be great, i would love to see it
Old 09-05-2008, 01:04 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by xirtic View Post
Which chassis are you running? I can see the Losi's being too short if you are using the AX10 chassis...but if you are using the shorter comp chassis, the Losi's are quite nice. I tried the HR all alum ones on my shorter comp chassis, and they were just too long. (I am running this in full droop with NO springs.)
you nailed it. stock right now.... do you have any suggestions of a chassis that will work well with the Losi's?

I've always thought that it was better to have a longer shock than a shorter one, since you can always limit them, rather than adding to them. Did you limit them and where they still too long?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancomer View Post
that would be great, i would love to see it
Old 09-05-2008, 01:36 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
you nailed it. stock right now.... do you have any suggestions of a chassis that will work well with the Losi's?
Check out the CDW chassis, very versatile chassis for droop setups. I'm using Traxxas Big Bore shocks with mine, internal springs from TCS, 80wt oil in all four shocks, but I think you could use a very wide variety of shocks with this chassis running droop.
Ced RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 02:00 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ced RC View Post
Check out the CDW chassis, very versatile chassis for droop setups. I'm using Traxxas Big Bore shocks with mine, internal springs from TCS, 80wt oil in all four shocks, but I think you could use a very wide variety of shocks with this chassis running droop.

I already love everything that comes out of CDW, so I think I may have my mind set on that one. thanks!
Old 09-05-2008, 07:37 PM   #13
RCC Addict

If I was to buy a new chassis today, it would be the new CDW chassis. I saw one up close and it is truly a beauty (Thanks to CED). Maybe my "winter rebuild" will include this one.

At this time I run the Reign J2-TT Narrow chassis. IT is dialed in pretty good, so I will not change it until after this local comp series is over in Late September.

I have NO limiters in the shock to limit drop, but I do have a 1/2" spacer under the rod end to give me my 2-1/2" of GC.
xirtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 08:00 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

I must give credit to xirtic for helping convince me to switch over to full droop, I was running my previous rig semi droop, but after I studied all the chassis' out there and thought long and hard about the next rig I wanted to run...... This was the result:
Attached Images

Old 09-05-2008, 08:04 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

CDW Proto Chassis, relaxed suspension a little over 2.25" belly clearance, fully extended almost 3.75" belly clearance.

Notice in the first pic that the only object above the tops of the tires is the spur gear, low COG....
Old 09-05-2008, 08:44 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

I'm using Losi 100wt oil, some fuel tubing and no springs. I've seen many try to go droop with axial shocks without using fuel tubing or bumpstops to get a decent ride height. You need it with these long axials. I modified my traxxas caps to fit a rod end, since the mount hole was so tiny. I used Losi bladder caps instead of o-rings.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:50 PM   #17

im going to have to try that and see how well it works for me, great setup
Old 09-05-2008, 10:12 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

I forgot to add that I had to limit inside the shock as well.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:46 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

What I wonder is what would be better, to run shorter shocks in a standard style outer spring, or Losi shocks with a droop set up. I plan to try both. I thought the more flex the better, but I have found that my car gets stuck more because it flexes into some funky positions.
tedmales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 11:56 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedmales View Post
What I wonder is what would be better, to run shorter shocks in a standard style outer spring, or Losi shocks with a droop set up. I plan to try both. I thought the more flex the better, but I have found that my car gets stuck more because it flexes into some funky positions.
anything more then about a 12oz can of coke or similar in height imho is too much. and i run 50/50 setup on my rig rear sprung, front droop with 1" internal springs the shocks have been flipped and the spring is on top of the piston. ride height around 2 and 5/8ths. you do get into weird positions with droop i admit but with a little practice you will figure out how to steer/push the tires up/down/in/out of those positions and it makes it that much better.

-tre
akguanja is offline   Reply With Quote