Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Too much flex

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2008, 06:25 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Too much flex

At first I thought it was a good thing, but now I can see that it greatly reduces my control. I'm hoping that someone on here could tell me some suggestions on how to control (correct) this.

I"m running hot racing bent lower links front and rear

four link mount on rear

internal springs (med)

Thick ass Lucus gear oil in the shocks

The truck side hills and hill climbs really well, the problem is that as soon as things get technical, it flexes out to the point that all control is gone.

I don't wanna go droop because I want my clearance. My wife is running full droop with 35wt and it controls very nicely though. What can I do?
Dollarhide is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2008, 06:53 PM   #2
RCC Addict

try a four link set up in the front and rear.

the set up will help reduce ur articulatin making your suspension much more predictable
NeXt559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 06:57 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

thanks, i was even thinking about making some limitation straps to put a stop to the excessive wheel travel. (look super bad ass too) Anybody on here make them to sell?
Old 09-08-2008, 07:02 PM   #4
CBR
Rock Crawler

You could also try shorter shocks, like T-Maxx. Thats what I use.
CBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:08 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Add a spacer on the shock shaft and limit the amount of articulation. I would add it on the inside of the shock body, but you like your current ride height, so that won't do. You'll have to add the spacer on the outside of the shock. Or, drive your wife's crawler and give yours to her.
zoojunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:13 PM   #6

I've got the bump stops inside the shock bodies to get the ride height and fuel tubing on the outside to limit travel. Easy, cheap, and tunable.
cognogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:26 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I've got the bump stops inside already. It seems to me that the hot racing links actually rotate and that provides even more travel. I've also moved my links inboard. I'm just a victim of overkill i guess. And as for trading my wife. She says no, She is the driver and mechanic of her rig as well.

Here are some pics of the excessive travel

Old 09-08-2008, 07:46 PM   #8
CBR
Rock Crawler

HOLY ARTICULATION BAT-MAN!!!Is 90 degrees really enough? HAHAHA!
CBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:48 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Fuel tubbing works great, cut a few peices at different lengths and pic the one that gives you the travel you are looking for
mudboger07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:50 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

use some fuel line and put it on the shock shaft , at the bottom of the shaft where it mounts to the axle...that will limit the amount of travel you have...
needs2hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 09:24 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by biteme View Post
use some fuel line and put it on the shock shaft , at the bottom of the shaft where it mounts to the axle...that will limit the amount of travel you have...
actually, to limit articulation, you need to put the tubing ( I have used vacuum tubing in addition to fuel tubing) on the shock shaft below the piston, them put the shaft back in the shock body.

I would also put much stiffer internal springs in, you can probably find springs at your local hardware store; think it out, experiment a little, I'm sure you will find something

Last edited by stublet; 09-08-2008 at 09:28 PM.
stublet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 09:49 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollarhide View Post
I've got the bump stops inside already. It seems to me that the hot racing links actually rotate and that provides even more travel. I've also moved my links inboard. I'm just a victim of overkill i guess. And as for trading my wife. She says no, She is the driver and mechanic of her rig as well.

Here are some pics of the excessive travel

From these pics, it doesn't look like you have any spacers on the outside of the shock shaft. I would put .5" of fuel tubing to your shock shaft, at least this will help control the amount of shock compression at its top limit. From the pic it also looks like you still have full shock travel. Ax10s came with some really long shocks, I know, cause I had to replace mine with something shorter so I could get rid of the stiction in the shock shaft because of too much shaft movement. The cheapest way is add spacing outside and inside on the shock shaft. Otherwise, start looking for shorter shocks.
zoojunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 10:51 PM   #13

(i dont think thats his truck, just an example)

i made limiting straps from com tiny steel cable and crimps from lowes.

tie em from the center upper cassis support to the link plate and your axle will only travel down that far then the weight of the rig will fall to what ever tire is in the air and you have weight on the tire that needs traction.
Texas_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 05:13 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Nope, that's my rig