Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: clock tranny, center driveshafts, reduce torque twist

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2008, 09:21 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default clock tranny, center driveshafts, reduce torque twist

Hi All,
I searched around but didn't find any info on rotating the tranny to center the driveshafts. Yes it would raise the motor but has anyone tried it? Maybe the benefits out weigh the downside. Any info and/or pictures are much appreciated.
mulepic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2008, 11:51 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

How about those that are running narrowed skip plates. That would make the driveshafts more centered, do you feel this helps reduce the torque twist? What's the width of your skid plate?
Old 09-09-2008, 11:51 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

I don't see where it would change anything. The torque is still being applied no matter where the shafts are. If you look at the "mirror" mod for the tranny, the position of the shafts are changed but the twist is still there. I may be totally wrong, but that's what I think.
chops1sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 12:58 PM   #4

I would say that since most things that apply to the 1:1 world apply to our crawlers, low center of gravity rules. Take a look at 1:1 comp "moon buggies". Their driveline setup is almost identical to the AX10. Axle torque can be fixed by arm length and angle setup.
overkillphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 01:45 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by chops1sc View Post
I don't see where it would change anything. The torque is still being applied no matter where the shafts are. If you look at the "mirror" mod for the tranny, the position of the shafts are changed but the twist is still there. I may be totally wrong, but that's what I think.
The twist is still there, but with the mirror mod, the weight of the motor is working against the twist rather than promoting it. With a 4link rear and a mirrored tranny, that pretty much takes care of the twist as much as you're going to get on a shafty. There are of course minor tweaks and mods with your shock setup as well, but the 4 link and mirror mod are the two big players in REDUCING torque twist. Unfortunately, with a shafty, torque twist of at least some amount will always be there...but you can at least make it manageable.
Boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 02:07 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcabner View Post
With a 4link rear and a mirrored tranny, that pretty much takes care of the twist as much as you're going to get on a shafty.
You are right about that. I have done both as well as double triangulation of the lower links and raising the rear upper links on the chassis side. I eliminated most of my twist. The only time mine wants to twist up is if I am trying to hit a very steep slope or starting to climb a tall rock. Once I get it going I just let off the throttle to let the right front settle back down then off I go! On the inclines I just keep it going and steer back and forth to bring the tire back down. I have a video I am editing now that shows a perfect comparison between mine and my friend's AX-10. I will post it once I am done.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:42 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

So is the true reason for the torque twist b/c the driveshafts turn in the same direction? If so has anyone tried to create a small gear unit attached a output shaft to reverse one of driveshafts? You'd have to flip over one of the axles as well so that all the wheels go in the same direction.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:51 PM   #8

The only problem with that (besides mounting holes) is the pinion would be placed lower and in harms way.
overkillphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 04:44 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Here is a link to my video. the first clip shows how his crawler twists vs. mine with none. You might as well enjoy the whole thing though!

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showt...69#post1338669
Old 09-10-2008, 04:59 PM   #10
MODERATOR™

The mirror mod was brilliant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulepic View Post
So is the true reason for the torque twist b/c the driveshafts turn in the same direction?
It's a result of the rear axle's pinion gear trying to climb the ring gear (when moving forward). Any resistance against the rear tires makes it more difficult for the pinion gear to turn the ring gear, and thus resistance against the transmission trying to turn the driveshaft. The motor tries to turn everything but can't and therefore the chassis leans over. Something has to give, and it's the left rear suspension in the Axial's case.

Dialing in suspension geometry (and other things like weight placement) will force the suspension action to counteract against those forces.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote