Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Battery Placement?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2008, 09:41 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Battery Placement?

I have an ax 10 rtr, with 6 CELL 7.2 venom battery, And I'm trying to find a new location for it other than the battery plate on top, until i get a split pack.

I have been messing with it for an hour or so now and cant not find a place to relocate it.

Any suggestions?
jmantalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2008, 10:31 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Place on the servo, along with the car if you know what i mean.
Haziza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 12:12 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Flip the battery plate upside down so that the electronics are on the top. You'll also need to flip the plastic brackets that hold the battery plate to the chassis, so the tabs are also upside down.

Once the battery plate is upside down, you can use the front slots and the velcro strap to secure the battery UNDER the plate, sticking out through the front shocks. This will help lower CG and put more weight forward. It's a kludge solution, but it's the cheapest way to go (FREE) until you get split packs.

I did this to my RTR and ran it like this for a week or so before purchasing the Servo/battery tray. Last week I modified my 6-cell pack to move the 2 end cells under the 2 middle cells, and it now fits perfectly on the front axle now (with the servo/battery tray). This should hold me over for a few weeks until I can get a Lipo charger and a 3S 2000mah Lipo pack from Maxamps.com.
XPLORx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 03:00 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

You could always convert your stick pack into a hump shape so that it wraps around the steering servo. you do this by repositioning the last two cells. The pack ends up in a /----\ shape if you get my drift. You will also need to get a couple of solder-type battery bars as the pack was likely built up with lasered-on tabs.

Narly1
Narly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 03:22 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

You can actually do what i did. I relocated the battery plate on the front axle. I removed the front servo and redrilled some hooles on the battery plate thus puting the plate on the axle across.Then i relocated my servo to the rigth if you look at it from the front,redid my servo arm and wallahhh.I lowered my cg. This can work temporarely if u are suing a stick pack until you guet a 1800mah lipo.

Last edited by edward87; 09-13-2008 at 03:32 PM.
edward87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 04:32 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Edward, nice job, I just might have to do that myself.
tk5028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 07:31 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk5028 View Post
Edward, nice job, I just might have to do that myself.
Thanks, it really takes nothing but a drill and some allen tools to que t the job done with out spending any money. But if you are gonna do this mod you will have to break your nickle hydrate pack and resoder it back so it fits the space you have, Or just buy some cheap lipos from ebay, make shure you buy 11.1volt 3s lipo.You will like the power that comes out of the battery. Hope this helps.
Old 09-13-2008, 07:38 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Not a problem, already done. I have it split up as a saddle pack already. I was going to make some plates to bolt to the axle but I like this idea better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edward87 View Post
But if you are gonna do this mod you will have to break your nickle hydrate pack and resoder it back so it fits the space you have,
Attached Images

Old 09-13-2008, 07:52 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

looking good. have you minimise your torque twist? I also recomend some wideners.I got mine from www.atomicmods.com It made a huge of a diferense, turning wise and more space to put the battery.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:12 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Ok, so I fliped my battery tray, and mounted the battery under the the bottom, Lets hope that helps a little. thanks allot guys.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:31 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Here are some pics of the swapped tray.

Old 09-13-2008, 11:35 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

The battery under the tray will help with CG but I would be concerned about rolling over and damaging your Rx and ESC. I am making triangular pieces out of fiberglass and mounting on the upper links to mount the Rx and Esc on. I'll try to post some pics tomorrow. If you look at other AX10 some people have done that with good success.
Old 09-14-2008, 12:47 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

I fabricated a piece of tin and made it into a battery tray and removed the old tray completely, I started with an rtr and have changed alot of things on it but you would be amazed what you can do with some tin snips and a dril. Long story short move it one of the axels easiest out of the box is on top of the front servo.
bolibruch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 09:14 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

thanks so much for all the help guys! Well I finished moving it around and found a place yesterday and tested it out 2 day Here Is what i finished with.

I also made some custim upper link plates to relocate the esc. Thanks again guys! turned out great!
Old 08-14-2009, 06:51 PM   #15

i a also thinking about getting a rtr but in some help with the battery and charger.
i am getting rtr from tcs and these are what i have for the battery http://www.tcscrawlers.com/Batteries-p-1-c-123.html i am not sure if i should go with the 6 cell 1500mah 7.2 split pack for performance and less running time or the 3600mah 7.2 venom stick pack for more running time. this truck is not going to be in any comps it is just a truck i am going to have fun with in my backyard and inside it is more like a basher.
can some one plz answer

Last edited by <<<ash>>>; 08-14-2009 at 08:16 PM.
<<<ash>>> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 06:56 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Either way.
acrosteve is offline   Reply With Quote