Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: My DIY Driveshafts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2008, 04:15 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Lightbulb My DIY Driveshafts

I got tired of the stock Axial shafts popping and spinning off...yeah I know...they make shafts...but I like the process of making my own parts. It took about 2 hours to get the basic functional shafts mocked up and ready to test...here is how I did it.

Supplies & Tools

Stick of round 3/8" inner diameter steel
Stick of round 3/8" inner diameter steel
2.5" piece of spline steel
Drill
1/16" Steel drill bit
1/8" long Set screw (I used a metric 3)
Grind/cut off wheel

Step 1

Cut your notches into one of of the square tube, then cut it to apprx. 1 inch. Once you have the notches cut, go ahead and drill the holes for the joint connection.

Step 2

Take your piece of spline steel and drive it into your new square joint until it reaches the end where your tabs are..then go ahead and attach the swivel joint.

Step 3

Notch the circle piece of steel in the same fashion as you did the square one...then cut it to around 2 1/4 inches. Go ahead and drill your holes into the tabs and attach the swivel joint. Now at the end of your new piece, drill the hole that you will use for your guide screw (use your 1/16" bit). Go ahead and tap for your screw and screw the guide screw in.

Step 4

This step is easy....just stick it on your rig...and test it for fitting and clearance!

I hope this helps someone out there!! You can also round the square tubing off with your grinder if you are worried about it sticking to rocks.

Here is a small link to a vid showing movement.... http://s511.photobucket.com/albums/s...rrent=axle.flv
Dr. Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2008, 04:19 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Cool, They look like they can take a beating, haha. Myn are already starting to become a little warn.

Any ways, great JOB! looks great.
jmantalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 04:21 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmantalk View Post
Cool, They look like they can take a beating, haha. Myn are already starting to become a little warn.

Any ways, great JOB! looks great.
Yeah...good luck on hurting these things! Now we'll see what the next weakest link is.
Old 09-15-2008, 04:49 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Interesting DIY. I hope that guide screw is strong enough to withstand all of the torque being transferred from the outer tube to the splined tube. How much did it all cost you?
XPLORx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 05:21 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by XPLORx4 View Post
Interesting DIY. I hope that guide screw is strong enough to withstand all of the torque being transferred from the outer tube to the splined tube. How much did it all cost you?
It has thus far...over 2 hours of testing and it's holding strong. It cost around $20 for everything...but I have enough material to do 10 or so shafts out of the tubing!
Old 09-15-2008, 06:41 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Why not use the round on both ends instead of the square on one end? Instead of a guide screw in that end, you could just use a small screw as a pin to keep them from spinning. Just a thought.

I like it. Creative.
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 06:44 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvo View Post
Why not use the round on both ends instead of the square on one end? Instead of a guide screw in that end, you could just use a small screw as a pin to keep them from spinning. Just a thought.

I like it. Creative.
I actually have one like that I'm doing now...great minds think alike...lol! Thanks for the comments!
Old 09-15-2008, 08:19 PM   #8
RCC Addict

This "spline steel" .....kind of looks like a "roll pin", would that be correct?
Cave Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 09:33 PM   #9
RCC Addict

great Idea! Can I suggest maybe 2 or 3 screws in the slot. I think thats the weakest link. great job. I like your 4 link suspension! How is that working? Matt
SDheavymetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 07:30 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Anthis View Post
This "spline steel" .....kind of looks like a "roll pin", would that be correct?
Correct sir!!
Old 09-16-2008, 07:32 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDheavymetal View Post
great Idea! Can I suggest maybe 2 or 3 screws in the slot. I think thats the weakest link. great job. I like your 4 link suspension! How is that working? Matt
Great idea! The four link is doing killer...just been messing with different rod lengths to get the right clocking on the axle. Once I have it set where I want it, I'm going to fab up something! Thanks for the comments!
Old 09-16-2008, 07:31 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

i was at work today and thought about this drive shaft and something i seen on xtreme 4x4 they made their own drive shaft and the used tube like you did but with out the pipe they had two diffrent size tube steel one slide into the other and it didnt need a guide pin and you could make the yokes just like you did on both sides
whitetshirtguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 08:05 PM   #13
RCC Addict

In the 1:1 world many front drive lines are made of sqaure tubes that slide into each other.They are very strong but normaly have a LOT of run out and wear bearings out fast in the transfer case and pinion. This will eventually have the same effect , but it is cheap and creative.
Cave Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 12:02 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Anthis View Post
In the 1:1 world many front drive lines are made of sqaure tubes that slide into each other.They are very strong but normaly have a LOT of run out and wear bearings out fast in the transfer case and pinion. This will eventually have the same effect , but it is cheap and creative.
Correct but with the square DLs they are pretty much a 4 spline unit (due to the 4 corners) this has 1 spline. Dont look to strong to me.... put a puller motor on it and see what happens

Its a good idea but with the many variates of materials out there and the "small in size" we have to deal with, you could have built a more sound unit. Oh and integy makes steel drive lines for 30 bucks a set.
JokersWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 12:11 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

I would suggest using key stock for the male shaft. get a piece that fits in the square tube. It will be like 1:1 using reciever hitch stock for there front drive shafts that way! nice idea though

Last edited by bigflex; 09-19-2008 at 09:09 AM.
bigflex is offline   Reply With Quote