Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Chassis question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2008, 08:42 PM   #1

Default Chassis question

I made this one separate because I didn't want to mix the two up. I have an aluminum chassis that has bent enough on both sides that the chassis is no longer square. I thought about getting another chassis, but I'm starting to think that I would be better off sticking with something as close to exactly like what I have. The reason for that is that I've become accustomed to it, and I am finally close to where I want set up. I have a friend that owns a machine shop, with the CNC machines, etc. I thought about just giving him the basic specs and having him make some.

That begs the question of Delrin or Aluminum, and where would I get delrin for him to work with.

And on the note of Delrin, I had some long tubes of delrin that I put in a vice and heated up to bend, which worked. But I found that you can melt it and, unlike most plastics, it seems to harden back in the same form with the same strength. If that is, in fact, the case, could I just make a form from aluminum or something like that and melt the delrin into the form? Doing this would allow me to make flat "plates" of delrin that I could either cut down to make my chassis, or give my machinist buddy to make the chassis with. Either way, I would be able to make some use of all the old links that I have sitting in a bag that I can't use anymore. And maybe save some money.

Does anyone have any in depth experience working with Delrin? And could they tell me more about it?

Thanks!
austinquattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2008, 09:00 PM   #2
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinquattro View Post
I made this one separate because I didn't want to mix the two up. I have an aluminum chassis that has bent enough on both sides that the chassis is no longer square. I thought about getting another chassis, but I'm starting to think that I would be better off sticking with something as close to exactly like what I have. The reason for that is that I've become accustomed to it, and I am finally close to where I want set up. I have a friend that owns a machine shop, with the CNC machines, etc. I thought about just giving him the basic specs and having him make some.

That begs the question of Delrin or Aluminum, and where would I get delrin for him to work with.

And on the note of Delrin, I had some long tubes of delrin that I put in a vice and heated up to bend, which worked. But I found that you can melt it and, unlike most plastics, it seems to harden back in the same form with the same strength. If that is, in fact, the case, could I just make a form from aluminum or something like that and melt the delrin into the form? Doing this would allow me to make flat "plates" of delrin that I could either cut down to make my chassis, or give my machinist buddy to make the chassis with. Either way, I would be able to make some use of all the old links that I have sitting in a bag that I can't use anymore. And maybe save some money.

Does anyone have any in depth experience working with Delrin? And could they tell me more about it?

Thanks!

If you want a new chassis and are happy with your current suspension set up. My chassis will work with Axial components with even more adjustments than the stock chassis has.

Delrin,although it's a good material to use,it's also dirt cheap. A sheet of black delrin big enough to cut out a chassis,will only cost a couple bucks. It's not hardly worth the effort to melt it down to make a sheet out of little parts.....even if it would hold up to that. I've never tried melting it down,it may very well hold up to that. It just ain't worth the trouble. The best thing to do with your extra parts,old links and what ever else....just hold on to them for making other parts. I've turned down some awesome body post from some little pieces of round delrin.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote