Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

View Poll Results: anodizing color scheme
black chassis, black links 9 42.86%
black chassis, red links 8 38.10%
silver chassis, black links 0 0%
silver chassis, red links 4 19.05%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: TK-Twister chassis coming soon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2008, 03:19 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default TK-Twister chassis coming soon

This is one of 2 chassis being machined right now. Being a CNC machinest, I always enjoy making my parts and standing out a little. I have designed a few chassis and tried them out with some success and failures. Over SARCCA's summer season I ran my own chassis and did quite well with it. I finished 2nd at the AZ summer shoot out with it. Here is that build link Tk Twister Chassis Fiberglass And Delrin.. That chassis will one of the styles I will be selling with some strength modifications. All the chassis will be made out of 1/8" Aluminum. My second chassis which is pictured here is my newest design is about 9.5 in long and uses 3" shocks. What you see is one of my prototypes that I am running. The chassis kit will contain two side plates of your choice "long or short", a delrin skid plate drilled for the Axial tranny and double triangulation, two 1/4" dia cross braces, four 1/4" upper links, four 1/4" dia lower links, and a custom 4 link rear mount. When used with the Axial axle it will assemble right at 12.5" I am hoping to have these available by the end of the year. I am shooting for sooner if all goes well. Right now I am working out the final details of naming the chassis and some anodizing color schemes. My target price for sale for this whole kit hopefully will be between $60-$80. I will know more once I get some pricing in on manufacturing. The beadlocks you see are also coming, the bolt directly on to the Proline rims. If you are intersted drop me an email and will let you know as soon as available. Right now I am not taking any preorders but like I said drop me a message and you will be put on a list

1. Here is the empty frame. The frame width is 3" inside and the skid plate is 2.5" front to back. As you can see I have incorporated many shock positions to choos from. Also the shock mounted are desighned to rotate around the centerline of the lower shock mount. This way you can change your shock position within the same row without effecting your ride hieght. I have built in 3 different upper link mounts to adjust the anti squat of your setup.

2.Looking down looking down you can see the double triangulation setup

3.angle shot

4. side view

5. shock mounted inboard

6. Space for tranny with dig

8. low center of gravity

9. Axial XC-1 Mounted

10. These are some pice with the first trip out on the rocks. It did run well and then I came home and tore it back down

Last edited by TK-twister; 10-19-2008 at 05:40 PM.
TK-twister is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-2008, 03:29 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

I like it but, most people are going to say:

its too long
the shock mounting doesnt allow for enough articulation (for some people)
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 03:42 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Default Small version

This is the smaller version chassis I mentioned. This is a prototype also. Everything will bolt up the same as the longer chassis except this one uses 4" shocks and they are more angled than the longer chassis. Skid plate and links will be the same as the longer version. It allows you to decide what kind of chassis you would like to go with.

Last edited by TK-twister; 10-19-2008 at 05:42 PM.
Old 09-19-2008, 03:45 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

focus on the smaller version, you'll prolly sell more.

Just a hint, if you want to be succesful....testers... send out free ones to well known people on the board that will post up detailed builds. It helps a ton, trust me, I speak from experience.
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 04:59 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Thanks for your input. I will post some pics soon showing the articulation of the longer chassis with 3" shocks

Last edited by TK-twister; 09-19-2008 at 09:32 PM.
Old 09-21-2008, 07:52 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

These are some pics showing the articulation that can be acheived with 3" shocks. More articulation can be acheived with the short version chassis.

Last edited by TK-twister; 10-19-2008 at 05:44 PM.
Old 09-28-2008, 05:51 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Default Final design

As you can see from the first photo there are alot of mounting hole for the shocks. I thought at first this would give alot of options, but the more I experimented the more I reallised that most of the outer holes would not be used. In the second photo you can see the final design in which I removed the 3 outer rows of mounting holes. This reduced some high weight and allowed the body to lower another 1/2" on the chassis. Right now I am also working on a chassis that will hold a cobalt since this one will not.

1. initial prototype

2. more of a final design look

3. The XC-1 body sits nice and low.

A member of our club has the Stage Killah body mounted on his and it sits very nice. More to come soon

Last edited by TK-twister; 10-19-2008 at 05:45 PM.
Old 09-29-2008, 07:14 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Default My Build of the TK Twister

Well Fellas, I was lucky enough to score one of these awsome chassis. Look for my build thread this week! Its almost like this chassis was designed for crawlin!!
The Real Dogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 12:47 AM   #9
RCC Addict

hmmmm., nice, looking forward to hearing about the performance. How much is it going for? Looks like maybe the ends are too long for what is needed. ??? Nice looking.
5150bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 12:55 AM   #10
RCC Addict

The ends have been trimmed back. What you see there is a prototype version. I have trimmed all of the holes on the upper shock mount completely back except for the center-most set of holes. On the next version the holes up top have been rotated towards the center of the chassis, around the lower shock mount pivot. In that configuration you can set a Stage Killer down on it beautifully, kinda like that chassis was built for it!

I will have a build thread of mine, up this weekend!
Old 10-03-2008, 07:26 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

If you look at the shock towers in the first few pics compared to the pics with the orange body you can see the shock towers outer three rows of holes have been removed. This is more of the final version. I tried mounting the shocks in all the holes to see how it worked and those outer holes made the truck so stiff even with the softest springs I could find. I am looking at a cost of $60-$80 shipped to anyone in the lower 48. My costs are not for sure yet, but it will not be any higher. These chassis will be made in the USA, and as I said earlier you will have 2 choices of chassis, which will include 2 aluminum side plates, delrine skid plate, aset of lower and upper links, set of cross braces, and the rear upper plate for the axle. The skid plate will be drilled for an Axial tranny and I am supplying the links because they are specific to the chassis. More to come

Travis
Old 10-04-2008, 05:21 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-twister View Post
If you look at the shock towers in the first few pics compared to the pics with the orange body you can see the shock towers outer three rows of holes have been removed. This is more of the final version. I tried mounting the shocks in all the holes to see how it worked and those outer holes made the truck so stiff even with the softest springs I could find. I am looking at a cost of $60-$80 shipped to anyone in the lower 48. My costs are not for sure yet, but it will not be any higher. These chassis will be made in the USA, and as I said earlier you will have 2 choices of chassis, which will include 2 aluminum side plates, delrine skid plate, aset of lower and upper links, set of cross braces, and the rear upper plate for the axle. The skid plate will be drilled for an Axial tranny and I am supplying the links because they are specific to the chassis. More to come

Travis
very nice...., Just curious, when you say "links because they are specific to the chassis" Did you run it through a program to test the squat and geometry?

thanks.

would really like to see a pic of the revised dogman.

Last edited by 5150bronco; 10-04-2008 at 05:22 AM. Reason: add...
Old 10-04-2008, 08:50 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

The link I will be providing with the truck when built provides a 12.5" wb using double triangulation. I deceided to provide the links because many people don't have the equipment to make thier own. The stock Axial linka are about 1/4" too long. I am not saying you can use other or make your own. I am looking at it from a point of how easily can someone get it assembled.
Old 10-04-2008, 05:10 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Great looking chassis

What are the benefit of the double triangulation compared to stock ?

Only thing I would add was an extra 3 holes for the upper link
like this

SnoopMaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 05:24 PM   #15
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

Sweet chassis. Maybe I'll do my next build with one of these. The "choice of 2 chassis"...is that whether you want a long or short version, or does it have something to do with colors? I like these types of packages where the links come with the chassis, just one last thing to do when ya build it.
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 05:29 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

double triangulation helps reduce axle steer. Buy mounting all you links towards centerline of your truck the axles wheelbase will remain more consistant
Old 10-04-2008, 06:32 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Looks good!

I dig the chassis braces.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 06:57 PM   #18
RCC Addict

OK guys, sneak peak of my build. While scouting a new comp location I had a good chance to test the TK Twister Gen2. I have to say, I am completely satisfied at its performance in intial testing.

a few pics:
Sorry to jack your thread off, Travis

And we had a visitor that wanted to ride that badass rig!!
He drove into and out of that position
"Trust Your Line, Driver!!"

Oh and BTW, Killer Location Travis, Great find Buddy!!

Last edited by The Real Dogman; 10-05-2008 at 12:02 PM.
Old 10-12-2008, 04:21 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

I am going to start the manufacturing of these this week. i will have a release date real soon
Old 10-13-2008, 02:08 AM   #20
RCC Addict

Keep us updated. i am interested in pics/prices.